Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
workerbee

A lot of History prior to "I'm naked right now"

3 posts in this topic

Title as it appeared in the Wilmington Star.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/05/24/before-there-was-twitter-there-was-morse-code-remembering-social-medias-true-inventor/?utm_term=.2d97dd672a90

"In late March of 2006, a college dropout named Jack Dorsey finished coding a site for Internet users to post 140-character messages.  It was called twttr.  Internet histories record Dorsey’s first tweet as a pivotal moment in the rise of social media. They are wrong. The history of social media began almost two centuries earlier, on May 24, 1844, when Samuel F.B. Morse, a painter-turned-inventor, sent a message from Washington to Baltimore.

Back then, Morse wasn’t typing with his thumbs but was instead tapping dots and dashes “on a device of cogs and coiled wires,” as one historian later put it. While the telegraph had been around in idea and rudimentary form, Morse devised a way to use electricity for sending a series of codes signaling letters of the alphabet.  Suddenly, the country began shrinking in ways that sound distinctly familiar.  “Telegraph operators could chat with each other by tapping on their keys,” the English journalist Tom Standage wrote in “Writing on the Wall: Social Media — the First 2,000 Years.” “All the operators along the line could hear everything that was transmitted and join in the unofficial banter, in effect occupying a single, shared chat room.”

"But by historical comparison, they were lucky.

They didn’t have to live in a world with this:

God I hate the Kardashian's. 

I ran several websites for some places back in the 90's. Started with Claris 2.0 then graduated to MS Front Page then FP 2000 then finally got into Dreamweaver. Got to be a bit of a minor celebrity with them back when having a website was New & Fun, "Oh You're the Web Guy!", but after several years it all became kind of So What and after a while I was putting too much of my own time & effort into it than I wanted to anymore and Quit. Years ago one Kid at work said "Let me show you my Website!" and he showed me his MySpace page. I said "That's not a Real Website, that's a bunch of Crap!" So I don't Tweet or Facebook and I don't "Like" anything. Why? Been there done that. It was just another Hobby. Fun for a while but I'm Done with it all.

Edited by Bartman