Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

MTA BaltimoreLink Schedules; BaltimoreLink now in effect, free rides until June 30th.

145 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2017 at 10:47 AM, Baltimatt said:

 

I got official notice today that I had been approved for Social Security Disability beginning in October (for September).  I filed at the beginning of April after I stopped working.

Good for you!

I have a really stubborn friend who's wife was making great money got Leukemia and was let go. I also have another close friend that was a paper pusher in SS and he said....the first time almost never produces disability checks...unless you were in a horrible auto accident and lost all 4 limbs.

He said to apply and apply again....but as DaJelly pointed out.....if you want fast results or at least reasonable time results get a legal eagle....snap done....check in the mail.

But he is a stubborn a-hole....so I gave up.  I ignore him now when he cries poverty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Good for you!

I have a really stubborn friend who's wife was making great money got Leukemia and was let go. I also have another close friend that was a paper pusher in SS and he said....the first time almost never produces disability checks...unless you were in a horrible auto accident and lost all 4 limbs.

He said to apply and apply again....but as DaJelly pointed out.....if you want fast results or at least reasonable time results get a legal eagle....snap done....check in the mail.

But he is a stubborn a-hole....so I gave up.  I ignore him now when he cries poverty.

Well, I got approved my first time, but my condition falls under the "compassionate allowance' program.

I'm finding trips to Motor Vehicles are a lot less hectic here in New Jersey.  My son and I transferred our drivers licenses last week, and just today he registered his car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

You're driving Matt?! :o

No, but just maintaining a drivers license in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

No, but just maintaining a drivers license in case.

Schew. Jersey's safe... :) J/K Matt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

It wouldn't be perfect from the start, but it sounds like a complete mess, which is unfortunate.

If Baltimore isn't going to build a real, world-class transit system with heavy-rail or light rail, the aim should be to have the best bus system in the country. They weren't within eyesight of that before, and they may be even further from that now.

A real disappointment but it's also not surprising.

Didn't they have meetings on where people wanted the bus routes to go?  So, mta didn't listen?

As for a "real world class system".  I found these numbers.

https://mta.maryland.gov/mta-sets-new-ridership-record

So the cost for the red or purple line, can't remember which color.  Was estimated to be about 3b.  Which it would end up being much more, as with all govt projects.

So average of say half million riders.  At that cost, you have a initial investment of around 6k per rider.  Not even getting into operating costs or upkeep.  Which gets interesting as the current setup is supposed to get at least 30% of the cost in fares, and never has.

So where is all that money supposed to come from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, overtaxed said:

Didn't they have meetings on where people wanted the bus routes to go?  So, mta didn't listen?

As for a "real world class system".  I found these numbers.

https://mta.maryland.gov/mta-sets-new-ridership-record

So the cost for the red or purple line, can't remember which color.  Was estimated to be about 3b.  Which it would end up being much more, as with all govt projects.

So average of say half million riders.  At that cost, you have a initial investment of around 6k per rider.  Not even getting into operating costs or upkeep.  Which gets interesting as the current setup is supposed to get at least 30% of the cost in fares, and never has.

So where is all that money supposed to come from? 

We could stop destroying and rebuilding the infrastructure of Afghanistan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, overtaxed said:

Didn't they have meetings on where people wanted the bus routes to go?  So, mta didn't listen?

As for a "real world class system".  I found these numbers.

https://mta.maryland.gov/mta-sets-new-ridership-record

So the cost for the red or purple line, can't remember which color.  Was estimated to be about 3b.  Which it would end up being much more, as with all govt projects.

So average of say half million riders.  At that cost, you have a initial investment of around 6k per rider.  Not even getting into operating costs or upkeep.  Which gets interesting as the current setup is supposed to get at least 30% of the cost in fares, and never has.

So where is all that money supposed to come from? 

It's a chicken or egg argument with transit, especially in Bmore. When you build ineffective transit, like we have done, there is no incentive to ride over driving. If it's effective and reliable, and incentivizes leaving the car at home or a park and ride lot, people will use it.

The Red Line was not going to be effective or reliable. It was going to be a marginal upgrade over what the current LR is. For $2-3 billion that's not worth the money.

I'd like to see the city really commit to making the buses run on time. This is what we have...this is probably what we're always going to have...it should be to the point where the buses are about as effective as any other mode of transit. They are in other cities....it should be the same way here.

 

Edited by Pickle20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an extensive outreach program and development timeline for BaltimoreLink over 20 months.  The first draft was pretty bad; a dramatic break with the existing network that took transit off historic transit corridors.  Two additional drafts were produced that gradually brought transit back to most of the existing corridors, although often with different routes.

However, buses in city traffic are still subject to delay and bunching, and that seems to be the case even today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, overtaxed said:

Didn't they have meetings on where people wanted the bus routes to go?  So, mta didn't listen?

As for a "real world class system".  I found these numbers.

https://mta.maryland.gov/mta-sets-new-ridership-record

So the cost for the red or purple line, can't remember which color.  Was estimated to be about 3b.  Which it would end up being much more, as with all govt projects.

So average of say half million riders.  At that cost, you have a initial investment of around 6k per rider.  Not even getting into operating costs or upkeep.  Which gets interesting as the current setup is supposed to get at least 30% of the cost in fares, and never has.

So where is all that money supposed to come from? 

From what I have read .....they were pretty extensive in surveys etc etc.

But regardless of how well it is laid out and how well it runs. You have two factors that you will never ever overcome.

  • The.....well I been rid'n MY bus to work for years......that stopped right in front of my house and NOW....my God I have to walk a block over to catch it. MY GOD EXERCISE
  • Ohhhh the schedule..... I memorized the old schedule.....now I have to learn another one? AHHHH...NO THINKING NECESSARY....DOWNLOAD THE APP. DUH. And since the poorest of the poor still seem to have cells.....well.....

Three things that even the best of planning will not over come......human laziness, human stupidity and human resistance to change....even if it benfits them.

Sorry....but that s a fact jack.

I was not born nor raised in MD. NYC area was my stomping ground. In the NY area the schedule was pretty simple....mass transit from an outlying town ran every 1/2 hours to the city. In the city....again simple. Buses ran east west  and north south both ways...a bus came by every 10 minutes.

You want to go somewhere. Easy take bus North 5 blocks....get off...wait...10 min max...take bus 10 blocks west.

But admittedly, NYC is built on a grid....Baltimore ...more like a bunch of crazed monkees on LSD laid it out.:D So their is a diff.

But again coming from another place that almost seemed organized. Baltimore....it was and still is a hodgepodge of ahhhhhhhh ' bright....look at me....I did something' political ideas.

What I find incredibly funny....is when I look at the maps of old street cars routes....and I see the old rails still poking up through the roads in the city as they break down....and look at the map....and see how these old 'declared outdated' trollies spoked out to the suburbs.

And look at ahhhhhhh 'light rail'...and laugh....it was already there....you gooberment people just paved over it. So now.....what was old is new again.

I shake my head.

When I finally move from this area I hope I can ride a horse to the WaWa. :D

 

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

There was an extensive outreach program and development timeline for BaltimoreLink over 20 months.  The first draft was pretty bad; a dramatic break with the existing network that took transit off historic transit corridors.  Two additional drafts were produced that gradually brought transit back to most of the existing corridors, although often with different routes.

However, buses in city traffic are still subject to delay and bunching, and that seems to be the case even today.

Are there designated bus lanes downtown? Particularly for rush hour times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Are there designated bus lanes downtown? Particularly for rush hour times?

I thought that was part of the 'master plan'...especially along what was formerly known as the red line route?

HHmmmmmm maybe that is why they are tearing up some of the bike lanes.....to make space for the buses? That handle up to 35 people at a time 10 times a day vs the 20 or so that use the bike lane in the course of an entire day?:D

Just say'n

 

 

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Are there designated bus lanes downtown? Particularly for rush hour times?

Yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Yes. 

That's a good thing. Isn't Pugh's roll up plan of speed cameras and bus/cops/emergency vehicles also supposed to facilitate buses having the 'right of way' when they approach a light? Now that is a good idea.

Double edge blade.....buses fly through...good thing ...fast transit.... and people driving cars get po'ed and wonder....hey maybe I should take a bus?

See..... I can see positives in BC.

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Are there designated bus lanes downtown? Particularly for rush hour times?

 

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

I thought that was part of the 'master plan'...especially along what was formerly known as the red line route?

HHmmmmmm maybe that is why they are tearing up some of the bike lanes.....to make space for the buses? That handle up to 35 people at a time 10 times a day vs the 20 or so that use the bike lane in the course of an entire day?:D

Just say'n

 

 

Right now I believe the designated bus lanes are on Pratt, Lombard, Baltimore, and Fayette Street downtown.

Guido--The places with bus lanes see far more than 10 buses a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

 

Right now I believe the designated bus lanes are on Pratt, Lombard, Baltimore, and Fayette Street downtown.

Guido--The places with bus lanes see far more than 10 buses a day.

matt....yah think? Look I was lowballing because I honestly don't know (or care) how many buses there are.

So, in a roundabout way you verified what I was trying to point out. That is, as nice and eco-friendly and such is.

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few. Mass bus transit vs a handful of the bikers.

In a perfect world ....everything would be in balance. People could bike....people could take the bus....quickly.

However, in my hard cold facts mind. Yes Europe is always pointed to ....Ohhhhhh look, bike paths,,,,,buses....light rail...all nice and neat. However, most of Europe was pretty much reduced to landfill because of WW2. So starting from scratch and making things all nice and neat was easy....compared to what we in the US would have to do.

I offer the Red Line as a current example.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

matt....yah think? Look I was lowballing because I honestly don't know (or care) how many buses there are.

So, in a roundabout way you verified what I was trying to point out. That is, as nice and eco-friendly and such is.

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few. Mass bus transit vs a handful of the bikers.

In a perfect world ....everything would be in balance. People could bike....people could take the bus....quickly.

However, in my hard cold facts mind. Yes Europe is always pointed to ....Ohhhhhh look, bike paths,,,,,buses....light rail...all nice and neat. However, most of Europe was pretty much reduced to landfill because of WW2. So starting from scratch and making things all nice and neat was easy....compared to what we in the US would have to do.

I offer the Red Line as a current example.

 

Bikes are allowed to use the bus lanes. Cars aren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Bikes are allowed to use the bus lanes. Cars aren't.

Which makes perfect sense to me. Provided that the bike lanes are wide enough for buses. Hence them tearing them up??????

Or is this all just another case of who whines the loudest. Both sides have valid arguments. Which I will not reiterate unless requested as it has been already said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Which makes perfect sense to me. Provided that the bike lanes are wide enough for buses. Hence them tearing them up??????

Or is this all just another case of who whines the loudest. Both sides have valid arguments. Which I will not reiterate unless requested as it has been already said.

There are bike/bus lanes and bikes only (cycle track) lanes... The busses can't fit in the bikes only lanes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marshan Man said:

There are bike/bus lanes and bikes only (cycle track) lanes... The busses can't fit in the bikes only lanes.

Hence my question, are these 'mini' lanes being torn up to accommodate the buses? Or is it once again wasted money because one or the other party didn't scream enough early on?

Just like to understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

Hence my question, are these 'mini' lanes being torn up to accommodate the buses? Or is it once again wasted money because one or the other party didn't scream enough early on?

Just like to understand.

No. Bike lanes aren't being torn up for buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

No. Bike lanes aren't being torn up for buses.

k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

BaltimoreLink seems like somewhat of a disaster so far. I see a lot of the same route buses bunched together, following right behind one another. SMH   This is a half-arsed "system" and likely won't serve Hogan's chances of re-election well...  

 

Quote

Better connecting riders to city landmarks sounded like a good idea, he said, and time will tell if these issues are just growing pains, but some problems have to do with the method of transportation itself.

"It's a nice idea and it's a good looking logo and all that, but it's still just bus lines," he said.

And bus lines are subject to traffic, delays and the same complications they've always faced, Ebersole said, adding that the Red Line, the east-to-west light rail Hogan canceled in 2015 before creating the BaltimoreLink alternative, was more "forward-looking."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/catonsville/ph-ca-baltimore-link-20170710-story.html

Edited by Baltimatt
Fix link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

BaltimoreLink seems like somewhat of a disaster so far. I see a lot of the same route buses bunched together, following right behind one another. SMH   This is a half-arsed "system" and likely won't serve Hogan's chances of re-election well...  

 

 

 

This is always been my biggest knock against Hogan. His failure to see that mass transit really isn't a political issue. It's a common sense, infrastructure issue.

Unless they were going to do full BRT, which also was a pipe dream, this cluster was always bound to happen.

I still think it's mostly growing pains though. I feel bad for the people who got screwed by this, but hopefully it still will improve.

Edited by Pickle20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2017 at 10:36 AM, Pickle20 said:

Are there designated bus lanes downtown? Particularly for rush hour times?

I used the Circulator last Wednesday and it cruised nicely in the bus only lane on Lombard.  Granted it was only around 1pm so I don't know how many idiots drive in the bus lane during rush hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0