Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HY3:13

S. Smothers no longer at WVU?

81 posts in this topic

Apparently he is no longer @ school and headed for a CC in California?? Article I saw didn't really specify why? 

I'm not sure why he's transferring but he was held out of spring practice due to academics.  Good luck to him wherever he lands.

35 minutes ago, HY3:13 said:

Apparently he is no longer @ school and headed for a CC in California?? Article I saw didn't really specify why? 

Both articles I read clearly say that he was suspended from the team due to "academic issues" and that he was leaving WVU. Knucklehead. 

Opportunity to grow.  We all grow and learn every single day.  Wishing nothing but success from him.   

5 hours ago, Oldtime said:

Both articles I read clearly say that he was suspended from the team due to "academic issues" and that he was leaving WVU. Knucklehead. 

Why a knucklehead, do you know him personally? Maybe we should start blaming the system instead of the kids. It's all about getting to college even if the student is not necessarily prepared for the academics or being on their own. 

27 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Why a knucklehead, do you know him personally? Maybe we should start blaming the system instead of the kids. It's all about getting to college even if the student is not necessarily prepared for the academics or being on their own. 

All this guy does is bash young men. In just this week, he has bashed Smothers, Tommy Stuart and Kai Locksley! 

I see that former Dunbar QB William Crest decided to stay at West Va after announcing earlier this year he was transferring.  I hope it works out for him.

28 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

All this guy does is bash young men. In just this week, he has bashed Smothers, Tommy Stuart and Kai Locksley! 

Says the King of bashers. 

58 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Knucklehead for not taking advantage of a free education. Who's guiding this young man?  

9 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

Knucklehead for not taking advantage of a free education. Who's guiding this young man?  

Maybe he was trying hard to take advantage of the education and maybe he was having problems.

1 hour ago, jbmad said:

Agree, but then we can't blame the system when the kids need to be held out of sports to focus on academics. When that happens, parents go crazy as they yell it affects college recruiting. Can't have it both ways.  Because if you push kids thru HS so they can get on the field, then we end up with colleges doing what NC did. That's big picture but it sounds like Franklin HS most likely did not hold this young man accountable from an academic standpoint. I wish him only the best and maybe a CC at this time will be in his best interest.  

52 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

I see what you mean, but maybe if he was guided in the right direction thru the whole process of high school, athletics, academics and recruiting he may not be in this position. I believe parents rely way to much on their kids making it big in athletics and let them just slide thru academically. I believe that we will be seeing alot more of this in the near future 

I hope the CC option helps to prepare him for a to return to D1 football.  Outside of returning to D1 to play sports, I hope the CC does what needs to be done to modify his outlook on how important education is.  Too many guys think college is only a layover to the next level when actually it is a stop they need to take seriously because the next level is a business and the numbers moving on to it is less than small.

These guys better understand that college is a business as well. If you are delivering a low or no return on their investment they change direction.

Good Luck to him.  

The other harsh reality for the elite D-I athletes is this...when you get a to a college program, there are now 5 kids/men at every position and ALL of them were All State and the best player in their respective leagues, so as soon as you slip up - whether it's academic, behavior, performance - Coaches will simply move on to the next guy in line. It's a cut throat mentality and hopefully, like others have posted, a wake-up call.

11 hours ago, jbmad said:

I see what you mean, but maybe if he was guided in the right direction thru the whole process of high school, athletics, academics and recruiting he may not be in this position. I believe parents rely way to much on their kids making it big in athletics and let them just slide thru academically. I believe that we will be seeing alot more of this in the near future 

Couldn't say it any better. 

it was more than academics

Always been rumors floating about Balt.Co about him having academic issues.

If your kid struggles with academics, get the high school athletic staff to get him tutors (not to baby him) to actually teach him the material. If they want him on the field badly enough it will happen. Ditto on SATs/ACTs. There are no shortcuts academically, but its a lot easier to do with the right kind of help. If you instill the right kind of study habits in high school, it will pay off in college.

College: Only you have your child's best interests at heart. Manage the football process (get the most out of the free or subsidized education) and make sure your son has a "real" major. Look up a program's graduation percentages (there are a number of different metrics out there) and ask for a list of graduating majors. Also ask for the team's cumulative GPA. Those three sets of data will let you know if your actually getting something of value for your football skills. Screw the NFL (making money there is like hitting the lottery). Focus on the odds and be a good parent. its about the education. 

21 minutes ago, mop said:

If your kid struggles with academics, get the high school athletic staff to get him tutors (not to baby him) to actually teach him the material. If they want him on the field badly enough it will happen. Ditto on SATs/ACTs. There are no shortcuts academically, but its a lot easier to do with the right kind of help. If you instill the right kind of study habits in high school, it will pay off in college.

College: Only you have your child's best interests at heart. Manage the football process (get the most out of the free or subsidized education) and make sure your son has a "real" major. Look up a program's graduation percentages (there are a number of different metrics out there) and ask for a list of graduating majors. Also ask for the team's cumulative GPA. Those three sets of data will let you know if your actually getting something of value for your football skills. Screw the NFL (making money there is like hitting the lottery). Focus on the odds and be a good parent. its about the education. 

Well said 

Posted (edited)

MOP, the only thing I would like to add, high school is too late.  Get young men to buy into academics in elementary school.  Academics require fundamentals just like athletics.  We have to develop a joy in learning in young men. A sense of confidence in the classroom. We (parents and  coaches) reclassify for athletics, hopefully we are also using that year to develop academics.  Coaches encourage kids to play year round sports, lets encourage year round learning.  

Edited by FBCoach
Misspelled word

We must continue to preach academics first 

Posted (edited)

Not a lot of "academics first" in the A conference right now.  Funny how people want to criticize a kid and his priorities but we have adults actively advocating to put disadvantaged kids in a less advantageous academic situation for football reasons.  

Before we go to blaming a particular school or coaches, this is a league problem.  Perception is reality and the perception is as bad as anything that I have ever seen.  Makes ECA look like Harvard.  

Edited by aacountyfootball

6 hours ago, aacountyfootball said:

Not a lot of "academics first" in the A conference right now.  Funny how people want to criticize a kid and his priorities but we have adults actively advocating to put disadvantaged kids in a less advantageous academic situation for football reasons.  

Before we go to blaming a particular school or coaches, this is a league problem.  Perception is reality and the perception is as bad as anything that I have ever seen.  Makes ECA look like Harvard.  

Well said.