Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Just Pondering

17-Year Locust Sightings

14 posts in this topic

Believe it our not, went for a run yesterday in locust point and had 2 fly into my face along the way ......

There were a few on my storm door screen and the tree next to my house when I got home from work the other night.

I have seen them every few years.  There are quite a few overlapping broods.  Also, I think that species (magicicada) has a 13 year cycle brood or two as well.  Last year was insane for the annual and 3 year broods here in Frederick.  It was deafening at times.

These cicadas are a 17-year brood due to return en masse in 2021. A fraction are emerging early. I have had several inside my screen porch as they emerge from their shells, which tells me this porch and attached deck was probably in a different state in 2004. 

One appears to have been caught and killed by a spider just as it was about the come out of its shell. I've seen hundred or thousand of cyclical cicadas and their shells in my life, but this is the first I've ever seen in the midst of the final stage of metamorphosis. 

I've seen about 10 or 12 so far, but haven't heard one. I think the birds are picking them off quickly. Which is one reason they normally hatch in the billions. Sheer numbers overwhelm predators. 

I hear they're delicious! Has anyone partaken?

20 hours ago, Scaggsville said:

I hear they're delicious! Has anyone partaken?

Like on purpose?

I have not heard a sound from one of them. I think our feathered friends are picking them off immediately. Wow. 13 years as a nymph, emerge from the ground and gulp! Whatta life! 

I think the really big brood is due in 2021. But there are other broods, and apparently this one is pretty large as well. Can hear the constant din of the chirping (more like a whirling) sounds off in the distance here in EC.

On 5/28/2017 at 7:09 AM, Up2DaRack said:

I think the really big brood is due in 2021. But there are other broods, and apparently this one is pretty large as well. Can hear the constant din of the chirping (more like a whirling) sounds off in the distance here in EC.

Isn't the current crop supposed to early risers from the 2021 brood? 

On 5/28/2017 at 8:26 AM, mlatoman said:

I have not heard a sound from one of them. I think our feathered friends are picking them off immediately. Wow. 13 years as a nymph, emerge from the ground and gulp! Whatta life! 

Hi

As far as here in White Marsh, we've seen a ton. But go back several weeks, as the holes appeared here, the weather was cool, which really slowed these guys. So many live examples on our deck, getting devoured by other insects, because the Cicadas almost don't move if it's cool. It seems they were triggered, then slaughtered by cool temp immobility.

Like most seasonal insects,(and plants) it's the duration of sunlight that causes events, not the temp. 

I haven't seen any lately. But the annual cicadas are now out and making a racket.