demopublican

GW Law Student Steps in to Stop Beat Down of Metro Rider

18 posts in this topic

http://wtop.com/dc/2017/05/student-defended-metro-attack-victim/

WASHINGTON — As 62-year-old John Rowley fought off attackers last Friday evening on a crowded Gallery Place Metro platform, one man stepped up to help: a 23-year-old law student.  Andrew Miller was on his way home when he came upon the scene. Bystanders screamed and others watched, and he quickly realized that if no one did anything, Rowley would either be kicked in the head repeatedly or thrown against a moving train.  “When I realized that Mr. Rowley was in pretty bad shape, in a bad position, I realized I’m not going to be somebody who stands by, so I stepped up,” said Miller, who is from Dallas, Texas.  (Rowley was on his way to meet a friend Friday evening when he was attacked. He told WTOP earlier this week that he believes the group attacked him for fun.)  The George Washington University law student entered the fray, which involved an uncertain number of attackers, and took two punches. He blocked the first; the second knocked him down.

The young man is a hero for doing what every able bodied witness should have done before he got there.  As despicable as the thug attackers are the witnesses that failed to act are not much better.

What type of youths would attack and beat a 62 year old man for "fun"?

No description of the perps in the article so I don't want to speculate. Could be guys from the debate team at Sidwell Friends for all we know.

6 minutes ago, genghiskhanraven said:

What type of youths would attack and beat a 62 year old man for "fun"?

No description of the perps in the article so I don't want to speculate. Could be guys from the debate team at Sidwell Friends for all we know.

What types of youth are there?

Don't be shy, just speak you mind and stop beating around the bush.  

20 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Probably a bunch of underprivileged youths who act like that because they just experienced having an uncle shot or their mother overdosing.  It's been said that things like that cause kids to not be able to learn in school.  The fear and stress probably caused them to not learn how to act in a civilized manner and not gang-attack people.

What's the purpose of starting a thread on this story?  It can't help but make the thugs look bad.  If they're black, then it's just another excuse to bash blacks and posting about it isn't going to help the situation. 

20 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

What's the purpose of starting a thread on this story?  It can't help but make the thugs look bad.  If they're black, then it's just another excuse to bash blacks and posting about it isn't going to help the situation. 

I started it because I was appalled by the inaction of the other commuters.  Youth violence in our cities has been a consistent problem for a long time and as the conversation that you referenced discussed there are many factors.  Impoverished youth with little supervision and no reasonable vision of a sustainable future and much more likely to get involved in street crime, violence, and gangs.  Of course many young people from tough conditions do just fine and some excel.  And many wealthy and privileged youngsters fail for a variety of reasons.  

But what is really disturbing to me is the fact that so many witnesses failed to help this 62 year old victim.  And the attackers must have already assumed that the commuters would simply watch and fail to protect him.  Disgusting excuses for human being,  

14 minutes ago, demopublican said:

I started it because I was appalled by the inaction of the other commuters.  Youth violence in our cities has been a consistent problem for a long time and as the conversation that you referenced discussed there are many factors.  Impoverished youth with little supervision and no reasonable vision of a sustainable future and much more likely to get involved in street crime, violence, and gangs.  Of course many young people from tough conditions do just fine and some excel.  And many wealthy and privileged youngsters fail for a variety of reasons.  

But what is really disturbing to me is the fact that so many witnesses failed to help this 62 year old victim.  And the attackers must have already assumed that the commuters would simply watch and fail to protect him.  Disgusting excuses for human being,  

They did exactly what the D.C. Police instruct people to do, DC  Police are clear that you're not to intervene when watching metro youths attacking people, they want witnesses to call the cops, take notes and stay there to give statements to the police

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/witnesses-to-fatal-stabbing-on-d-c-metro-train-watched-it-unfold/

2 hours ago, demopublican said:

What types of youth are there?

2 hours ago, demopublican said:

I asked him for his theory

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, demopublican said:

I asked him for his theory

whats you theory?

police would have used one of these codes to describe the suspects

Code 1 Black 
Code 2 White 
Code 3 Asian/Pacific 
Code 4 Native American 
Code 5 Multiracial 
Code 6 Hispanic

mob of youths beating up a 62 year old man for fun on the metro, which code do you picture being called in? or are you still stuck on trying to blame the witnesses?

Edited by genghiskhanraven

1 minute ago, genghiskhanraven said:

whats you theory?

Code 1 Black 
Code 2 White 
Code 3 Asian/Pacific 
Code 4 Native American 
Code 5 Multiracial 
Code 6 Hispanic

mob of youths beating up a 62 year old man for fun on the metro, which code do you picture? or are you still stuck on trying to blame the witnesses?

I really don't care.  

And I do not blame the witnesses for the attack.  But they are 100% responsible for the length of the attack.  And I have higher expectations for John Q Citizen than I do street thugs.  

14 hours ago, genghiskhanraven said:

whats you theory?

Code 1 Black 
Code 2 White 
Code 3 Asian/Pacific 
Code 4 Native American 
Code 5 Multiracial 
Code 6 Hispanic

mob of youths beating up a 62 year old man for fun on the metro, which code do you picture being called in? or are you still stuck on trying to blame the witnesses?

Most likely Code 1.

My questions'

1. Where were the metro police?
  2. Where were the hi-tech cct's?
  3. How is it people from Texas tend to do the right thing and ask questions later?
  4. Why is it that people even as a large group are scared shxtless (sorry matt) to do anything?
  5. And why is their no doubt as to the racial aspect of this?
  6. When was the last time you heard of a bunch of white kids beating on an old white guy (or black guy for that matter) in a subway?
  7. What is the matter....b-ball to lame anymore ....dees yuffs have to beat on people.
  8. Where is the NAACP the ACLU on this?

And some wonder about the feelings of others about the yuffs.....

23 hours ago, demopublican said:

http://wtop.com/dc/2017/05/student-defended-metro-attack-victim/

WASHINGTON — As 62-year-old John Rowley fought off attackers last Friday evening on a crowded Gallery Place Metro platform, one man stepped up to help: a 23-year-old law student.  Andrew Miller was on his way home when he came upon the scene. Bystanders screamed and others watched, and he quickly realized that if no one did anything, Rowley would either be kicked in the head repeatedly or thrown against a moving train.  “When I realized that Mr. Rowley was in pretty bad shape, in a bad position, I realized I’m not going to be somebody who stands by, so I stepped up,” said Miller, who is from Dallas, Texas.  (Rowley was on his way to meet a friend Friday evening when he was attacked. He told WTOP earlier this week that he believes the group attacked him for fun.)  The George Washington University law student entered the fray, which involved an uncertain number of attackers, and took two punches. He blocked the first; the second knocked him down.

A year ago, but similar.  

23 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Probably a bunch of underprivileged youths who act like that because they just experienced having an uncle shot or their mother overdosing.  It's been said that things like that cause kids to not be able to learn in school.  The fear and stress probably caused them to not learn how to act in a civilized manner and not gang-attack people.

'stopit':rolleyes:

...........................................................................................................................................................................

See Something Say Something.

Good for this young man and a speedy recovery for Mr. Rowley.

criminals are guessing most people will do nothing..............wrong this time!

Didn't see a mention in the story of how many were phone recording instead of helping stop it.

34 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Didn't see a mention in the story of how many were phone recording instead of helping stop it.

I would imagine it is a pretty sure bet. A search of social media would likely prove it. And I am not since I have better things to do with my life.....like clean the kitty litter.