Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HY3:13

S. Smothers no longer at WVU?

81 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

While I love what everyone had to say about how students should approach their academics, who's to say this young man wasn't trying hard to approach his academics in the same fashion ? Not all educated students fare well in college. The national average of students that don't make it back their sophomore year is near 33%. (https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/freshmen-least-most-likely-return and https://www.collegeatlas.org/college-dropout.html ) I know my high school's Valedictorian flunked out of Howard University. As the great philosopher Benny Hill once stated .....   

At least the young man didn't just flat out quit school all together.  I just wish the young man nothing but the best.

Edited by ShoNuff07
addition

11 hours ago, aacountyfootball said:

Not a lot of "academics first" in the A conference right now.  Funny how people want to criticize a kid and his priorities but we have adults actively advocating to put disadvantaged kids in a less advantageous academic situation for football reasons.  

Before we go to blaming a particular school or coaches, this is a league problem.  Perception is reality and the perception is as bad as anything that I have ever seen.  Makes ECA look like Harvard.  

Smothers was at Franklin not A conference.  

8 hours ago, RM7 said:

I'm pretty sure he's making a general statement about what's going on the A Conference and how athletics seem to be a priority over academics at some institutions. That attitude is what helps drive some of these situations. 

8 hours ago, RM7 said:

Its funny how dudes talk about the academics in other high schools/leauges, but dont talk about this exact same situation within the league they hold so dear. SMDH!:huh: 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Oldtime said:

I'm pretty sure he's making a general statement about what's going on the A Conference and how athletics seem to be a priority over academics at some institutions. That attitude is what helps drive some of these situations. 

Not "some institutions". I am talking about the entire league.  If the Ivy league let Youngstown State in, then Harvard and Yale cannot distance themselves from that situation.  You are who you associate with.  You cannot embrace the academics first model for a league and then try to distance yourself from that same league when the model changes.  The A conference and all of the schools in it have become  who they associate with.  I get tired of hearing coaches complain about what a particular school is doing.  They need to embrace what the league has become because I'm calling BS on all of those who try to distance themselves from it.   

Nothing wrong with Harvard or Youngstown State. But, if they partner and Youngstown State becomes the face of the Ivy, then that is what it is.  When I or anyone else thinks of the A conference, we think of SFA, who probably will garner national attention this year.  Perception is definitely reality.  In other words, stop the BS about how the A conference is the gold standard for the off the field stuff because the national reputation is otherwise.  St. Albans wouldn't play in a league with Avalon in it.  

Edited by aacountyfootball

So am I reading this correctly, you are saying that all the schools in the A conference should follow suite as to what SFA is doing. Bringing in large numbers of transfers from every possible place they can get them. Dressing up the academics so they can get kids into schools and so on. 

Just now, jbmad said:

So am I reading this correctly, you are saying that all the schools in the A conference should follow suite as to what SFA is doing. Bringing in large numbers of transfers from every possible place they can get them. Dressing up the academics so they can get kids into schools and so on. 

I am saying to some degree, they are already there.  The Gilman show packed up and took their same show to SFA.  It is just bigger now, but the same show.  McD copied the Gilman model years ago  in order to keep up.  CHC, Loyola, MSJ and Spalding have generally maintained their integrity, but there is no virtue among whores in this brothel when nearly half of the league is a sh!t show.  

Posted (edited)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the so-called "A" conference based an Athletics ( sports prowess and abilities ) and not Academic standing.....

Edited by DayWalker

Come on DW you are smarter than that.  Why try to downgrade the importance of strong academics

Posted (edited)

It's no downplay but rather so many in here mesh A-level MIAA play with A-grade academics and auto paths to Ivy League schools when the two or three maybe over many years at such institutions/leagues is really no different than the two or three across the board who are at Ivy League type schools from other places.  So many, in fact most, from so-called strong academic high schools end up at the same colleges and universities as just about everyone else to include the thought of lower tier academic secondary institutions.

But to the point of the thread and Smothers, some here seem to be in his case over academics and are placing fault at Franklin.  But these same folks would never place fault at DeMatha AND Gilman over college academic issues with someone like Cockerille.  Just understand that about 1 out 4 kids (25%) who enter college as freshmen under athletic scholarship are no longer on scholarship going into what should be the sophomore season for a multitude of reasons, legit or suspect.

aacounty is on point about the Gilman show just relocating but under the ole management that had GA all gilly and all for as long ( or short ) as it lasted, sorry gillytech about the reference of GA being gilly....

Edited by DayWalker

But that's the problem we are talking about DW, schools and coaches along with parents taking the easy way out and lowering standards. By raising the students GPA making it easier to score a qualifying test grade. Are we helping these so called student athletes or setting them up for failure. 

And all of you know that schools, coaches, and parents are taking the easy way out and "lowering standards", that they are raising student GPA making it easier to score a qualifying test grade, and that we even more help these so-called student-athletes or set them up for failure!!!!!  Let's get real JD especially involving football and basketball, we are talking more about athlete-students and NOT student-athletes; that is, athletes --- revenue sources first and then students if it happens to work out with most colleges and the player.

Or is it not much more different now than it always has been for decades upon decades upon decades....  Come on JD, Dexter Manley had a football career entering the NFL and supposedly couldn't read or read well beyond an elementary school level.

Bad example there DW, is that what we as parents and coaches want for kids. An illiterate drug addict. Come on DW you gotta have something better than that. It's all about what you do after college and football. 99%of these guys playing high school football or basketball won't make it to the league. So they will need that education to get along in life. You are a smart guy you should understand that 

DW, I actually changed the subject on purpose.  I cringe everytime we publicly critique a 16-22 year old for their decisions as if we didn't make mistakes at the same age.  

5 hours ago, Tomslick said:

Its funny how dudes talk about the academics in other high schools/leauges, but dont talk about this exact same situation within the league they hold so dear. SMDH!:huh: 

I was speaking that he wasn't from the A conference an that alone.  If we want to talk about academics an the A conference all you need to do is read what I've posted all along about schools so called "higher standards" in the A conference dude.  

26 minutes ago, aacountyfootball said:

DW, I actually changed the subject on purpose.  I cringe everytime we publicly critique a 16-22 year old for their decisions as if we didn't make mistakes at the same age.  

I agree with you AA but these kids put themselves on this stage.  An when you do you have to be prepared for the bad.  

1 hour ago, jbmad said:

Bad example there DW, is that what we as parents and coaches want for kids. An illiterate drug addict. Come on DW you gotta have something better than that. It's all about what you do after college and football. 99%of these guys playing high school football or basketball won't make it to the league. So they will need that education to get along in life. You are a smart guy you should understand that 

What parents and coaches want for kids and even what they want for themselves does not often marry with reality JD.  Life happens to be a harsh lesson of life and even a better educator than a formal education.  Not everyone will go through grade school and college and turn out to be president.  In fact, in over 200-years with millions over millions over millions of folks, only 45 have become president.  What I am saying JD is not everyone will be what you consider a success in life based upon your standard or ideas but nonetheless be quite the success in life.

I am NOT saying a quality education will not help take one far in life but you are of the school of thought that a formal education is a necessity.  Most of my friends and associates are college educated as is yours truly BUT the lot of us are NOT better "worldly educated" than the lot of my grandfather and his friends who are not college educated but educated in life and experiences.  My grandfather physically built the house he in lived in for 45-years on an 3-acre lot.  The lot of me and my friends can't cut the grass on our 1/4-acre sub-division lots without hiring someone.  I recall my grandfather once looking at me like I stole something when I told him I had the brakes replaced on my SUV he thought was a minor skill everyone could do blind folded.  I vividly recall my grandfather commented how poorly educated college kids were when he saw many of them driving while texting when he was with me as I checked in my daughter for freshman college dorm move in many years ago.

What I am saying jd is that I disagree with you that a formal education is a must "to get along in life".....yes, perhaps earning potential.  But my grandfather did more making $30k a year or less raising far more kids than yours truly earning six figures with just a few kids.  If you ever get a chance, listen to a true story from Coach Ambrose of Towson U about life and being a success in life after he was faced with a life and death flash before one's eyes situation.  Many things so many see as so very important may not add up to jack when life really flashes before one's eyes.

50 minutes ago, RM7 said:

I agree with you AA but these kids put themselves on this stage.  An when you do you have to be prepared for the bad.  

Sounds like life with kids and adults.  Are we all prepared for the bad you say kids should be prepared for....

DW I agree that you don't have to have a formal education to be educated in real life. But we are talking about kids getting into college here, are we not. If you are taking a scholarship to go to college you should take advantage and get that formal education, should you not?  In reality society today is raising a bunch of kids who think they deserve everything to be given to them instead of working for it. 

1 hour ago, jbmad said:

DW I agree that you don't have to have a formal education to be educated in real life. But we are talking about kids getting into college here, are we not. If you are taking a scholarship to go to college you should take advantage and get that formal education, should you not?  In reality society today is raising a bunch of kids who think they deserve everything to be given to them instead of working for it. 

I guess we are talking about kids getting into college BUT not all kids who enter college complete the course of study to be awarded a degree for the real education to start.  Sometimes even college is a bad fit for some.  Some need to learn or be educated in different ways and I'm telling you that you are very shortsighted to say leaving a college after just one year is the end all of everything.  Smothers very well could have learned a heck of lot more in his year of WVU without success in life by your measure than so many others who were awarded degrees in just 4-years last week.  Smothers is the one who will live with the consequences of his actions, in-actions, and decision.

Sure it would be have been great to "...have taken advantage and get that formal education..." but the book is NOT closed on a 18-19 year old kid because he departed WVU.  Society ain't raising any kids who think they deserve everything to be given to them instead of working for it, their peeps are doing that if at all.  But the bottom line is that I suspect Smothers was a very good high school athlete who work very hard at that and it wasn't just something he felt he deserved and got with no or very little work.  He probably worked so much harder on athletics than academics.  Now it remains to be seen he can right the ship if that's what he wishes to do.  But Smothers is not the first and he will not be the last to realize that college play is far far far different than high school ball.

I wish the kid the very best and state that his path in life is not yet set and that the sky is still the limit once he is grounded and know just what he wants to do and go about doing it once he figures out what an ole coach once told me that we all will NOT play football for so much longer than we would play it.

First off I never put the kid down in any way. You are absolutely right that college is not for everyone and just because his first attempt did work doesn't mean he won't succeed in another attempt or at something else. I also wish him the best in what path he takes. 

Its not the end of the world fellas...its a bit too soon to label the kid a failure just because he is going to a JUCO

4 hours ago, RM7 said:

Yep, with all the accolades comes the downside as well. 

3 hours ago, BJC said:

Its not the end of the world fellas...its a bit too soon to label the kid a failure just because he is going to a JUCO

Agree with you 100%...it is NOT the end of the world AND a bit TOO EARLY to call the young man a failure.

14 hours ago, jbmad said:

JB, we talked about this. People aren't going to take your academics first sermon seriously posting things like follow suite (pronounced 'follow sweet'). Just a pointer, on the house.