16 posts in this topic

We've been outscored in this series.

4-17 in last 21 road games

27 minutes ago, Rob said:

4-17 in last 21 road games

That's the far more disturbing stat.

1 hour ago, mdrunning said:

That's the far more disturbing stat.

Is It still too early to be worried? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, 85Knight said:

Is It still too early to be worried? I don't think so.

Of course it isn't. We're more than a third of the way into the season, which hardly qualifies as "early."

It's never a good time, however, to panic and start making changes based on one disastrous weekend. Those types of moves could end hurting far longer than a three-game butt-kicking by the Yankees ever could.

9-20 since being a season high 12 games over .500 at 22-10.

Posted (edited)

Other than a brief competitive one-week stretch (capped by a 2 game sweep of the Pirates), this team has been an embarrassment for a month and a half.

And the Front Office continues to do NOTHING to improve it.

Since the Brain Trust does nothing, might be time for a Firesale.

Edited by pitbull

Just now, pitbull said:

Other than a brief competitive one-week stretch (capped by a 2 game sweep of the Pirates), this team has been an embarrassment for a month and a half.

And the Front Office continues to do NOTHING to improve it.

Since the Brain Trust does nothing, might be time for a Firesale.

I thought they were supposed to sell. Which is it?

?????

Simply pointing out a fact (that is non-debatable), the Front Office has done NOTHING to IMPROVE the team.

Unless you think Edwin Jackson and that new backup infielder classify as improvements. I know you don't.

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Of course it isn't. We're more than a third of the way into the season, which hardly qualifies as "early."

It's never a good time, however, to panic and start making changes based on one disastrous weekend. Those types of moves could end hurting far longer than a three-game butt-kicking by the Yankees ever could.

Sometimes it's easier to say "you were right." Like I said then, all we could hope is that it was just a blip on the radar but the way we were playing shouldn't have been downplayed or ignored. I get the homerism but at some point you have to call it like you see it. Some of us just saw it sooner than others.

Posted (edited)

Two ships passing in the night. The Yankees return to dominance, the Orioles returning to the cellar of the AL East. This weekend couldn't have illustrated that inevitable truth any better.

Just one game up on Toronto for last place.

Edited by Pickle20

Opponents are hitting .277 against Orioles pitching, DEAD LAST in the major leagues.

Not that it means much or has much reference to this year, but in the O's wire-to-wire 1997 season, in mid September, they lost 3 of 4 to the Yankees by a combined 36-15. In fact, after scything through the league for the first five months, the O's were pretty mediocre in September. It was their only losing month and they were generously outscored by the teams they played. Might have been a harbinger for the disappointing post season.

25 minutes ago, catatonia said:

Not that it means much or has much reference to this year, but in the O's wire-to-wire 1997 season, in mid September, they lost 3 of 4 to the Yankees by a combined 36-15. In fact, after scything through the league for the first five months, the O's were pretty mediocre in September. It was their only losing month and they were generously outscored by the teams they played. Might have been a harbinger for the disappointing post season.

Davey Johnson was resting everyone in preparation for the post-season.

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, 85Knight said:

Sometimes it's easier to say "you were right." Like I said then, all we could hope is that it was just a blip on the radar but the way we were playing shouldn't have been downplayed or ignored. I get the homerism but at some point you have to call it like you see it. Some of us just saw it sooner than others.

I don't see what I posted being construed as homerism, but whatever. The Orioles suck on the road (10 in a row now and counting), and whether you lose by 1 or 10, the road is where you play half your games

I honestly wasn't sure if the debacle in New York was due more to the Orioles' struggles or the fact that the Yankees are on fire (particularly when they play at Yankee Stadium) right now. After all, these were the same two teams which met less than two weeks before in Camden Yards and the Orioles took two of three. The Yankees couldn't possibly have improved that much in that short a span of time.

This next stretch of 23 games (22 after the loss to the ChiSox on Monday) feature 13 against teams currently with losing records and another 10 against teams just two games or less over. 500. If we don't do well (and we didn't get off to such a hot start) and go, say, 14-9 or 13-10 during this time, then I think it's obvious this team is not going to compete this year. I don't know how to fix the starting pitching, but the schedule does afford an opportunity for the Orioles to show they're still a competitive team for this year. If they can't do that, then it's time to start thinking about next year. I certainly hope the front office doesn't delude itself into thinking this team can contend if we're six or seven games out of the second wildcard by the All-Star Break. 

Edited by mdrunning