This team is in trouble

150 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

3-10 over last 13.

Next 10 are @Houston, vs NYY and vs BOS

Like I was saying...

Edited by Pickle20

55 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

They didn't have bad starting pitching? They also had GREAT defense.

Os best defense thst season if i recall correctly 

Pitching wasnt great bullpen was similar to Baltimore 

But ya know 

Big Dan Apologists ?

6 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

3-9 over last 12.

Next 10 are @Houston, vs NYY and vs BOS

Like I was saying...

Lol here is where we find out what type of group we have here 

5-5 wc bound

7-3 contention 

3-7 welp 

7 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Lol here is where we find out what type of group we have here 

5-5 wc bound

7-3 contention 

3-7 welp 

Do you honestly think that this team is NOT in trouble?

49 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Do you honestly think that this team is NOT in trouble?

Oh no we are in trouble Britton going down has changed the while dynamic of the bullpen where guys are now playing roles they arent accustomed 

With that said am i in panic mode nah its may i still habe the june swon to look forward to?

5 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Oh no we are in trouble Britton going down has changed the while dynamic of the bullpen where guys are now playing roles they arent accustomed 

With that said am i in panic mode nah its may i still habe the june swon to look forward to?

And it doesn't matter if the team is in trouble; they are my team and I will continue to be a fan. Whining about it will not change things. The Orioles, despite being "in trouble" would be in the playoffs if the season ended today. Rather than be in panic mode I am enjoying their early star, despite losing the best closer in the game and it's top starting pitcher. I've also seen improvements in the relievers this past week. In 7 out of the last 8 games, relievers pitched 20 inning and gave up zero runs. Even if you add that 14-7 loss, relievers pitched 23 2/3 innings and gave up only 2 runs - an ERA of 0.76. If you add in Wilson (who is really a starter) the ERA for the past eight games 2.16 with all the runs coming from one game.

Posted (edited)

Hopefully, this 3 and 7 run is the team hitting the bottom. There is no doubt that the team misses Britton whom was lights out last season. 

A few things that are disconcerting is the overall pitching,  ( Ubaldo and Gausman have been awful at times, the bullpen has been worked extremely hard and has been ineffective at times as a result), team defense, ( The Orioles are 6th in the league in errors, Hardy and Schoop have mishandled several routine plays.) This team has a very low margin for error and they need to play solid defense. I have not seen this on a consistent basis this year.

More importantly, I do not like what I am seeing out of Machado. His not running to first base on the dropped third strike in the ninth inning of a 2-0 game was inexcusable. This guy is beating himself up at the plate and in the field. He and the team are struggling and He is responding to it by nonchalant play in the field, overswinging at the plate, and not hustling at critical times in games. Manny will probably wind up with 30 to 35 homers and a Gold Glove, but this is not a guy that I would give 400 million to and build my team around. He's too much of a moper when things are not going well for him and my hope is that the team makes an offer to him over the winter that He turns down. At that point they can trade him for a nice haul to start the retooling of the team.

All that said, I think that this team will hang around Playoff Contention for most of the year. I only anticipate a fire sale if the team really tanks. While I don't want it to happen, I can see this team folding more than in the past from the observations listed above.

Edited by russsnyder

3 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

And it doesn't matter if the team is in trouble; they are my team and I will continue to be a fan. Whining about it will not change things. The Orioles, despite being "in trouble" would be in the playoffs if the season ended today. Rather than be in panic mode I am enjoying their early star, despite losing the best closer in the game and it's top starting pitcher. I've also seen improvements in the relievers this past week. In 7 out of the last 8 games, relievers pitched 20 inning and gave up zero runs. Even if you add that 14-7 loss, relievers pitched 23 2/3 innings and gave up only 2 runs - an ERA of 0.76. If you add in Wilson (who is really a starter) the ERA for the past eight games 2.16 with all the runs coming from one game.

This post should be in the homer hall of fame. Your posts are worthless, because you pretend to argue that the team is not in trouble, yet all you're really doing is trying to superimpose YOUR definition of how people should root for a team. You're not a great fan at all; you're a classic poser. And a full-on whiner at that (whining about fans who at least can deal with the truth and STILL follow a team that's in trouble).

9 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Thank you.

If Ubaldo starts this weekend I think I might quit being an O's fan.

How many times can they bang their head against the wall and expect not to get a headache?

7 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

If Ubaldo starts this weekend I think I might quit being an O's fan.

How many times can they bang their head against the wall and expect not to get a headache?

I feel your pain and share your bewilderment. If Ubaldo somehow gets the Sunday start over Asher or Aquino, I can only conclude that Buck has $$ on the Astros.

The trade deadline is still over two months away.

If they are 10 games under .500 at that point, who goes?

Does anybody?

With Britton damaged, who would anybody want other than Machado?

44 minutes ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Does anybody?

I don't know. Teams might be interested in Mancini. But I wouldn't let him go. Just bite the bullet and gear up for next year. This team just doesn't have what it takes this year to get to the post season, or go far in the post season. I wouldn't make any kind of desperation move; it'll just hurt the team in the long run. That's my take.

Chris Davis needs glasses, I've never seen major league hitter swing at more bad pitches since Manny Sanguillen in the 70's.  

The difference is Manny made contact with those bad pitches, while Davis isn't coming close.  I guess in some cases it's good that he strikes out since he can only make 1 out with each AB.

35 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

it'll just hurt the team in the long run. That's my take.

The long run already looks kinda bleak.

1 hour ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Does anybody?

If that does happen, hopefully they could trade Jimenez to a contender.

24 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

If that does happen, hopefully they could trade Jimenez to a contender.

In what sport? :D

1 hour ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

The long run already looks kinda bleak.

So what do you suggest?

39 minutes ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

In what sport? :D

Curling.

Just now, OriginalColtsFan said:

So what do you suggest?

Nooooo idea.

I believe a decline in 2018 and 2019 is inevitable. 

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Nooooo idea.

I believe a decline in 2018 and 2019 is inevitable. 

Well, that's kinda bleak. But it's possible. I think 2017 is a wash, primarily because of Britton, Tillman, and UJ. Also, I had hoped that the hitters would be more disciplined at the plate with the additional year under Coolbaugh. But that just hasn't happened. The hitters are as inconsistent as ever, if not worse. It seemed at the start of the season that O's hitters were more discriminating at the plate, but they're a joke up there, flailing away night after night, while opposing hitters are wearing out O's pitchers by the 5th inning. So when you combine the hitting mess, the injuries to key pitchers, and the persistent absurdity of UJ and a few others, it would take a miracle to pull this season out of the fire. But beyond that I'm not so sure it can't be rosier.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

44 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Curling.

A fine sport.

3 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I don't know. Teams might be interested in Mancini. But I wouldn't let him go. Just bite the bullet and gear up for next year. This team just doesn't have what it takes this year to get to the post season, or go far in the post season. I wouldn't make any kind of desperation move; it'll just hurt the team in the long run. That's my take.

I'm not ready to go there yet. It's still pretty early in the season. Tillman's track record says he'll bounce back. I'm not really surprised by his struggles. He's working with a serious handicap, from not having ST to get ready. I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles for 3-4 more starts. If it goes much beyond that, then I think they have a problem. The warm weather will help the offense. Believe me, I suffer like everyone else, when this team hits skid row. But it doesn't last. Davis is having another of his typical seasons. He'll explode for a few weeks, and carry the team. Then he'll forget what a strike zone is, and he'll return to what we see happening right now. He'll ricochet back and forth between the two extremes. 

For me, the X factor is how the rest of the division performs. The O's aren't the only ALe team that's playing middling baseball, so it's lessening the severity of this slump.  

The frustrating thing is, Buck keeps trotting out that dumpster fire named UJ. It's like he doesn't want to make winning look too easy, or something. So he imposes his own obstacles.    

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

I'm not ready to go there yet. It's still pretty early in the season. Tillman's track record says he'll bounce back. I'm not really surprised by his struggles. He's working with a serious handicap, from not having ST to get ready. I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles for 3-4 more starts. If it goes much beyond that, then I think they have a problem. The warm weather will help the offense. Believe me, I suffer like everyone else, when this team hits skid row. But it doesn't last. Davis is having another of his typical seasons. He'll explode for a few weeks, and carry the team. Then he'll forget what a strike zone is, and he'll return to what we see happening right now. He'll ricochet back and forth between the two extremes. 

For me, the X factor is how the rest of the division performs. The O's aren't the only ALe team that's playing middling baseball, so it's lessening the severity of this slump.  

The frustrating thing is, Buck keeps trotting out that dumpster fire named UJ. It's like he doesn't want to make winning look too easy, or something. So he imposes his own obstacles.    

You could be right. But you didn't address the loss of Britton for half the year. That's cost the O's a lot of games already.

I think the Orioles will be in the hunt most of the summer, even with the recent slump.  I just can't see any one team running away from the pack.  In the mean time, don't start printing World Series tickets.