Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmore_ken

Maclin Released

47 posts in this topic

The Kansas City Chiefs announced Friday they have released wide receiver Jeremy Maclin.

The move, which came after the Chiefs wrapped up the second week of voluntary workouts, saves the Chiefs $10 million in cap space because Maclin was cut after June 1; they had just $3.5 million available before.

Maclin posted on his Twitter account shortly after the surprise move was announced.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19523880/jeremy-maclin-released-kansas-city-chiefs-two-seasons

Ozzie please tell me you're on the phone. 

signed, 

A Fan

You have to look at other teams who need wide receivers and determine their current cap situation. I think Cleveland has some injury issues already and they have tons more cap space than the Ravens. Ain't winning no bidding war against them.

Maclin's coming off a down year, so I doubt if he'll fetch much more than the one-year incentive-laden deal Victor Cruz signed with Chicago. Regardless, with a current Rule of 51 cap of just over $160 million, the Ravens would have to make some personnel moves in order to possibly sign Maclin.

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

You're squashing my dreams bro :D

Vincent Jackson is still available. And maybe they will pick someone up in the draft - ooops!

4 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Vincent Jackson is still available. And maybe they will pick someone up in the draft - ooops!

Keep digging that dagger in there :D

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Keep digging that dagger in there :D

I think Tampa is going to be the team to watch...

12 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

I think Tampa is going to be the team to watch...

Now you did it! :D

Ozzie said we are not done adding to this team and I believe him. I would love to see Maclin as a Raven

2 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

Ozzie said we are not done adding to this team and I believe him. I would love to see Maclin as a Raven

and now more than ever.

Buffalo is reportedly in preliminary talks with Maclin. 

That could spell bad news for the Ravens, if indeed they are interested in Maclin. Buffalo has the cap space to make a deal work (and Maclin figures to be in the $5 million per annum range). The Ravens currently are about $3.2 million under the cap pending the status resolution of Pitta (and Kyle Arrington, who while still in concussion protocol, cannot be released).

In order to create more space, the Ravens are going to have to restructure a contract or two, but that procedure can take time. It's unlikely the Ravens would be able to complete any such deals quickly enough in order to make a play for Maclin (assuming, of course, that they have any actual interest).

14 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Buffalo is reportedly in preliminary talks with Maclin. 

That could spell bad news for the Ravens, if indeed they are interested in Maclin. Buffalo has the cap space to make a deal work (and Maclin figures to be in the $5 million per annum range). The Ravens currently are about $3.2 million under the cap pending the status resolution of Pitta (and Kyle Arrington, who while still in concussion protocol, cannot be released).

In order to create more space, the Ravens are going to have to restructure a contract or two, but that procedure can take time. It's unlikely the Ravens would be able to complete any such deals quickly enough in order to make a play for Maclin (assuming, of course, that they have any actual interest).

To  honest I never thought the Ravens would get him. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Supposed to meet with Ravens on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

Supposed to meet with Ravens on Wednesday.

Maclin Scheduled to Visit Ravens After Bills

Yesterday, we talked about the Ravens being the best fit for free-agent wide receiver Jeremy Maclin.

Now it’s looking like more of a possibility that he actually comes to Baltimore.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Maclin is scheduled to visit the Buffalo Bills today with “plans being made” to visit the Ravens Wednesday.

Of course, Ravens fans would love for Maclin to come to Baltimore first. After all, the Ravens have a strong track record for closing deals.

“Some believe Maclin won't leave Buffalo on Tuesday without a contract,” ESPN’s Jamison Hensley wrote.

“If Maclin gets to Baltimore, the Ravens have a history of not letting highly sought-after wide receivers go elsewhere. Just ask Steve Smith Sr. and Mike Wallaceicon-article-link.gif. The Ravens reached agreements with both before they could leave the team facility for another free-agent visit.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-66-Jeremy-Maclin-Scheduled-to-Visit-Ravens-After-Bills/d0bb9858-e408-4e3d-b690-8a4313f8d37d

23 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

To  honest I never thought the Ravens would get him. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Why do you think that? I think if he makes it out of Buffalo without a contract, he is going to be a Raven. 

Just now, RavingManiac said:

Why do you think that? I think if he makes it out of Buffalo without a contract, he is going to be a Raven. 

The Cap. Buffalo can offer a better deal.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

Cleveland is also said to be interested and they have way more cap room than the Ravens. San Francisco also appears to be in the mix along with Cleveland and Buffalo. If Maclin's chasing a pay day, then he'll be a Bill, a Brown or a 49er. 

Edited by mdrunning

5 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Jets just released Eric Decker.

Intriguing possibility, but a huge injury risk seeing as how he had both rotator cuff and hip surgery last year. And again, the Ravens can't afford a bidding war should other teams show interest in Decker.

The Ravens currently have about $3 million in cap space, which could be as much as $7 million if they release Ben Watson. Trouble is, with really no proven tight ends on the roster,  I think Watson will get a chance to show if he can be productive in training camp, by which time both Maclin and Decker will have signed somewhere.

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Cleveland is also said to be interested and they have way more cap room than the Ravens. San Francisco also appears to be in the mix along with Cleveland and Buffalo. If Maclin's chasing a pay day, then he'll be a Bill, a Brown or a 49er. 

Maclin's been in the league long enough to know that if he goes to Cleveland, that's where his career ends.

7 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Bears still have money and no WR's ......

Posted (edited)

Reports are that Maclin's heading here to meet with the Ravens. Now that they've released Pitta I'd make that swap even if Pitta was healthy.

Edited by 85Knight

I bet we sign him.

If he can stay healthy he could be a solid signing for us.

37 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I bet we sign him.

If he can stay healthy he could be a solid signing for us.

Maclin leaves the Ravens without a deal- I guess he's onto Cleveland

Maclin could still sign with the Ravens, I think he is just following through with all of his options.  The problem is that the Ravens don't have the cap space to give him a deal the way the other teams can.  I would make Buffalo and Baltimore the favorites, it just depends on what Maclin is looking for.  If money is the only object than either Cleveland or SF could pay him a lot more.  Buffalo has the advantage of having one of his best friends on the team, Lesean McCoy, and they have more cap room than the Ravens.  The Ravens probably offer the best chance at possibly making the playoffs.  All depends on what Maclin is looking for.  But clearly if it is money,  the Ravens are at the disadvantage.  

On 6/6/2017 at 6:46 PM, stevez51 said:

Jets just released Eric Decker.

That's dumpster diving, imo.  Decker is injury prone and on the downside of his career.  I know the Ravens are desperate for playmakers at the WR position, but I don't see that making them much better.