Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

MTA BaltimoreLink Schedules; BaltimoreLink now in effect, free rides until June 30th.

145 posts in this topic

Good.  I've been looking for them.

Even though I've moved to New Jersey, I'll be back on 18 June and will check out some of BaltimoreLink.

Posted (edited)

Love how they put in a Your Route section on the website so you can see what the new link number is.

Edited by bmore_ken

I thought part of the BaltimoreLink plan was to extend Sunday Light Rail hours, but it looks like that isn't happening.

Twenty-four hour service isn't always 24 hours, particularly Sunday into Monday.

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

I thought part of the BaltimoreLink plan was to extend Sunday Light Rail hours, but it looks like that isn't happening.

It was, got taken out between the Third Draft and the Final Draft of the BaltimoreLink plan for reasons unknown. I hope that proposal is revived sometime in the near future.

KSweeley--

Probably a cost (labor) consideration.

5 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

KSweeley--

Probably a cost (labor) consideration.

Possibly, by the way, how are you doing Baltimatt? I remember you saying you had been diagnosed with cancer.

KSweeley--

I'm doing OK for now.  I retired because I couldn't keep up the pace of working, even part time.  I'm done with chemo for now and it seems to have had the desired effect.

Moved up to New Jersey to be close to family.

Still waiting for Social Security Disability to come through.  They've made a medical determination and are processing my benefits, but that takes two months.

Hope you're doing well.

KSweeley--

Check your Private Message inbox.

I did ride the NJ Transit bus yesterday.  I get the senior rate at age 62, although I was charged senior rate when I was younger just by the driver taking a look at me. :eek:

Where I'm buying doesn't have convenient transit service so I'll be relying on family members or Uber/Lyft for transportation.

Posted (edited)

Matt, When I was determined to be medically unfit by the State of MD.

I immediately got medical retirement from them. However, when I went

to Social Security. They made me jump through more hoops than a gymnast!

One night I saw an ad on cable for an outfit called Binder & Binder. They stated

that if they didn't win you your claim that there was no fee!!

I gave them a call and they took my info and said that they would review it

and let me know in 1-2 days of their decision. They called me and sent me the forms to fill 

out. My only out of pocket expense was for the medical records required, which was nominal.

I had my money within about 6-8 weeks!:)

Contact me privately if you would like more details.

DaJellyBelly

PS: I considered their fee to be reasonable.

Edited by DaJellyBelly

1 hour ago, DaJellyBelly said:

Matt, When I was determined to be medically unfit by the State of MD.

I immediately got medical retirement from them. However, when I went

to Social Security. They made me jump through more hoops than a gymnast!

One night I saw an ad on cable for an outfit called Binder & Binder. They stated

that if they didn't win you your claim that there was no fee!!

I gave them a call and they took my info and said that they would review it

and let me know in 1-2 days of their decision. They called me and sent me the forms to fill 

out. My only out of pocket expense was for the medical records required, which was nominal.

I had my money within about 6-8 weeks!:)

Contact me privately if you would like more details.

DaJellyBelly

PS: I considered their fee to be reasonable.

JellyBelly--

Thanks for the info.  While what they posted on the website for my account is vague, when I called up I was told I have been approved but it still takes two months to get things rolling.  I'll check with them soon and see where things are, but I'll keep that in mind if I'm not getting anywhere with SS.

Posted (edited)

Link: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-baltimorelink-week-ahead-20170611-story.html

Including one who says they are retiring from their job and the primary reason for the decision is BaltimoreLink:

Still, many remain skeptical about the state's plan to fix its notoriously unreliable bus system — and irritated about an upcoming ticket price increase set to go into effect a week later.

The MTA is allowing riders to use the system for free the first two weeks to allow people to get accustomed to the changes, but that's little solace for some riders.

Valerie Farmer shook her head as she stood in the rain last week outside a covered bus stop near Westview Mall in Catonsville, looking at the shelter's shattered glass panes scattered on the sidewalk.

Farmer, 61, a professor at the Community College of Baltimore County, takes the No. 15 bus from her home in Windsor Hills to the Craigmont Road stop at Westview, where she transfers to the No. 77 bus for the rest of the ride to the college.

She plans to leave her job after 20 years rather than use the new system, which would either require her to take the new LocalLink 79 to Security Boulevard in Woodlawn and transfer to the LocalLink 37 to CCBC, or take another route with an additional transfer.

"It's a mess," Farmer said. "I'm retiring. I don't want that commute."

Edited by KSweeley

This article also specifies where exactly within 6 Saint Paul (MTA HQ) the $65,000+ went to:

The departure of MTA Administrator Paul Comfort and his chief of staff, Jim Knighton, is disruptive but won't doom the BaltimoreLink debut, said Brian O'Malley, president of the Central Maryland Transportation Alliance, a rider advocacy group.

"They've already printed the schedules, they've already been training the operators, so they're really at the implementation of the final phase leading up to the launch," O'Malley said.

O'Malley praised Quinn as "very qualified," although he questioned the timing of Comfort's departure. The state transportation department gave no reasoning in its announcement Tuesday, calling it a personnel matter.

Documents released Friday showed that Knighton authorized spending of more than $65,000 on remodeling Comfort's offices in Baltimore. The purchases were made without competitive bids as required under state law for purchases of more than $25,000. Officials would not say whether the purchases were related to the departure of Comfort and Knighton.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-mta-baltimorelink-presser-20170612-story.html

In his first day of public appearances as acting Maryland Transit Administration CEO on Monday, Kevin B. Quinn Jr. made the rounds in Baltimore, updating City Council members and the media on the progress of Gov. Larry Hogan's impending $135 million overhaul of the region's bus routes, which goes into effect Sunday.

The new routes, designed based on ridership trends and the needs of potential riders and employers, are intended to better connect where people live with where they go today, whether it's employment centers, shopping or entertainment destinations, or other transit.

At the downtown news conference, Quinn — who was appointed last week to head the agency, following the departure of former CEO Paul Comfort — held up a backpack containing a thick binder of turn-by-turn route directions that have been distributed to each bus driver. He described the monumental task of unveiling 5,000 new bus stop signs that will take place Saturday night and said the MTA's focus for the next six days will be public outreach.

Although I have moved to NJ, I'll be back in town Sunday through Tuesday to check the new system out, among other things.

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/state-unveils-revamped-baltimorelink-bus-system/10024434

Baltimore's revamped bus system launches this weekend, which means plenty of changes for commuters.  The governor, mayor and City Council president gathered Wednesday at the West Baltimore MARC station to talk about the changes.

BaltimoreLink is being touted as a comprehensive, efficient and effective mass transit system. Supporters believe it's essential to the city's sustainability, prosperity and relevance, calling the new system is transforming.

They sure are hyping this thing on 95.  Are some route changes and dedicated lanes really going to "transform" transit?

4 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

They sure are hyping this thing on 95.  Are some route changes and dedicated lanes really going to "transform" transit?

Do you mean variable message signs on I-95?

It's being hyped a lot in ads on this board.  Of course there will still be some clueless people who will be caught by surprise on Sunday.

8 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Do you mean variable message signs on I-95?

It's being hyped a lot in ads on this board.  Of course there will still be some clueless people who will be caught by surprise on Sunday.

There's been a small sign on the shoulder for at least a week, but today they had something on the big overhead signs.

Ivan--

Thanks. 

On 6/4/2017 at 3:19 PM, Baltimatt said:

JellyBelly--

Thanks for the info.  While what they posted on the website for my account is vague, when I called up I was told I have been approved but it still takes two months to get things rolling.  I'll check with them soon and see where things are, but I'll keep that in mind if I'm not getting anywhere with SS.

It takes 6 months to start your payments. Then they hold the 1st month, so its really 7. Depending on which day of the month you are considered permanently disabled the time could start the following month. Within the first 2-3 days of the month they start that month, anything after goes to the next month.

Some of those disability companies take a percentage if you have been trying for awhile. You can get back benefits if you were out longer than 6 months.That's where they make their money.

4 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

There's been a small sign on the shoulder for at least a week, but today they had something on the big overhead signs.

I saw one on 83 coming down from Pa this morning.

On 6/15/2017 at 11:27 AM, stevez51 said:

It takes 6 months to start your payments. Then they hold the 1st month, so its really 7. Depending on which day of the month you are considered permanently disabled the time could start the following month. Within the first 2-3 days of the month they start that month, anything after goes to the next month.

Some of those disability companies take a percentage if you have been trying for awhile. You can get back benefits if you were out longer than 6 months.That's where they make their money.

I've been dealing directly with Social Security, and as far as I know have been approved under the "Compassion Allowance" program.   

Going to Google Maps and clicking on the bus stops shows me the final departures under the old system and the first departures under BaltimoreLink.

3 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

I've been dealing directly with Social Security, and as far as I know have been approved under the "Compassion Allowance" program.   

Going to Google Maps and clicking on the bus stops shows me the final departures under the old system and the first departures under BaltimoreLink.

I did the same. They went back to when I last went on disability at work and went 6 months forward. Then I didn't know they hold the 1st month. I was still on disability at work, then was able to retire when the payments started. Good luck to you.

Thanks, Steve.