Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

This team is in trouble

142 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Stating the obvious, but it needs to be said.

Doesn't matter who is to blame, they just aren't getting it done.

Bundy was your guy to this point, and he didn't get it done today. We're walking a lot of guys -- never a good sign.

Still battling, lost 5 one run games in a row. So used to being on the other side of those games. 

Going to need to have patient at bats and play elite defense to right the ship if the pitching is going to struggle like it has.

A dreadful road trip. Needed extra innings to avoid an 0-6 trip. Hopefully coming back home and facing the a-hole BJ's rights the ship.

Edited by Pickle20

I don't know Toronto has the garbage Pillar brought around the team and a Joey bats bat flip motivation to take advantage of a team that could be headed to a tailspin 

Of course. Could go either way. Just saying this is a team that gets  the players blood up. Might be what doctor ordered. 

I hope so but part of me thinks they come in with an us against the world and we get swept 

Nothing would surprise me at this point. 

One ugly road trip. Seems like we're really feeling the loss of Britton right now.

Too many pitchers on this team just don't have good enough "stuff".

They don't "miss bats", don't put guys away ... Pitch counts mount.

I don't know how that turns around.

3 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

One ugly road trip. Seems like we're really feeling the loss of Britton right now.

His loss has created a vacuum in the bullpen.

5 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Stating the obvious, but it needs to be said.

Doesn't matter who is to blame, they just aren't getting it done.

Bundy was your guy to this point, and he didn't get it done today. We're walking a lot of guys -- never a good sign.

Still battling, lost 5 one run games in a row. So used to being on the other side of those games. 

Going to need to have patient at bats and play elite defense to right the ship if the pitching is going to struggle like it has.

A dreadful road trip. Needed extra innings to avoid an 0-6 trip. Hopefully coming back home and facing the a-hole BJ's rights the ship.

Good points, and most of us have been pointing this out for a while, although some of us are described as "doom & groomers" ---- no, just realists.

3 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

Or, just feeling the repercussions of Big Dan and Peter Angelos' poor planning.

Lets face it, six relievers just isn't going to cut it when the starters stink.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, pitbull said:

Or, just feeling the repercussions of Big Dan and Peter Angelos' poor planning.

Lets face it, six relievers just isn't going to cut it when the starters stink.

They went into the season minus their No. 1 starter and then lost the best closer in baseball. How is that evidence of poor planning? Should they have coughed up $80 million to sign Aroldis Chapman (who, if you're scoring is home, is currently on the shelf) as an insurance policy? I don't see how that qualifies as poor planning. If so, then I guess the Giants are guilty of poor planning because they couldn't foresee Madison Bumgarner having a motorcycle accident. Or Boston with David Price. I don't see how any team can fully absorb losses such as those.

If you want to argue that the rest of the Oriole pitching staff--particularly the starters--has underachieved mightily of late, it's impossible to deny that reality. They have stunk, but I'd be interested to hear just what Duquette and Angelos should have done differently, and especially without the benefit of hindsight.

The American League average ERA right now is 4.09; the Orioles are just above that at 4.24. They're right in the middle of the majors in that category. Does that mean the GMs and owners of teams 16 thru 30 didn't plan properly? That's ridiculous.

I don't know how you equate a six-man bullpen to anyone but Showalter. (How Angelos got in there, I'll never know.) The GM acquires the players, but the manager decides how to use them. It was also a result of Mancini essentially forcing himself onto the roster in spring training, which resulted in one more position player than they were likely to break camp with. Some things you can't plan for.

Edited by mdrunning

10 hours ago, pitbull said:

Good points, and most of us have been pointing this out for a while, although some of us are described as "doom & groomers" ---- no, just realists.

You've been saying this crap for years. Broken clocks are right twice a day. Congrats.

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

You've been saying this crap for years. Broken clocks are right twice a day. Congrats.

This.

(Notwithstanding...the team is, as you stated, in trouble now.)

3 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

This.

(Notwithstanding...the team is, as you stated, in trouble now.)

It's a long season and the roster is not set in stone. I have confidence that this can be fixed - hoping it's sooner than later.

9 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

It's a long season and the roster is not set in stone. I have confidence that this can be fixed - hoping it's sooner than later.

If it were something other than a starting pitcher and an ace closer, I might agree. But this is not going to be easily fixed.

It's May. Let's discuss this again mid-July, shall we? 

7 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

It's May. Let's discuss this again mid-July, shall we? 

I think it's legit to talk about it now. And we can talk about it mid-July as well. What's your point? That it's not valid to talk about it now because it's "only" May? That's absurd.

22 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I think it's legit to talk about it now. And we can talk about it mid-July as well. What's your point? That it's not valid to talk about it now because it's "only" May? That's absurd.

The Orioles are 1.5 games out of first place in the AL East. They have pretty much owned every series they've played this year until this past atrocious road trip. Do they have some issues? Yes. But as it is only May, I find it absurd to start talking about "what to do" so early in the season. Pitching carried this club up until last week. The bats started heating up and the pitching cooled, especially the bullpen. 

There are those who would like to dismantle the club and start anew right now. Let's face reality. Tillman is basically just getting warmed up after missing spring training and not starting until May. Bundy has pitched well but had a mediocre start yesterday in Detroit. I'm not concerned at all about either of them at this point. Gausman is a concern, but as it is May, I'm not that concerned. The only starter I find a true problem is Ubaldo. That's a decision that has to be made. 

The 'pen gets worn with starters that can't get out of the 4th or 5th inning. As it stands now. But...it's May. I think another month or so is needed to determine what, if anything, may or may not need to happen with starting and relief  pitching, especially with Britton on the DL. 

Baseball is a long season. I'm not overly concerned at this stage. Some seem to be ready to concede the division and/or a trip to the postseason. 

1 minute ago, mlatoman said:

The Orioles are 1.5 games out of first place in the AL East. They have pretty much owned every series they've played this year until this past atrocious road trip. Do they have some issues? Yes. But as it is only May, I find it absurd to start talking about "what to do" so early in the season. Pitching carried this club up until last week. The bats started heating up and the pitching cooled, especially the bullpen. 

There are those who would like to dismantle the club and start anew right now. Let's face reality. Tillman is basically just getting warmed up after missing spring training and not starting until May. Bundy has pitched well but had a mediocre start yesterday in Detroit. I'm not concerned at all about either of them at this point. Gausman is a concern, but as it is May, I'm not that concerned. The only starter I find a true problem is Ubaldo. That's a decision that has to be made. 

The 'pen gets worn with starters that can't get out of the 4th or 5th inning. As it stands now. But...it's May. I think another month or so is needed to determine what, if anything, may or may not need to happen with starting and relief  pitching, especially with Britton on the DL. 

Baseball is a long season. I'm not overly concerned at this stage. Some seem to be ready to concede the division and/or a trip to the postseason. 

All I hear is a bunch of excuses. The problems exist NOW. The ace closer is out for 2 months. Their ace #1 pitcher is a shell of his former self. That's all happening NOW. The close games that the O's stole are being lost NOW. So you want to wait until mid-July to talk about these problems? Be my guest. The rest of the folks -- who can see things clearly -- will talk about them NOW. OK?

11 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

All I hear is a bunch of excuses. The problems exist NOW. The ace closer is out for 2 months. Their ace #1 pitcher is a shell of his former self. That's all happening NOW. The close games that the O's stole are being lost NOW. So you want to wait until mid-July to talk about these problems? Be my guest. The rest of the folks -- who can see things clearly -- will talk about them NOW. OK?

The close games they are losing NOW, as you say, have been for what..a week? Their ace #1 starter is a shell of his former self after his first start in 2017 on May 8th? A 4-0 win? 

I'll give you Britton. But what's your fix? Who should the Orioles get to replace Britton? Ace closers don't grow on trees. 

Different people see different things clearly. 

1 minute ago, mlatoman said:

The close games they are losing NOW, as you say, have been for what..a week? Their ace #1 starter is a shell of his former self after his first start in 2017 on May 8th? A 4-0 win? 

I'll give you Britton. But what's your fix? Who should the Orioles get to replace Britton? Ace closers don't grow on trees. 

Different people see different things clearly. 

I'll give you Tillman. I misspoke there. But the rest of the staff can barely get past 5 innings. They don't dominate hitters. They rack up the pitch count. And then they're gone. And you made my point for me. Ace closers do NOT grow on trees. And that's exactly why the O's ARE in trouble. We all took Britton for granted. And without him it's just a sieve out there. How can you sanely disagree? And the hitting? It's like the most clueless group of otherwise good hitters I've ever seen. So again...another reason WHY this team is in trouble. I don't need to wait until mid-July to see that. Or to talk about it.

45 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I'll give you Tillman. I misspoke there. But the rest of the staff can barely get past 5 innings. They don't dominate hitters. They rack up the pitch count. And then they're gone. And you made my point for me. Ace closers do NOT grow on trees. And that's exactly why the O's ARE in trouble. We all took Britton for granted. And without him it's just a sieve out there. How can you sanely disagree? And the hitting? It's like the most clueless group of otherwise good hitters I've ever seen. So again...another reason WHY this team is in trouble. I don't need to wait until mid-July to see that. Or to talk about it.

Whoever ultimately fills the closer role, my guess is that it will be an in-house solution. Asher has been mentioned as a possible candidate, although given his work again tonight, I think the preference would be to keep him in a long relief/spot start role.

11 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Whoever ultimately fills the closer role, my guess is that it will be an in-house solution. Asher has been mentioned as a possible candidate, although given his work again tonight, I think the preference would be to keep him in a long relief/spot start role.

Whoever they choose, that person is not going to be able to replicate Britton's domination.

1 minute ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Whoever they choose, that person is not going to be able to replicate Britton's domination.

Of course not. And had he been healthy, I doubt if Britton would have replicated his season from a year ago. I fully expected to see Zach blow a couple this year.

Don't look now, but this team that is in trouble is only a half game out of first now.