Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SemiAuto

Fortitude

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is a murder/mystery that takes place in the small town of Fortitude, near the artic.  In a small town, pop. 713, just about everyone knows everyone and crime is nearly non-existent.  So when a guy turns up brutally murdered just about everyone's dirty laundry comes piling out of the closet.  While the show is glacial in its pace and possibly suffers from having too many characters, when the plot does advance it does so very well.  The acting is top notch.  The location, while desolate, is shot in an amazing fashion.  The long, panoramic type shots do slow the show down but they're visually worth it.  If you got the time and some patience, so far, it has been worth it.  But action packed it is not.

I'm only about half way through the 1st season so I haven't seen the whole thing yet.  A second season got picked up by Amazon which features Denis Quaid but he is not in the first season.

Edited by SemiAuto

I've finished the first season and other than its glacial pace it was a pretty good show.  It took a turn for the X-Files towards the end.

After the second season I think it is safe to say that 'Fortitude' is a slow moving, Norwegian version of the X-Files.  The show has its moments but not enough of them.  The plot to this one jumped the shark a bit too much (as the X-Files was prone to do from time to time).  If you have the patience for a slow moving show and can put up with all sorts of weird things going on then Fortitude is a good show.  Otherwise, it is kinda meh.   Then again, Richard Dormer put in a helluva performance as Dan Anderssen.  

Slow moving is right. I couldn't get through the entire first season.