Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

MTA BaltimoreLink Schedules; BaltimoreLink now in effect, free rides until June 30th.

145 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2017 at 11:53 PM, Rob said:

Boy, they really screwed up some of these buses.

Used to be able to catch the #10 from Frederick Avenue in Baltimore City and it would take me all the way to Dundalk. Now I see withe the new system, I'd have to take 2 or 3 buses. This is supposed to be better????

I hear that Yugo's are selling real cheap now.....you might want to look into that....no nasty transfers and figuring out schedules and such. ;):lol:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-baltimorelink-school-20170905-story.html

In spite the recently redesigned Maryland Transit Administration bus routes, Sade Johnson of Park Heights wasn’t worried about getting on the wrong bus for the first day of school Tuesday morning.  The 10th-grader at Carver Vocational-Technical High School greeted friends as the Mondawmin Metro Station filled up with a crowd of jostling students reuniting with classmates in their school polo shirts.

“Everybody meets up,” the 16-year-old said. “There’s at least somebody who knows.”  On the first day of classes in Baltimore Tuesday, about 27,000 students who take MTA buses to school encountered Gov. Larry Hogan’s $135 million BaltimoreLink bus system overhaul, designed to make it more reliable.

MTA had an outreach to schools and students, and students had a chance to sample the regular system over the summer.

Just now, Guido2 said:

Very smart move on MTAs part.

Plus introducing the new system in summer when school was out to give it a good shakedown before school started.

Just now, Baltimatt said:

Plus introducing the new system in summer when school was out to give it a good shakedown before school started.

I am not trolling here.

It is obvious that you know the bus system very well. Is it me....but it seems that things have settled down....we are past the 'ohhhh I gotta walk a block or two....the bus used to stop in front of my house' stage. My question is ....do you feel it is better, worse or about the same?

PUUUUUHHHHHHHHLLLLEAAASSEEEE. Be neutral about this and not fog it with the 'red line'.

5 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

another plus.....see what happens when a Republican is in charge. :D

Guido--

From my limited experience with the new system, I think it did some good things with high frequency routes clearly identified.  There are some additional high frequency routes that are not part of the color-coded scheme.

The MTA went through a careful listening process and took what was a radical transformation that took buses off historic transit corridors through three drafts of bringing this new system back to corridors with exiting service.  Yes, some people like Rob lose out, but others gain.

Unfortunately, many of the same problems exist such as bus bunching, where a bus will be running late and the following bus catches up with it.

To serve the high-frequency routes during the day, it looks like there has been a cut in late evening service, with many routes, even the CityLink routes, dropping down to once and hour service.  Also, 24-hour service isn't always 24-hour service, particularly Sunday night into Monday.

Some streets with new bus service did not add enough bus stops, as I've mentioned above.

You didn't want me to mention the Red Line, but since you brought it up, let me just say the Red line is only one corridor.  I can't see it being the panacea some think it would have been, nor the development engine some hoped for.  How have the other rail lines served as magnets for development?

matt- Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down. So am I correct ..... that in general ....lin summary....ike anything there were winners and losers...but for the most part it is an improvement?

Bunching of buses; that is pretty much inevitable since buses (i think) don't have their own lanes on every route and the police tow trucks would have to be diligent in removing (not just ticketing) vehicles and associated drivers that don't seem to believe that the laws apply to them. One advantage of light rail is by default it has it own unobstructed route.

Maybe they will add more stops which shouldn't be too hard. Or people might work off some of those cheeto's and learn to walk a bit. :lol:

Mentioning the red line is fine. Derailing and whaling is what i didn't want. You addressed it just fine.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Guido

I'm heading down to Baltimore today for a few days.

I noticed there is no direct bus service from downtown to Canton Crossing, unlike the pre-BaltimoreLink days when we had the 31.

Oh, and the 7.

No improvement getting anywhere if you ask me. No buses to Towson, Columbia, White Marsh.... etc? Or what used to be a 1 bus trip now takes multiple.

Link sucks.

27 minutes ago, Rob said:

No improvement getting anywhere if you ask me. No buses to Towson, Columbia, White Marsh.... etc? Or what used to be a 1 bus trip now takes multiple.

Link sucks.

No 55 service to Towson?  I always took that from Northern Pkwy back in the day.

Red, Green, 51, 52,53, 93, 36 all go to Towson.

Brown, 56, 120 all go to White Marsh.

150, 310, and 320 serve Columbia (peak hours only).

I made it down today.  Took the Pink/Gold from Mt. Vernon to Canton Crossing, and the 21/Pink back to my hotel.  Everything was cool except that last transfer from the 21 to the Pink.  I just missed one, and then the next two were late, so I had to wait about 25 minutes for the next Pink, with two coming together.

16 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

I made it down today.  Took the Pink/Gold from Mt. Vernon to Canton Crossing, and the 21/Pink back to my hotel.  Everything was cool except that last transfer from the 21 to the Pink.  I just missed one, and then the next two were late, so I had to wait about 25 minutes for the next Pink, with two coming together.

Hey matt.....my wife is old enough to remember the old electric trolleys...and used them extensively...till they went away.

The impression I get from her was that for the most part you could get pretty much anywhere in the city and out to the counties with little or no hassle....compared to now a days. Thoughts?

Well, coverage in the Baltimore County is probably a little better now.  Service to White Marsh or circumferential service in Baltimore County?  Not then.

Damn 94 didn't come this morning and I had to wait for the next one to visit my old job.

After visiting and getting lunch and a haircut, the 94 was on time going back.  Picked up the Brown (old 15) on Pratt Street, the 30 (old 44) on Frankford Avenue, and the 54 (old 19) on Harford Road to come back to Mt. Vernon.  Not too long of a wait for any of the buses. 

Made it back home today.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:13 PM, Baltimatt said:

Red, Green, 51, 52,53, 93, 36 all go to Towson.

Brown, 56, 120 all go to White Marsh.

150, 310, and 320 serve Columbia (peak hours only).

I'm just talking no direct bus there. It would take me multiple transfers. And a long long commute.

Rob--Where's "there" and where are you coming from?