Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GREYHOUND ALUM

MIAA Track Championships

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

All is well in the universe again, Gilman wins the title after a one year hiatus. This makes it 7 out of the last 9 titles. Pure dynasty. A lot of people felt that when Poggi left, the track team would also fall by the way side. No way, Foreman was and is the architect of this machine. MSJ almost made it two in a row for them though. Final score was 155.5-151. I assume this is the closest score in the history of the MIAA. 

 

Some notable performances. MSJ's Ikenna  Obi upset Dejuan Ellis in the 100 by .02 seconds with a very fast 10.66. Not sure if this kid plays football and what year he may be, but he's a blazer. And speaking of Ellis. This kid broke the MIAA long jump record, with a 24'5.5 jump. Beating Gilman's Ayende Watson's 23'9 jump. Ellis next year could break all kinds of records. Track might be this kid's best sport. Would love to see what he could do in the long jump if he concentrated just on that.

 

Watson won the triple jump with a record jump(and broke my 26 year old school record this year), came in second in the Long and high.

 

McDonogh's Dalton Hengst won an unprecedented 800,1600 and 3200. Really sucks the way they schedule it, because Gilman's Tory Young(who won the 800 last year) didn't run the 800 because he had the finals of other events too close to it. Would have been an epic race. Hengst should win Athlete of the year this year IMO. 

 

This was an epic track season in the ata and I hate that the MIAA has their meet so early. Just imagine the times and jumps they would have if the meet was later like the state. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

All is well in the universe again, Gilman wins the title after a one year hiatus. This makes it 7 out of the last 9 titles. Pure dynasty. A lot of people felt that when Poggi left, the track team would also fall by the way side. No way, Foreman was and is the architect of this machine. MSJ almost made it two in a row for them though. Final score was 155.5-151. I assume this is the closest score in the history of the MIAA. 

 

Some notable performances. MSJ's Ikenna  Obi upset Dejuan Ellis in the 100 by .02 seconds with a very fast 10.66. Not sure if this kid plays football and what year he may be, but he's a blazer. And speaking of Ellis. This kid broke the MIAA long jump record, with a 24'5.5 jump. Beating Gilman's Ayende Watson's 23'9 jump. Ellis next year could break all kinds of records. Track might be this kid's best sport. Would love to see what he could do in the long jump if he concentrated just on that.

 

Watson won the triple jump with a record jump(and broke my 26 year old school record this year), came in second in the Long and high.

 

McDonogh's Dalton Hengst won an unprecedented 800,1600 and 3200. Really sucks the way they schedule it, because Gilman's Tory Young(who won the 800 last year) didn't run the 800 because he had the finals of other events too close to it. Would have been an epic race. Hengst should win Athlete of the year this year IMO. 

 

This was an epic track season in the ata and I hate that the MIAA has their meet so early. Just imagine the times and jumps they would have if the meet was later like the state. 

Wow that was a good one. When its that close the coaches were playing chess out there with their kids trying to get every point they can. Wish I could have seen it. Nothing like a good track meet that comes down to the wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Wow that was a good one. When its that close the coaches were playing chess out there with their kids trying to get every point they can. Wish I could have seen it. Nothing like a good track meet that comes down to the wire.

Absolutely. Gilman was down until the last event. Won the 4x400 to win it all. Definitely wish I were in town to have seen it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Msj head coaching position is open. Gave Gilman a run for their money this year and won it last year if I am correct. Gonna need a good hire to keep the momentum going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MDSOCCER said:

Msj head coaching position is open. Gave Gilman a run for their money this year and won it last year if I am correct. Gonna need a good hire to keep the momentum going. 

Very attractive job in my opinion. They build a very good program and with the number of boys in campus, will give Gilman problems every year. Think Gilman takes a big step back next year, lose Young and Watson. That's like 60 points combined right there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I was at Day 1 of the championships and that boys 4x8 was really something. Hengst of McDonogh ran a 1:52 (I'm rounding off here), which is an amazing time for high school, but Gilman's anchor (whose name completely escapes me right now) managed to hold him off at the line. Great finish and ultimately very important for Gilman to pick up those two extra points in what figured to be a very tight team race.

The weather really screwed things up as well, pushing Day 2 back from Saturday to the following Monday. 

William Henderson of Poly and Maria Coffin of Annapolis were The Sun's Athletes of the Year, which was kind of refreshing to see two track kids win the top honors. I've seen Henderson on several occasions and that kid is a special talent. I'm guessing Hengst will be the favorite for Runner of the Year for outdoor track when those selections are announced, but Henderson (who won the long jump, 110 hurdles and 100M dash at 3A States), will also be in the mix. Another kid to consider should be Kieran McDermott of Bel Air, who won the 4A 1600 in 4:11 and then came back to win the 800 in 1:53 later in the day. That's a tough double to pull off, particularly when you're putting up PR's in both.

The two-day format does sometimes work to the detriment of the short distance/sprint runners, but what really compressed the events this year was the MIAA (and IAAM) splitting the A and B Conferences. Before they'd just run it all together and score it separately, which did buy kids who, as the OP mentioned, might be running the 400 and 800 a bit more recovery time. This year, however, the B Conference ran their championships the previous week (at John Carroll, I believe), which meant fewer heats and less time between events.

Edited by mdrunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0