KSweeley

Ocean City, MD Council passes "emergency ordinance" prohibiting topless women.

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Link: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/eastern-shore/bs-md-oc-toplessness-20170608-story.html

A battle over bare-breasted women at one of Maryland's most popular vacation spots is heating up as summer hits without a clear answer on whether women are free to be free at the beach.

With the heat approaching, authorities in Ocean City issued a memo this week directing the beach patrol not to confront bare-chested women or ask them to cover up regardless of complaints. The policy is to stand until the Maryland Attorney General's Office opines on state indecent exposure laws after a local beachgoer declared that if men can go sans tops, then women can, too.

The legal dust-up has rankled the resort town along the Eastern Shore, with officials worried seminude women will besmirch Ocean City's reputation as a family-friendly vacation destination.

"The mayor and council have no desire to make Ocean City a topless beach," said Jessica Waters, a spokeswoman for the city. "We have no plans for becoming a topless beach."

Maryland law is not entirely clear when it comes to the question of whether women are expressly prohibited from baring their breasts in public.

UPDATE: 

Edited by KSweeley

If I was going to the beach I would wear my sunglasses, hard to tell if your looking. 

Sounds like they are too busy with gun shot victims 

12 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

If I was going to the beach I would wear my sunglasses, hard to tell if your looking. 

I rarely go to OC, but if you got em out there I'm going to look. Screw the sun glasses. :)

I thought it was illegal to discriminate by gender. :P

Hi Ken

I can't really think of a solid reason why women can't drop the top, if they want to. This is like gay marriage for me. It somehow seems "not right", but I can't honestly think of how I'm negatively affected. Theres a lot of angles here. Cultural norms are important, and I'm ok with discretion and modesty, but then again, we're talking  at the beach, and I see man-boobs and survive it. And I think most of us think it's a little backward for a society to demand women wear a head scarf or burka or whatever, yet this isn't that far removed.

We do a lot of beach (OC MD in the off season only) and as anyone thats been knows, the guys are shirtless, and theres some guys that have boobs rivaling many women. (I'm talking volume, not aesthetics) 

OC screwed up with the way this was released. The beach patrol won't say anything, but they will call the cops to the beach for this?  It's either allowed or not allowed. And IMO, the should be determined locally. Not by the feds, the state or the ACLU.

6 minutes ago, pepper said:

Hi Ken

I can't really think of a solid reason why women can't drop the top, if they want to. This is like gay marriage for me. It somehow seems "not right", but I can't honestly think of how I'm negatively affected. Theres a lot of angles here. Cultural norms are important, and I'm ok with discretion and modesty, but then again, we're talking  at the beach, and I see man-boobs and survive it. And I think most of us think it's a little backward for a society to demand women wear a head scarf or burka or whatever, yet this isn't that far removed.

We do a lot of beach (OC MD in the off season only) and as anyone thats been knows, the guys are shirtless, and theres some guys that have boobs rivaling many women. (I'm talking volume, not aesthetics) 

OC screwed up with the way this was released. The beach patrol won't say anything, but they will call the cops to the beach for this?  It's either allowed or not allowed. And IMO, the should be determined locally. Not by the feds, the state or the ACLU.

Hey Pep. I can agree with most of that, but I can also see the viewpoint of those who may not want their 12 year old seeing boobies on the beach. Personally I don't see the big deal. By the time a kid is 12-15 years old, they've likely already seen some anyway. Either in person or on the internet.

28 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Hey Pep. I can agree with most of that, but I can also see the viewpoint of those who may not want their 12 year old seeing boobies on the beach. Personally I don't see the big deal. By the time a kid is 12-15 years old, they've likely already seen some anyway. Either in person or on the internet.

My son was 11 when we the kids to Europe ......

It was funny watching his reaction on the beaches in Italy :) .....

20 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I also understand that view. It's sort of why we haven't been to oc md since my kid was 5. Boobs were not an issue, but OC management feels it's obviously ok to have your kids exposed to loud vulgarity, profane tee shirts, (helpful for a kid learning to read, and for parents to explain) and if it's after dark on a summer night, much public drunkeness at the many bars right on the boardwalk.

Thats all good, but for gods sake, save us from the nasty immoral breasts.

They should do as Miami Beach, Ft. Lauderdale and many other public beaches have done.

Set aside a certain area for topless or even nude sunbathing/swimming.

That would give a real boost to the local economy!:D

I have never understood the big hoo-ha over women going topless.

Most women-- I leave myself an out here because of the way things are changing -- have two breasts, one on each side of their chests. They are part of the basic-issue female body.

They come in different sizes but are all basically the same shape -- some of the store-bought ones are rounder than the natural variety-- and have the same function.

Certainly some are more picturesque than others;  some point proudly upwards; others have a downward perspective.

But there is nothing inherently lascivious about a woman's breasts. Europeans have been seeing them on beaches, and elsewhere, for many years. Unfortunately, the United States has a long-standing dichotomy: A boob fetish combined with a prudish streak that at this point looks more antiquated every time its adherents raise their voices.

Maybe if we eliminated the "mystery" and took a more realistic view of our bodies and their functions the epidemic of sexual assaults and even harassment episodes would diminish, if not disappear..

21 minutes ago, retired said:

...Maybe if we eliminated the "mystery" and took a more realistic view of our bodies and their functions the epidemic of sexual assaults and even harassment episodes would diminish, if not disappear..

Are you freakin' kidding me??  

So, give sexual harrassers what they want??? and,

Sexual assault is VIOLENCE.

Retired, your thinking is just crazy.

29 minutes ago, retired said:

Most women-- I leave myself an out here because of the way things are changing -- have two breasts, one on each side of their chests. They are part of the basic-issue female body.

They come in different sizes but are all basically the same shape -- some of the store-bought ones are rounder than the natural variety-- and have the same function.

Certainly some are more picturesque than others;  some point proudly upwards; others have a downward perspective.

But there is nothing inherently lascivious about a woman's breasts. Europeans have been seeing them on beaches, and elsewhere, for many years. Unfortunately, the United States has a long-standing dichotomy: A boob fetish combined with a prudish streak that at this point looks more antiquated every time its adherents raise their voices.

Maybe if we eliminated the "mystery" and took a more realistic view of our bodies and their functions the epidemic of sexual assaults and even harassment episodes would diminish, if not disappear..

Most of our "moral values" were developed by the first colonists. For a long time they were christians and modesty is a virtue according to scriptures. Bathing suits have slowly gotten skimpier every generation, then topless. I would guess sooner or later when it's hot out, we'll all be walking around naked, and not attracted until we are in heat. Then we can go up to the next female we see, take a sniff or 2, and mount up!:P

Terry Thomas on bosoms (from It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World)

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, retired said:

Hi Retired

Even in the places you mention, the cultural directive is beach only. You don't see a lot of topless women in the urban cities or burbs.I also think the Europeans have a boob fetish same as we do, judging from fashion and film.

With respect, I don't agree with your ideas on assault or harassment, and I have to admit, maybe I'm old school, but I like that sexual mystery, (I mean I did) 

If a naked woman can't safely pass you on the street, the problem is not the naked woman.

Edited by pepper

Pink, do I take it you would prefer ankle to neck bathing costumes? Take away the "mystery" and harassers lose their motivation to harass. Besides, these days harassing can get you whacked upside the head.

Hi Pepper, I agree about the Europeans, however I don't think they are "afraid" of their bodies. They have a much more "let it all hang out" attitude than we do in the US, where we are still suffering a hangover from Puritan days.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, retired said:

Pink, do I take it you would prefer ankle to neck bathing costumes? Take away the "mystery" and harassers lose their motivation to harass. Besides, these days harassing can get you whacked upside the head.

Hi Pepper, I agree about the Europeans, however I don't think they are "afraid" of their bodies. They have a much more "let it all hang out" attitude than we do in the US, where we are still suffering a hangover from Puritan days.

Don't be ridiculous about the swimsuits. But harrassers will harrass because that is their personality defect. Plus, you included sexual assault in your fix-all solution, and sexual assault is about violence. You have twisted logic. 

Edited by PinkFlamingo

What a silly over reaction. 

I predict that a nearby beach will pass an ordinance

allowing topless sunbathing. Then watch OC"s crowds

decrease.

Demo, No it's not. There are parents/families that I'm sure will not visit or may have even threatened to cancel plans because of that issue. While some don't care at all, I think more do care that they're post-pubescent boys will be on the beach with topless women. Makes for awkward conversations at the very least  

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, DaJellyBelly said:

I predict that a nearby beach will pass an ordinance

allowing topless sunbathing. Then watch OC"s crowds

decrease.

What "nearby" beach would that be?

Edited by PinkFlamingo

I am convinced this story is to distract from the violence that has been occurring in O.C.

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Demo, No it's not. There are parents/families that I'm sure will not visit or may have even threatened to cancel plans because of that issue. While some don't care at all, I think more do care that they're post-pubescent boys will be on the beach with topless women. Makes for awkward conversations at the very least  

I have been in the English Gardens in Munich, where nude sunbathing is allowed, and it takes place in the presence of families with children of all ages. I have also been on beaches in France and Italy where topless women are pretty much everywhere. The only people having awkward conversations in either case were American tourists. American prudishness is actually quite amusing to most Europeans that I know. :D