Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Is it time for Big Dan to blow it up & rebuild?

90 posts in this topic

I recognize that the 2017 season isn't over. Still, I'm going to mention 2018, because that is the last year of the O's window of contention. After '18 the GM, Manger and several players are potentially gone.

The ray of light, is that UJ and Miley are off the books. Tillman too, and he isn't making a case for an extension. There's lots of room to make a massive improvement to the component of the team, that has always been under funded. If they sign the three best starting pitchers of the FA class, that will go a long way toward making an earnest effort to win it all. There are a few positional roster spots that will be opened next year. If they take a minute, stop huffing from the Home Run ether jar, and add a couple hitters that are of a different type, they could be legit.

And if it doesn't work out, at least we can say they really tried. Also, a top shelf starting rotation makes it easier to construct the new line up for 2019.    

17 hours ago, pitbull said:

Havent heard much, in fact anything, from the Front Office during this whole 10-25 stretch (or whatever it is).

Makes me wonder if Big Dan is on the Hot Seat.

Or maybe he's working. :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Or maybe he's working. :rolleyes:

Heard some of the interview before the draft. He said they wanted a college pitcher in first round. They drafted a HS pitcher. So at least he's consistent in saying what he wants and then going out and doing the complete opposite of that.

Edited by Pickle20

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Heard some of the interview before the draft. He said they wanted a college pitcher in first round. They drafted a HS pitcher. So at least he's consistent in saying what he wants and then going out and doing the complete opposite of that.

Ain't that the truth. 

I don't expect full disclosure from managers or execs. But the idea that DD targeted pitching, in the first round, and then drafted a pitcher, is a bit troubling. Because it opens the door to the possibility that he and his staff don't select the best player available. Instead, they draft according to organizational need. I hope that isn't his approach. 

Edited by weird-O

2 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Ain't that the truth. 

I don't expect full disclosure from managers or execs. But the idea that DD targeted pitching, in the first round, and then drafted a pitcher, is a bit troubling. Because it opens the door to the possibility that he and his staff don't select the best player available. Instead, they draft according to organizational need. I hope that isn't his approach. 

From all reports I've read they got the BPA and he was projected to go a few picks before we got him. No qualms with the selection but the name "DL" almost make it a certainty he gets hurt somewhere along the way to the majors.

Before you blow the team up, which is needed, you need to find a scouting department that can judge real talent. If they continue with this poor excuse of a scouting department, this team will go back to what they were before quickly. Angeloser should've never given Chris(strikeout) Davis that money. He should of let him walk, and I bet Davis would've come back begging at a much lower price because nobody in their right mind was going to pay his useless butt. Only Angeloser does things like that.

10 minutes ago, blazeon32 said:

Before you blow the team up, which is needed, you need to find a scouting department that can judge real talent. If they continue with this poor excuse of a scouting department, this team will go back to what they were before quickly. Angeloser should've never given Chris(strikeout) Davis that money. He should of let him walk, and I bet Davis would've come back begging at a much lower price because nobody in their right mind was going to pay his useless butt. Only Angeloser does things like that.

Yeah the Davis deal is an absolute back breaker for this team.  Buck was all in on Davis too.  Then they sign Trumbo on top of it when they had Mancini ready to go.  Head scratcher.

Unfortunately, like most of us have been saying, Big Dan is toast.

11 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

From all reports I've read they got the BPA and he was projected to go a few picks before we got him. No qualms with the selection but the name "DL" almost make it a certainty he gets hurt somewhere along the way to the majors.

That's what I've heard as well. And if you're going to take a pitcher with your first pick, particularly if it comes outside the top 20, a high school pitcher is usually a better bet because their ceiling tends to be higher. 

Only two teams in the AL have worse records!!!

It is time to fire this buffoon!

I'm ready to see a roster full of players I've never seen before.  The best way to rebuild is to absolutely suck for a few years, grab can't miss guys (Strasburg, Harper, Correa, etc.) and start over from scratch.  Go full bore into the rebuild and commit to it.

3 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

I'm ready to see a roster full of players I've never seen before.  The best way to rebuild is to absolutely suck for a few years, grab can't miss guys (Strasburg, Harper, Correa, etc.) and start over from scratch.  Go full bore into the rebuild and commit to it.

Im with you on this one if they are going to rebuild do it right 

However i don't think we have the right people in place to do so 

On 6/16/2017 at 1:25 PM, weird-O said:

Ain't that the truth. 

He can draft all the pitchers he wants but it's painfully obvious to anyone following this team for years that this organization has no clue on how to develop one.  If they can last a couple of years without getting Tommy John surgery, they offer very little to a big league staff.  They can't throw strikes, pile up a ton of pitches quickly, give up a boatload of homeruns in a band box stadium and are clueless as far as pitching acumen.  Basically, they're not prepared in the least to face big league hitters. If anything needs to be blown up, it's the instructional system of the organization's young pitchers.  

2 hours ago, jamesdean said:

He can draft all the pitchers he wants but it's painfully obvious to anyone following this team for years that this organization has no clue on how to develop one.  If they can last a couple of years without getting Tommy John surgery, they offer very little to a big league staff.  They can't throw strikes, pile up a ton of pitches quickly, give up a boatload of homeruns in a band box stadium and are clueless as far as pitching acumen.  Basically, they're not prepared in the least to face big league hitters. If anything needs to be blown up, it's the instructional system of the organization's young pitchers.  

You nailed it.

2 hours ago, jamesdean said:

I've been beating that drum for a decade.