Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Happy 80th Brooks!

10 posts in this topic

There have been better players - Eddie and Frank immediately come to mind - but Brooks will always be Mr. Oriole to the generation(s) that saw him play and watched how he carried himself after his playing days.

Happy Birthday #5!

Well said, Struds.

One of my fondest baseball memories was attending Thanks Brooks Day at Memorial Stadium with my dad. Damn, I wish I would have held on to that program.

Happy Birthday to a great ballplayer, and by all accounts, an even greater person. Here's to many more, Brooks!!

13 minutes ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Well said, Struds.

One of my fondest baseball memories was attending Thanks Brooks Day at Memorial Stadium with my dad. Damn, I wish I would have held on to that program.

Happy Birthday to a great ballplayer, and by all accounts, an even greater person. Here's to many more, Brooks!!

My brother and I went with our dad, too, about a year and a half before he passed away.  We had to leave early though.  Dad was getting a contact high.

He's the man 

Still fondly remember Thanks Brooks Day at Memorial Stadium in 1977. We were all the way down the rightfield line in the upper deck right behind the foul pole. Not the greatest of seats, but still a very memorable day.

I remember being at an Orioles game many years ago on a Friday night, and Brooks hit a walk-off grand slam. The place went crazy. I don't remember who was the visiting team.

3 hours ago, tsmonk said:

I remember being at an Orioles game many years ago on a Friday night, and Brooks hit a walk-off grand slam. The place went crazy. I don't remember who was the visiting team.

July 7, 1970, bottom of the 10th against the Yankees.  That's Brooks' only walk-off grand slam.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL197007070.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/event_hr.fcgi?id=robinbr01&t=b

When the O's were pounding some other club and they sat Brooks and put it Chico Salmon, I told my dad I wanted to leave. As a boy, Brooks Robinson was the Orioles to me.