Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HY3:13

S. Smothers no longer at WVU?

81 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, BJC said:

Its not the end of the world fellas...its a bit too soon to label the kid a failure just because he is going to a JUCO

David Sills and William Crest both left WVU for athletic reasons and returned.  I wouldn't be surprised if Smothers did the same thing.  The kid is talented enough to play at WVU if the grades are right.

On 5/28/2017 at 9:55 AM, aacountyfootball said:

I am saying to some degree, they are already there.  The Gilman show packed up and took their same show to SFA.  It is just bigger now, but the same show.  McD copied the Gilman model years ago  in order to keep up.  CHC, Loyola, MSJ and Spalding have generally maintained their integrity, but there is no virtue among whores in this brothel when nearly half of the league is a sh!t show.  

Facts. 

On 5/28/2017 at 0:46 PM, RM7 said:

I agree with you AA but these kids put themselves on this stage.  An when you do you have to be prepared for the bad.  

No the adults do. At the end of the day, adults are responsible for the positions we  put kids in. That's why I'm not a fan of all these "hype youth leagues". They make it seem about the kids, but it's entertainment for the adults. 

1 minute ago, Maroontiger419 said:

No the adults do. At the end of the day, adults are responsible for the positions we  put kids in. That's why I'm not a fan of all these "hype youth leagues". They make it seem about the kids, but it's entertainment for the adults. 

Aren't we talking about a young man that's at least 20 years old?  Hardly a kid. 

9 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

Aren't we talking about a young man that's at least 20 years old?  Hardly a kid. 

Yeah but it starts at a much earlier age, these kids are being told by the time they are 10 that they are the greatest thing ever

19 minutes ago, Maroontiger419 said:

Not in high school they don't. 

I believe that people are responsible for motivating themselves to be successful.  Blaming coaches, parents, and teachers for lack of success in the classroom is not fair.  I think our job as a community is to show the consequences of actions, both positive and negative.  If you work hard in and out of the classroom, you will have a chance in  college.  Our job is to set the table, make kids want to excel in all aspects of their lives.  We do that by encouraging and supporting education and athletics.  You can't look at a kid at 18 and say, "You are on your own, make sure you grades are straight."  We have to give them the tools from an early age.  Academic success starts early, we have to change the attitude from, "It is good enough, I am eligible."  To, "I am going to college, and I will be successful."  Academically, we have to put kids in a place where they can compete.  How many times have we seen teams play superior teams, they are just getting beat and beat up, eventually they lose their will to compete.  Many just give up.  We have to nurture academics like we do athletics.  Some kids are gifted athletes, but struggle in the class room.  How do we help them develop?  Encourage them.  Athletes are the key to their success, we just need to coach them in the classroom as hard as we on the field.  This is just my thoughts.

Great points and insight FBCoach. I agree whole heartedly and we all know the story of the elite athlete who is continually promoted whether he has done the work or not, because that athlete brings accolades and often wins to his program. We've heard the stories (UNC Football, Dexter Manley) of athletes who did NOTHING in HS and even college, yet were propped up and praised due to their ability to play a game well. The reality for most of these guys however, smacks them in the face when they arrive on campus and their are 6 other DUDES that play their same position. You don't perform in the classroom and go through the process and coaches will move on to the next guy.   

Does anyone know which Juco Smothers will be attending?

2 hours ago, Operations said:

Does anyone know which Juco Smothers will be attending?

Fullerton I believe. 

On 6/1/2017 at 10:19 AM, FBCoach said:

I believe that people are responsible for motivating themselves to be successful.  Blaming coaches, parents, and teachers for lack of success in the classroom is not fair.  I think our job as a community is to show the consequences of actions, both positive and negative.  If you work hard in and out of the classroom, you will have a chance in  college.  Our job is to set the table, make kids want to excel in all aspects of their lives.  We do that by encouraging and supporting education and athletics.  You can't look at a kid at 18 and say, "You are on your own, make sure you grades are straight."  We have to give them the tools from an early age.  Academic success starts early, we have to change the attitude from, "It is good enough, I am eligible."  To, "I am going to college, and I will be successful."  Academically, we have to put kids in a place where they can compete.  How many times have we seen teams play superior teams, they are just getting beat and beat up, eventually they lose their will to compete.  Many just give up.  We have to nurture academics like we do athletics.  Some kids are gifted athletes, but struggle in the class room.  How do we help them develop?  Encourage them.  Athletes are the key to their success, we just need to coach them in the classroom as hard as we on the field.  This is just my thoughts.

Coach,

While I do agree with most of what you stated, can you share with us why you feel the parent(s) shouldn't share any of the blame for lack of success in the classroom?

Ultimately it is a person's decision to do what it takes to be successful.  I can offer after school tutoring to my athletes, I can offer time to meet with teachers, I can arrange review sessions, but if a player/student isn't willing to do the work, I cannot make them learn.  I can hold them accountable, if you don't do the work you don't play.  Maybe you take a cellphone away, say "no" to a tournament, I had a parent take away a kids 8th grade football season.  He eventually graduated from UVA, but mom shut him down to motivate him. It is hard to watch our kids be angry at us, but I'd rather have them angry at me in middle school, then watch him fail out of college.  I believe we accept too many "good enough" efforts from our kids, and we don't encourage excellence in academics.  Kids need to understand that grades are a reflection of who they are, just like athletics.  We need to encourage student/athletes to do their best.  One of my favorite Nick Sabah quotes, "How you do anything, is how you do everything."

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, FBCoach said:

Ultimately it is a person's decision to do what it takes to be successful.  I can offer after school tutoring to my athletes, I can offer time to meet with teachers, I can arrange review sessions, but if a player/student isn't willing to do the work, I cannot make them learn.  I can hold them accountable, if you don't do the work you don't play.  Maybe you take a cellphone away, say "no" to a tournament, I had a parent take away a kids 8th grade football season.  He eventually graduated from UVA, but mom shut him down to motivate him. It is hard to watch our kids be angry at us, but I'd rather have them angry at me in middle school, then watch him fail out of college.  I believe we accept too many "good enough" efforts from our kids, and we don't encourage excellence in academics.  Kids need to understand that grades are a reflection of who they are, just like athletics.  We need to encourage student/athletes to do their best.  One of my favorite Nick Sabah quotes, "How you do anything, is how you do everything."

Coach,

Again, I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, spot on!  And I do agree that ultimately it is the student-athlete responsibility to try to be the best he can be, most definitely. But if the parent(s) is not training/guiding he/she correctly while they living in the house then the parent(s) should hold some of the blame, not all of it, but some portion of it. That parent that took away that kid's 8th grade football season....she must either heard about or is kin to the parents of the late great Cortez Kennedy!  Just watch the first couple of mins of his Hall of Fame speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K372jWqNsJo

Just like you said Coach, you should rather have your child mad at you way before college than to see him fail when they are basically out of your home.

Edited by ShoNuff07
addition

Hey eaglesinsider your top player Ellis was playin QB for National Christian today down at UMD 7 on 7 tourney.  

13 minutes ago, DJ88 said:

Hey eaglesinsider your top player Ellis was playin QB for National Christian today down at UMD 7 on 7 tourney.  

He's transferring again? That would be a HUGE loss for them. 

54 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

He's transferring again? That would be a HUGE loss for them. 

Not sure but he was playing with there team going both ways QB an DB.  Think it's odd him playing for another team.   Can't imagine the Mcdonogh staff would sign off on that.  

1 hour ago, DJ88 said:

Not sure but he was playing with there team going both ways QB an DB.  Think it's odd him playing for another team.   Can't imagine the Mcdonogh staff would sign off on that.  

It is very odd to be playing with another team. And you're right, I would find it very hard to believe they would be ok with that. If I'm to guess, there's something to it and he's probably leaving Mcd. 

6 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

It is very odd to be playing with another team. And you're right, I would find it very hard to believe they would be ok with that. If I'm to guess, there's something to it and he's probably leaving Mcd. 

Sounds like dad continues to shop the kid around. Unbelievable. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Oldtime said:

Sounds like dad continues to shop the kid around. Unbelievable. 

Or it could be the young man is trying to get in as much "work" as possible prior to the season.  His twitter account still reflects McDonogh High School. Did he missed a 7 on 7 tourney that weekend that McDonogh participated in?

Edited by ShoNuff07
addition

2 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Or it could be the young man is trying to get in as much "work" as possible prior to the season.  His twitter account still reflects McDonogh High School. Did he missed a 7 on 7 tourney that weekend that McDonogh participated in?

That could be true but really makes no sense. Why get in work with another team, conceivably learning and running their passing/secondary plays? Wouldn't that school want their incumbent QB to get the reps with their receivers?

Also, why risk injury playing with another school? However slight it might be. 

32 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

That could be true but really makes no sense. Why get in work with another team, conceivably learning and running their passing/secondary plays? Wouldn't that school want their incumbent QB to get the reps with their receivers?

Also, why risk injury playing with another school? However slight it might be. 

GA,

I agree with you that what he did was not good "Photo Ops", don't get me wrong.  But National Christian is in PG County...and according to his Twitter account he's from PG County.  Maybe he has some friends that plays for National Christian and he was just getting in some work.  Maybe National Christian's QB was unable to attend the Tourney and they (perhaps friends) asked him to play.  Not a good look, no doubt.  But maybe he did clear this with the coaches at McDonogh....who knows.  I guess we should play that waiting game until actual football practice starts.

1 hour ago, ShoNuff07 said:

GA,

I agree with you that what he did was not good "Photo Ops", don't get me wrong.  But National Christian is in PG County...and according to his Twitter account he's from PG County.  Maybe he has some friends that plays for National Christian and he was just getting in some work.  Maybe National Christian's QB was unable to attend the Tourney and they (perhaps friends) asked him to play.  Not a good look, no doubt.  But maybe he did clear this with the coaches at McDonogh....who knows.  I guess we should play that waiting game until actual football practice starts.

Since we're talking maybe's, maybe daddy is shopping him around. Been doing it for years. 

31 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

Since we're talking maybe's, maybe daddy is shopping him around. Been doing it for years. 

I will play The Waiting Game and see what happens.  If it's elsewhere then fine. If he's not then fine.

Smothers was put on a pedestal in middle school, similar to Aquille Carr in basketball. The kid was never held accountable for his books, but his team won games with him on the field. True, at 18-20 these guys are definitely making their own decisions, but what about the adults that were supposed to lay the template for his future success, instead of keeping him eligible to win games. He should have sat a season in HS to help him understand the importance of the academic side, instead of talking to his teachers for help changing grades. To play college ball, you have to attend college, do well in school. Hopefully he will make the most of the JUCO route and be back on the big stage in a few years. He is a special talent, always has been.