Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meth007

Too much damn football

26 posts in this topic

I was speaking to a mother yesterday and her 8 year old son played tackle last fall from July to December, from March to current now.. and will start up more tackle again in July. Is it me or is this too much contact football? By the time our athletes hit high school what shape will their bodies be in?

I like high schools process with tackle in the fall and 7 on 7 only on the spring. Your thoughts?

I was speaking to a mother yesterday and her 8 year old son played tackle last fall from July to December, from March to current now.. and will start up more tackle again in July. Is it me or is this too much contact football? By the time our athletes hit high school what shape will their bodies be in?

I like high schools process with tackle in the fall and 7 on 7 only on the spring. Your thoughts?

A bleeping men

Posted (edited)

Young kids are playing contact football 9-10 months a year. High school, college and pro have limits for contact but youth does not. Money making post-season tournaments, spring leagues, all star games, etc. result in some kids playing 40 plus games in a year when you include organized scrimmages.

When you consider the fact that many youth players play both sides of the ball, the impact on the brain is even more significant. Concussions are not the primary problem when it comes to long term brian injuries. It is the volume and duration of the sub-concussive impacts that really cause the long term brain issues and the impact of this will surface for these kids until many years down the road.

Like I said, high school, college and pros have rules to protect them, but youth football players with developing brains do not. We will see a lot of young men with CTE in the near future who never played a down of college or pro football becuase of this. We will also see a bunch of lawsuits.

Edited by aacountyfootball

Entirely too much and would never recommend it! 

Young kids are playing contact football 9-10 months a year. High school, college and pro have limits for contact but youth does not. Money making post-season tournaments, spring leagues, all star games, etc. result in some kids playing 40 plus games in a year when you include organized scrimmages.

When you consider the fact that many youth players play both sides of the ball, the impact on the brain is even more significant. Concussions are not the primary problem when it comes to long term brian injuries. It is the volume and duration of the sub-concussive impacts that really cause the long term brain issues and the impact of this will surface for these kids until many years down the road.

Like I said, high school, college and pros have rules to protect them, but youth football players with developing brains do not. We will see a lot of young men with CTE in the near future who never played a down of college or pro football becuase of this. We will also see a bunch of lawsuits.

You will also see a bunch of kids burnt out of football during high school. To much like a job, not fun like it should be

We should ban 1) spring football 2) all K-12 kids playing more than 17 games per year.

I would bet those same kids are doing other sports as well during the same time...at that age kids should be playing 3 sports in 3 seasons.  However would like to see Maryland allow spring practice or give more hours during the summer to help prepare players for the heat and for college.  A lot of kids who go to the next level (more on the lower levels) have no idea what they are getting themselves into because we restrict rules in our state.  Makes it tough to compete with other states.

I would bet those same kids are doing other sports as well during the same time...at that age kids should be playing 3 sports in 3 seasons. However would like to see Maryland allow spring practice or give more hours during the summer to help prepare players for the heat and for college. A lot of kids who go to the next level (more on the lower levels) have no idea what they are getting themselves into because we restrict rules in our state. Makes it tough to compete with other states.

Only southern schools have spring football and it doesn't make them that much better. Spring football for K-8 is nutty.

Only southern schools have spring football and it doesn't make them that much better. Spring football for K-8 is nutty.

The southeast is the best area of football in the country, must be doing something.  Just think Maryland publics should be able to do more during the spring/summer

I think this is an interesting study about kids playing one sport year round.  I agree with spreadball, play a different sport every season.  I know tournaments in the summer are great recruiting tools for schools and kids, but I don't like to see kids going every weekend. 

The body and mind need a time to heal.  Kids do not know how to organize and play games among themselves, so we as a society feel compelled to organize for them.  I have 2 sons two years apart that have so many other options, they do not go out and play like we use to.  My brother and I played catch or one on one basketball in the driveway everyday in the summer.  My kids sit around until the next summer league game or 7 on 7.  When is the last time you drove by public courts and saw a pickup game?  Everything has to be scheduled and officiated.  I am just spouting off.  I think the "fun" is missing out of athletics for some of our youths.

http://portcitydaily.com/2017/02/28/sports-health-study-pros-say-single-sport-athletes-more-prone-to-injury-burnout-and-hampered-recruitment/

I think this is an interesting study about kids playing one sport year round. I agree with spreadball, play a different sport every season. I know tournaments in the summer are great recruiting tools for schools and kids, but I don't like to see kids going every weekend.

The body and mind need a time to heal. Kids do not know how to organize and play games among themselves, so we as a society feel compelled to organize for them. I have 2 sons two years apart that have so many other options, they do not go out and play like we use to. My brother and I played catch or one on one basketball in the driveway everyday in the summer. My kids sit around until the next summer league game or 7 on 7. When is the last time you drove by public courts and saw a pickup game? Everything has to be scheduled and officiated. I am just spouting off. I think the "fun" is missing out of athletics for some of our youths.

http://portcitydaily.com/2017/02/28/sports-health-study-pros-say-single-sport-athletes-more-prone-to-injury-burnout-and-hampered-recruitment/

Coach you are 110%right, everything needs to be officiated because it's all about winning. The fun has definitely been taken out of the game for many kids. I still love to watch the rec games that are not your top dog leagues, the kids are out there playing for the fun of the sport. You see them smiling when they come off of the field. It sad the way things have become

100% agree.  I know some high school kids are playing in spring leagues right now that don't end until late June.  I believe these leagues include younger kids too, like 8U, 10U.  That is just ridiculous.  These kids are playing full contact starting in February, going into June, then have to get right back to it in early August when fall practice starts.  Simply too much contact.  I absolutely HATE that these leagues exist.

Now, I do feel that MD should consider allowing a 2-3 week Spring Ball period for high schools, where limited contact is allowed.  In that time period, teams could get the basics of their O and D at least partially installed, which would be a huge jump-start come the start of practice in August.  The 7on7's are great (better than nothing I guess) but real spring ball would be so much better.  

I would be ok if we could have team practices that were no contact.  Make them purely install days, that is what they do in D3 football.  Spring drills is non-contact, no equipment.  The NCAA just adopted a no double sessions, how long until the high schools follow suit.  Spring drills would be even more important to having teams prepared to run their offenses and defenses in the upcoming season.

I would be ok if we could have team practices that were no contact.  Make them purely install days, that is what they do in D3 football.  Spring drills is non-contact, no equipment.  The NCAA just adopted a no double sessions, how long until the high schools follow suit.  Spring drills would be even more important to having teams prepared to run their offenses and defenses in the upcoming season.

Doesn't the MIAA already have a rule that bans two a days?

They can have double sessions, only one with contact

I could totally get on board with that as well.  Allowing for the install time is the most important factor.  That could certainly be done without contact.  

You play TO win, but play for FUN.  One of the problems with everything being scheduled and officiated etc..  Winning becomes more important than having fun.  If you played pick up basketball your whole life, or wiffle ball with the neighbors, you lost.  You sat on the sideline until it was your turn to play again.  How many times on the playground the losing team said, "Let's run it back!" You were playing because you wanted to play.  Losing wasn't the end of the world.  Now when you play once a week in front of your family and friends, it becomes about winning.  If you don't win, you are a loser.  I hate that all playing has to be done in a league setting. 

Not only that, if one team was blowing another team out, kids would try to balance the teams out and make them competitive.  They want to play in competitive games.  My football team started getting together last summer to play softball.  I had nothing to do with this, the seniors just told everyone that could make it, to show up.  They talked about the softball games all year.  They had days where it was skills against bigs, Seniors/sophomore vs. Juniors.  They would relax, have fun, cut up on each other, and wasn't a damn parent or coach anywhere near them.  I wish more of this would happen.

Great ideas buy the older guys

I know spring football isn't new.......but with a lot of these spring teams having coaching staffs affiliated with high schools......and young kids wanting to be seen....could the high schools ( mostly private ) be at fault for the popularity of spring tackle football? I know DeMatha, St. Johns, Good Counsel, Pallotti, Friendship Coll. ( just off the top of my head ) all seem to have coaches on the staffs of these spring teams..........even at the GYFL this past weekend, several college coaches, current college players and rising college players were in attendance watching this weekend

I know spring football isn't new.......but with a lot of these spring teams having coaching staffs affiliated with high schools......and young kids wanting to be seen....could the high schools ( mostly private ) be at fault for the popularity of spring tackle football? I know DeMatha, St. Johns, Good Counsel, Pallotti, Friendship Coll. ( just off the top of my head ) all seem to have coaches on the staffs of these spring teams..........even at the GYFL this past weekend, several college coaches, current college players and rising college players were in attendance watching this weekend

The private schools definitely play a major part in it. The promoters of the leagues themselves have a lot to do with it too. Want to make the fall select team? You have to play on the spring team.

It's a shame because it's not healthy, it's not making the kids better, it'll burn the kids out more quickly and it's unnecessary. The stat I saw was 88% of all 250+ NFL draft picks played multiple sports in HS. I'm sure the number would be even higher if you go back to youth leagues.

Now you have USA football with full padded development camps in the summer as well.

It's possible for an 8th grader to play fall rec league from July-November/December, indoor football from January-March, spring tackle from April-June, USA football camps in July and high school practice in August. That's 16 straight months of contact with no break. You're just asking for something bad to happen at that point.

The private schools definitely play a major part in it. The promoters of the leagues themselves have a lot to do with it too. Want to make the fall select team? You have to play on the spring team.

It's a shame because it's not healthy, it's not making the kids better, it'll burn the kids out more quickly and it's unnecessary. The stat I saw was 88% of all 250+ NFL draft picks played multiple sports in HS. I'm sure the number would be even higher if you go back to youth leagues.

Now you have USA football with full padded development camps in the summer as well.

It's possible for an 8th grader to play fall rec league from July-November/December, indoor football from January-March, spring tackle from April-June, USA football camps in July and high school practice in August. That's 16 straight months of contact with no break. You're just asking for something bad to happen at that point.

Agreed

To add more fuel to the fire...I would bet that Public HS coaches really hate that players are even more exposed to Private poachers...sorry recruiters...sorry coaches