Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dshawg1

I Guess DD should have invested some $ in starting pitching, Huh?

29 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

His record with pitching moves during his time here has been nothing short of a disaster.

Yep. Pretty much doing the opposite would have been more effective.

15 hours ago, weird-O said:

I'm missing the connection. MLB isn't going to shut down the season for a month (two weeks of practice and two weeks of games), so that its stars can go play for their countries. And non-professional Olympic teams aren't going to draw the same excitement as the WBC teams. 

The impetus for creating the WBC was the removal of baseball from the Summer Games in 2006. It's co-sponsored by MLB and the Players Association, and it's been a loser revenue-wise since its inception. MLB would love for major leaguers to commit to the Olympics, particularly since it attracts much bigger sponsors and they wouldn't be on the hook financially. The players, unfortunately, currently aren't too receptive to adding another two weeks to an already long season.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

The impetus for creating the WBC was the removal of baseball from the Summer Games in 2006. It's co-sponsored by MLB and the Players Association, and it's been a loser revenue-wise since its inception. MLB would love for major leaguers to commit to the Olympics, particularly since it attracts much bigger sponsors and they wouldn't be on the hook financially. The players, unfortunately, currently aren't too receptive to adding another two weeks to an already long season.

Thanks for the explanation. So they would put the season on hold. I have to side with the players on that. Would it only be 2 weeks. Wouldn't they need time to practice as a team? I understand that the players will be in mid-season form, but I would think they would need at least a little time to come together as a team.   

* these are rhetorical questions

Edited by weird-O

On 6/13/2017 at 7:45 AM, weird-O said:

Thanks for the explanation. So they would put the season on hold. I have to side with the players on that. Would it only be 2 weeks. Wouldn't they need time to practice as a team? I understand that the players will be in mid-season form, but I would think they would need at least a little time to come together as a team.   

* these are rhetorical questions

I like the WBC.... i guess im in the minority