Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GREYHOUND ALUM

Huge Performances By MD Athletes At Penn Relays!

19 posts in this topic

People aren't paying enough attention to the outstanding track athletes Maryland has right now. Some huge performances. Poly's William Henderson won the long jump Championship with a jump of 25'2(wind aided). That's a huge jump and believe he will definitely get the state record. McDonogh's Dalton Hengst won the boys Mile with a time of 4:09.99 and he's only a junior. Oxon Hill broke a 28 year old state record in the 4x800 relay with a time of 7:40.35 in the Prelims and was one of the favorites to win the Championship of America but ran 13 seconds slower.

Gilman and McDonogh both won their heats in the 4x400. Bullis ran a super fast 3:13 in the 4x400 to win their heat and make the Championship of America. But only ran a 3:17 in it and came in 7th. Wouldn't have mattered because the Jamaican team broke the meet record with a 3:08.

Great time for area track. BTW, 21 of the first round draft picks in this year's NFL draft were high school track athletes.

I'm sure I could look it up, but any idea what Centrowitz ran as a junior?

I'm sure I could look it up, but any idea what Centrowitz ran as a junior?

Not sure what he ran as a junior, by his state record in the mile is 4:04.09. Will be tough to beat but possible for Dalton.

People aren't paying enough attention to the outstanding track athletes Maryland has right now. Some huge performances. Poly's William Henderson won the long jump Championship with a jump of 25'2(wind aided). That's a huge jump and believe he will definitely get the state record. McDonogh's Dalton Hengst won the boys Mile with a time of 4:09.99 and he's only a junior. Oxon Hill broke a 28 year old state record in the 4x800 relay with a time of 7:40.35 in the Prelims and was one of the favorites to win the Championship of America but ran 13 seconds slower.

Gilman and McDonogh both won their heats in the 4x400. Bullis ran a super fast 3:13 in the 4x400 to win their heat and make the Championship of America. But only ran a 3:17 in it and came in 7th. Wouldn't have mattered because the Jamaican team broke the meet record with a 3:08.

Great time for area track. BTW, 21 of the first round draft picks in this year's NFL draft were high school track athletes.

Bullis boys and girls finished 5th in the Championship of America 4x100. 

Thanks very much for those updates!

Sorry about that, I knew that and didn't post.

MD always has had a following for track

Jermaine Lewis to Kyle Farmer Ato Modibo and countless others

Man Penn Relays

If you haven't attened put it on your to do list

Man Penn Relays

I was fortunate enough to have run at Penn three years and jump two. Amazing experience.

Jermaine Lewis, haven't thought about Jermaine in a long time. Know him very well. Funny thing about Jermaine, he was horrible up until his junior year in track. Ran youth track against him often, he was a year younger. He ran for Glenarden and I ran for Ed Waters in the city. We use to stomp them! Swear to God I believe their coaches got those kids on the juice. Jermaine was like a 11.8 sprinter and then became a sub 11 guy in the matter of months. And it wasn't like he grew. It wasn't just him though, was the whole team. We still beat them but it was definitely a battle.

Baltimore has a long history of great track athletes. Unfortunately, more than a few got caught up in the streets. Olympians James Carter and Bernard Williams are two that made it out and seriously, they were like the fourth and fifth best in their age group on Ed Waters.

Man Penn Relays

Local track is huge! Cant wait to make a trip to Penn Relays!

I was fortunate enough to have run at Penn three years and jump two. Amazing experience.

Jermaine Lewis, haven't thought about Jermaine in a long time. Know him very well. Funny thing about Jermaine, he was horrible up until his junior year in track. Ran youth track against him often, he was a year younger. He ran for Glenarden and I ran for Ed Waters in the city. We use to stomp them! Swear to God I believe their coaches got those kids on the juice. Jermaine was like a 11.8 sprinter and then became a sub 11 guy in the matter of months. And it wasn't like he grew. It wasn't just him though, was the whole team. We still beat them but it was definitely a battle.

Baltimore has a long history of great track athletes. Unfortunately, more than a few got caught up in the streets. Olympians James Carter and Bernard Williams are two that made it out and seriously, they were like the fourth and fifth best in their age group on Ed Waters.

I was there and Ed Waters was our comp but never Stomped US..... GA for LIFE!!!!  

I was there and Ed Waters was our comp but never Stomped US..... GA for LIFE!!!!

We stomped you guys until your coach put that juice to work. Jermaine, Mancel, all of them somehow lowered their times by almost a second in less than a year. You guys then started to win some of the sprints and 4x100. I ran the 4x400 and jumps. Don't recall ever losing a 4x400 to Glenarden and I never lost any jump event to anyone from Glenarden. I use to punish your star jumper. Can't remover his name, it was a girl's name. He transferred to school in Cali and had some big jumps out there but I still beat him at nationals.

DeMatha finished 3rd in the Large School 4X100 at 42.27, The Jamacia team 1st at 41.71.  Pretty good for a sophomore relay team.

We stomped you guys until your coach put that juice to work. Jermaine, Mancel, all of them somehow lowered their times by almost a second in less than a year. You guys then started to win some of the sprints and 4x100. I ran the 4x400 and jumps. Don't recall ever losing a 4x400 to Glenarden and I never lost any jump event to anyone from Glenarden. I use to punish your star jumper. Can't remover his name, it was a girl's name. He transferred to school in Cali and had some big jumps out there but I still beat him at nationals.

Shanti Williams 91 we made Nationals in 4x4 and 4x8 but got in Trouble in Frostburg and everyone got kicked off team but me.  92 wasn't even a question...... Stuckey and I had the greatest 4x4 anchor leg race I was ever in at some youth nationals in VA.  still never Punished.   

Posted (edited)

Shanti Williams 91 we made Nationals in 4x4 and 4x8 but got in Trouble in Frostburg and everyone got kicked off team but me. 92 wasn't even a question...... Stuckey and I had the greatest 4x4 anchor leg race I was ever in at some youth nationals in VA. still never Punished.

Shanti, that's exactly who I'm talking about. Kid could never beat me. You were a little younger than me if you ran against my man Anthony Stuckey. Stuckey was an absolute beast. But the man in the younger age group(probably two years younger than you) was little Derrick Smith(RIP). Kid never practiced but broke every youth record. He ran a 46 second 400 at like 14. He was on the same team every year with James Carter, they broke every relay record.

Now Glenarden girls team, they completely dominated us!

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

It's crazy with all those great performances at Penn Relays the Sun chose to ignore them all and give athlete of the week to a golfer from BL.

It's crazy with all those great performances at Penn Relays the Sun chose to ignore them all and give athlete of the week to a golfer from BL.

Totally agree!

That's just terrible! Henderson and Hengst are All Time talents. Olympic hopefuls if they keep up the pace their on. The only thing I can think of, did the two already won AOTW this year? I know you can't win it twice.

Msj finished 6th

Gilman beat MSJ yesterday to win the MIAA regular season title. Should be a very good Championship meet, see if Gilman can bring the title back home.