Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
poefolks

Raven's go back to their roots

15 posts in this topic

This is just my take using the recent draft as evidence - The team tried a multi-year experiment with offense and now that experiment has come to an end. We are seeing the results of what was learned.

After the Superbowl win when Flacco played the best football of his life and the Veterans who were the identity of this team left, the Front Office embraced the league's overall shift toward offense, and decided to change its DNA reflecting that offensive philosophy while hoping/betting Flacco had turned a corner and become an MVP caliber player. 

Though Flacco remained a decent player - he never lived up to that contract to be paid as a top-3 player in the league where you'd rely on the fact that the player would be able to make up for team short comings. That is what you're betting on when given such a cap-eating contract- that you (as a team) are depending on the player to make up for areas where you can't allocate enough resources where you could've before.

So now, having seen what Flacco is over the course of so many years, the Front Office has decided to go back to its roots. With a strong defense, and hopefully a resurgent run game, we should be able to go back to the time when we get into the playoffs year after year, and nobody wants to play us, and we have a legitimate shot at winning the games.

Maybe the team could've at the very least taken one offensive skill position player rather than one of the myriad defenders they took- but I think it just shows this team has re-shifted its focus / philosophy back to what it knows best- defense.

Looking to next year- I foresee an ugly, mediocre-type season again where we rely on Tucker's leg and our Defense being good enough to seal victories, but I also see the birth of a juggernaut. If our young pass rushers develop, 2018 could be our return back to the Ravens of old where we legitimately contend year after year.

All we need right now is to fix a run game and add some WR talent for our QB, and that could take another year while we give time for this defense to learn and grow together. We'll see the real benefits of this draft in two years, and I think that's when we'll go back to being a legitimate contender for years to come.

Edited by poefolks

I don't think it's a philosophy shift really.  They've drafted for offense quite a bit over the past few years, it's time for guys like Perriman to live up to expectations, and the young o-lineman like Stanely and Lewis to continue their progress. 

Last year the team lost games because the defense couldn't close out.  This draft and offseason has clearly looked at that and focused on it. 

That said, I think they are going to address the offense a bit more post-draft.

I tend to believe Ozzie's description of what went down in the draft. I don't think it was totally a statement of philosophy as much as just the way things worked out and deals did not take place and they took who they saw as the best player available when they were on the clock. I sure would have appreciated an offensive playmaker or two, but they just did not see the value in who was available. That's just Ravens, always has been, and there is pretty good track record there. They're building for the long haul.

The defense is going to be exceptional if these picks pan out over the next couple of years. 

Offensively you just don't know yet.  If they can get the line shored up with some FA's/cuts they could at least be better than last year.  Dixon's suspension is a serious bummer though, and mitigates a lot of enthusiasm for running the ball.  I like Woodhead, a lot, but he's not an every down kind of back, and Terrance West is ok but not a playmaker.  Perriman has to step up, no question, it's his time to shine or fade away, and it wouldn't hurt to pick up a veteran WR like Boldin.  I still like Wallace, and I think with SSR out of the picture, he'll put up even bigger #'s this year.  He and Joe seemed to connect a bit last year at times.  The other name that needs to be heard is Maxx Williams. 

The defense is going to be exceptional if these picks pan out over the next couple of years. 

Offensively you just don't know yet.  If they can get the line shored up with some FA's/cuts they could at least be better than last year.  Dixon's suspension is a serious bummer though, and mitigates a lot of enthusiasm for running the ball.  I like Woodhead, a lot, but he's not an every down kind of back, and Terrance West is ok but not a playmaker.  Perriman has to step up, no question, it's his time to shine or fade away, and it wouldn't hurt to pick up a veteran WR like Boldin.  I still like Wallace, and I think with SSR out of the picture, he'll put up even bigger #'s this year.  He and Joe seemed to connect a bit last year at times.  The other name that needs to be heard is Maxx Williams.

For sure on Williams. Other names that could be factors: Campanaro, Moore, and Reynolds. I'm not saying take these guys to the bank, but I hope they get a chance and seize it.

What the Ravens really are missing, and haven't had since Ray Rice, is a dynamic 3 down back who can catch checkdowns and screens just as well as he can run between the tackles or pick up blocking assignments.

This is a passing league, but the Ravens just aren't a passing offense. Joe is at his best when he's throwing 35 or so passes a game, not 50. Dixon isn't that guy. Neither is West. Sooner or later they need to invest in someone defenses need to gameplan for, or this will forever be an unexciting offense.

Edited by Slidemaster

What the Ravens really are missing, and haven't had since Ray Rice, is a dynamic 3 down back who can catch checkdowns and screens just as well as he can run between the tackles or pick up blocking assignments.

This is a passing league, but the Ravens just aren't a passing offense. Joe is at his best when he's throwing 35 or so passes a game, not 50. Dixon isn't that guy. Neither is West. Sooner or later they need to invest in someone defenses need to gameplan for, or this will forever be an unexciting offense.

I heard Ray Rice is available.

I heard Ray Rice is available.

Speaking of... I'm trying to think what it means that everyone was willing to make excuses for Joe Mixon. I understand, like Ray Rice, there was film of Mixon busting a woman in the face. Anyone willing to stand near Ray Rice, let alone let him play, was treated like an enemy of humanity, making it impossible for him to ever play again. Yet, at least on the NFL Network coverage I was watching, the commentators were all about "It will never happen again." I'm just wondering what has changed.

Speaking of... I'm trying to think what it means that everyone was willing to make excuses for Joe Mixon. I understand, like Ray Rice, there was film of Mixon busting a woman in the face. Anyone willing to stand near Ray Rice, let alone let him play, was treated like an enemy of humanity, making it impossible for him to ever play again. Yet, at least on the NFL Network coverage I was watching, the commentators were all about "It will never happen again." I'm just wondering what has changed.

I think The Ray Rice video was the first time it happened to the NFL and a team in the social media era. I think society has since been sufficiently desensitized to it. They showed Mixon's video for some reason on espn during the draft. Its equally brutal if not worse. He hits her like lightning and she drops like a brick. Breaks 4 bones in the girl's face. The uproar over it is much less than with Ray Rice so only conclusion is that less people care today than they did with Rice.

Rice's deal probably got more media (and more negative reaction) because he was an NFL professional, and that's the biggest media show in sports.  Mixon's deal happened years before, and he was a college kid at the time.  If you ask most casual fans, or the average person who doesn't follow sports or football closely... my guess is that the number of people who saw the Rice video somewhere vs. the Mixon video is probably at least 4-1 or 5-1. But yes, the hypocrisy of the two situations is interesting...  

Rice had actually been looking good again (slimmer, quicker) that pre-season before the tape came out.  He would have been on some NFL roster somewhere that season.  But he never played another down.  Mixon on the other hand got drafted not long after his video made the rounds... albeit by the Shawshank Bengals...

Edited by Ravens2006

I think The Ray Rice video was the first time it happened to the NFL and a team in the social media era. I think society has since been sufficiently desensitized to it. They showed Mixon's video for some reason on espn during the draft. Its equally brutal if not worse. He hits her like lightning and she drops like a brick. Breaks 4 bones in the girl's face. The uproar over it is much less than with Ray Rice so only conclusion is that less people care today than they did with Rice.

Less uproar over Mixon

I disagree

I would say its equal to if not more embarrassing or whatever adjective you would like to use than Rice

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:49 PM, Steveg85321 said:

Speaking of... I'm trying to think what it means that everyone was willing to make excuses for Joe Mixon. I

Mixon was drafted by the Bengals. 'Nuff said

I think the "difference" between Rice & Mixon is that some fans will say "yeah, but Mixon was still in college, so that makes it different, he deserves to cut more slack than Rice."

I don't think there's any difference between the two cases.  I just hope Mosely or Weddle or whoever forces a few fumbles from Mixon over the next few seasons.  

18 hours ago, JasonM said:

I think the "difference" between Rice & Mixon is that some fans will say "yeah, but Mixon was still in college, so that makes it different, he deserves to cut more slack than Rice."

I don't think there's any difference between the two cases.  I just hope Mosely or Weddle or whoever forces a few fumbles from Mixon over the next few seasons.  

The Bengals could do something unthinkable and put his locker next to Pacman or Burfict.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:03 PM, JasonM said:

I do think there was a difference. Rice struck his wife when he thought no one was looking and over an argument. Mixon hit the lady after she allegedly called him a racist name and hit him first. What both men did was horrible, just saying there was a difference. I still don't understand how the woman who hit Mixon wasn't charged with assault.