KSweeley

Baltimore man, 24, acquitted in quintuple shooting; has beaten 10 attempted murder cases

8 posts in this topic

Link: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-memorial-day-shooting-trial-20170519-story.html

May 19, 2017

A 24-year-old Baltimore man who has beaten five attempted first-degree murder charges was acquitted of five more counts Friday when a jury found him not guilty of committing a quintuple shooting at a Memorial Day cookout last year.

David Warren, who Police Commissioner Kevin Davis last year called a "trigger puller ... who should absolutely not be on the streets of Baltimore," was facing 34 counts overall, including five counts of attempted first-degree murder.

Since 2006, when he was 14 years old, Warren has been charged five previous times with attempted first-degree murder. In all of those cases, the charges were dropped before going to trial.

Gotta love city juries. Every one has circumstances that will cause them to acquit a defendant. If a homeowner shoots an intruder, I will stay true to an acquittal. A guy murders someone who has, beyond a reasonable doubt, sexually abused his daughter, it's not guilty. 

I would never find someone not guilty simply because they are a Pacific Islander like me.

3 hours ago, Manny said:

Gotta love city juries. Every one has circumstances that will cause them to acquit a defendant. If a homeowner shoots an intruder, I will stay true to an acquittal. A guy murders someone who has, beyond a reasonable doubt, sexually abused his daughter, it's not guilty. 

I would never find someone not guilty simply because they are a Pacific Islander like me.

Most of these never made the jury

16 hours ago, KSweeley said:

If there was any good news in that story, it was that he is still in jail. When the police arrested him on suspicion of that shooting, he ran and tried to throw away two loaded handguns, which were recovered. He is still awaiting trial on the handgun charge, and given that he is a repeat offfender already out of jail from a prior conviction, making him ineligible to have a gun under any circumstance, perhaps there is hope that he will actuially be put away this time. 

What I wonder about is how his attorney is able to sleep at night knowing that he/she is helping to perpetuate the violence by getting this guy off. And the 61 year old lady who testified against him must be scared to show her face, knowing that this thug's friends are very likely going to target her for her testimony. What a pathetic example of our so-called criminal justice system that this guy was even out on the streets given his record of crime, going back to when he was a juvenile. 

1 hour ago, Papi said:

If there was any good news in that story, it was that he is still in jail. When the police arrested him on suspicion of that shooting, he ran and tried to throw away two loaded handguns, which were recovered. He is still awaiting trial on the handgun charge, and given that he is a repeat offfender already out of jail from a prior conviction, making him ineligible to have a gun under any circumstance, perhaps there is hope that he will actuially be put away this time. 

What I wonder about is how his attorney is able to sleep at night knowing that he/she is helping to perpetuate the violence by getting this guy off. And the 61 year old lady who testified against him must be scared to show her face, knowing that this thug's friends are very likely going to target her for her testimony. What a pathetic example of our so-called criminal justice system that this guy was even out on the streets given his record of crime, going back to when he was a juvenile. 

And is assigned to US District court....which as best I can determine means that it is FEDERAL and this is an entirely different ticket. As I have said.....getting convictions in a city that everyone is a cousin or lives in total fear of death is now a joke. I fail to see why they even bother anymore....if possible skip/drop the charges and let the feds handle it.....it will save money.

The defendant's lawyer, well unfortunately ...that is their job....defending the undefinable. But face it....the so called jury wooosed out.

What I nearly peeed myself on was when he had the audacity to say that what ever happened in the past in regard to his client should not be held against him. :rolleyes: Really?

Ok then why are the prosecutors in BC falling all over themselves to release bad guys because of what cops ALLEGEDLY did (it is the past after all).....seems once again....two sets of rules.

I am not saying those cops didn't break the law not at all. But everything being equal?

What in the name of Freddie Gray is going on?  I thought that Mosby and SRB walking arm in arm with the gang members was going to bring us peace and prosperity and AG Lynch's handcuffing of the BPD was going to guarantee it would stray.  Were we hoodwinked?

I have a stint coming up at the Fed courthouse in June where I MAY be required to serve for up to 3-4 Weeks! What Working person can do this? I can't afford to be Out of Work for possibly a Month! My Co won't pay me for it and I don't have a whole Month of Vacation Time accrued to eat up and Why should I have to use that up myself anyway? Maybe they made it Against the Law for an Employer to let you go because of having to serve but I know they don't have to Pay you for being off either. The pittance they "Pay" you for serving just doesn't cut it. I'll have to do my best to wheedle my way out of whatever jury I might be set for. If they ask me if there is any reason I don't feel I could be fair in a case, I'll start spouting whatever I can think of at the moment. One time I got out of a City criminal case when I said "Well just Look at him!" and that was that. There's got to be a better way.

3 hours ago, Bartman said:

I have a stint coming up at the Fed courthouse in June where I MAY be required to serve for up to 3-4 Weeks! What Working person can do this? I can't afford to be Out of Work for possibly a Month! My Co won't pay me for it and I don't have a whole Month of Vacation Time accrued to eat up and Why should I have to use that up myself anyway? Maybe they made it Against the Law for an Employer to let you go because of having to serve but I know they don't have to Pay you for being off either. The pittance they "Pay" you for serving just doesn't cut it. I'll have to do my best to wheedle my way out of whatever jury I might be set for. If they ask me if there is any reason I don't feel I could be fair in a case, I'll start spouting whatever I can think of at the moment. One time I got out of a City criminal case when I said "Well just Look at him!" and that was that. There's got to be a better way.

Unfortunately, many of the compensatory laws to support juriers were likely written while there were still people using a horse an carriage. Or more importantly....cases didn't drag on and on with excuses and cross filings and and and.

And I DEFINITELY agree that the GA should make it mandatory that the employer pay your wages while you are serving and can not fire you. Hey they did it for sick leave? I use a ? because it got so screwed up at the end I lost track.

Tip if you truly want to get out while you are being interviewed if true, point out that:

1. You or a family member were or are in law enforcement.
  2. You or a family member were attacked, robbed etc. in the past (politicians wasting you tax money doesn't count;))
  3. Number 2 especially works if you can point out the case was not solved or that you feel that appropriate punishment was not handed out.

Use anyone of the 3 and the defense will declare you tainted and unfit to serve.

Number 1 is a sure thing. I have been asked several times to server jury duty and when I answered yes to it (me)....they couldn't get thank you for your time out of their mouths fast enough. Yup you don't want someone with a different perspective cluttering up the revolving door.