Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Aaron Judge hits longest HR since tracking began

18 posts in this topic

Wladimir Balentien. That guy was a 'miss' prospect here stateside, but didn't he destroy the NPL a few years ago, to the tune of something like 60 HR?

13 hours ago, EnochRoot said:

Wladimir Balentien. That guy was a 'miss' prospect here stateside, but didn't he destroy the NPL a few years ago, to the tune of something like 60 HR?

Juiced ball

No one saw Judge coming. No one. Almost all the MLB teams passed on him before the Yankees had a chance to draft him

AJC:

Judge was the 32nd overall pick of the 2013 draft, meaning that 31 times an MLB team decided to take someone else ahead of the 6-foot-7 Fresno State slugger.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/leadoff-who-did-braves-draft-one-pick-ahead-aaron-judge/KlzSJCWVSWPG2o6UgNkGNL/

Posted (edited)

I guess I'm just still not that excited about him.  Don't get me wrong - he's got worlds of power and he's having a crazy good season.  But there haven't been that many hitters as big as he is who have had sustained success.  His strike zone is enormous, and he struck out a million times in the minors.  Do we really believe that he's fixed all the holes in his swing in an offseason?

Again, I'm not trying to naysay, and I'd be saying the same thing if he were an Oriole.  He seems like a nice kid with a good attitude and he's having a historic rookie year, but I'm still not sold he's the future all-time great that people want to make him already.  Give major league pitchers a year to watch his tape and they will make him look human again.  It happens to everyone.

If he can adjust to their adjustments, then we can start talking about him being one of the best in baseball.  He's just not there yet for me.

Edited by Slidemaster

4 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

I guess I'm just still not that excited about him.  Don't get me wrong - he's got worlds of power and he's having a crazy good season.  But there haven't been that many hitters as big as he is who have had sustained success.  His strike zone is enormous, and he struck out a million times in the minors.  Do we really believe that he's fixed all the holes in his swing in an offseason?

Again, I'm not trying to naysay, and I'd be saying the same thing if he were an Oriole.  He seems like a nice kid with a good attitude and he's having a historic rookie year, but I'm still not sold he's the future all-time great that people want to make him already.  Give major league pitchers a year to watch his tape and they will make him look human again.  It happens to everyone.

If he can adjust to their adjustments, then we can start talking about him being one of the best in baseball.  He's just not there yet for me.

He's hitting .330 at the AS break. I think if he wasn't a legit hitter, the league would've figured him out by now. 

This isn't to say they won't eventually figure him out. But for now, he clearly looks like a Five Tool player. 

I expected Judge to be a .270 BA 40+ Homer guy. I'll still be happy if he finishes the season with numbers like that. But being a legit MVP contender as a rookie is pretty awesome. 

Well, if you try to spell Vladimir with a W, you're bound to flame out...

5 hours ago, soulflower said:

He's hitting .330 at the AS break. I think if he wasn't a legit hitter, the league would've figured him out by now. 

This isn't to say they won't eventually figure him out. But for now, he clearly looks like a Five Tool player. 

I expected Judge to be a .270 BA 40+ Homer guy. I'll still be happy if he finishes the season with numbers like that. But being a legit MVP contender as a rookie is pretty awesome. 

Lots of guys have had blistering half seasons and never come back to those numbers.  The league doesn't really get a chance to figure out a hitter until the off-season.  You could very well be right, but he's gotta do it for more than 3 months and change before I start to think he's changed his skillset.

Judge is doing some amazing things as a rookie, but I agree that the jury is still out.

The history of exceptionally tall players having sustained success is not very good. (I guess Dave Winfield, who stood around 6-6 or 6-7, is the exception.) It's also curious that Judge didn't make it to the majors until the age of 25. I know he was drafted out of college, but most great ballplayers break in a few years before that. I think what should be cause for concern is Judge's 28 percent strikeout rate. Very few ballplayers have managed to sustain high levels of production while on pace to strike out over 200 times. 

I think Judge is going to be seeing more and more high heat as the season goes on. Big swingers tend to have trouble catching up to those pitches. Thing is, with Judge being so tall, pitchers are going to have to adjust to throwing the ball higher than they would to an average-sized man. Judge reminds me somewhat of Frank Howard, although Judge is a much better athlete overall. He certainly appears to have the capacity to adjust when he has to, but time will tell. 

I love the avatar Soul Flower. RIP Charlie Murphy and Prince.

43 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

I love the avatar Soul Flower. RIP Charlie Murphy and Prince.

Thanks!

Last night was one of the most entertaining HR Derbys I've seen in several years

Last night reminded me why I quit watching it.  Pittbull? Fireball?   A DJ?  Gushing TV announcers.  Dragged on too long.  Heck, before it was even winding down most of the on-field players/families had bailed on it.

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, Norman said:

Last night reminded me why I quit watching it.  Pittbull? Fireball?   A DJ?  Gushing TV announcers.  Dragged on too long.  Heck, before it was even winding down most of the on-field players/families had bailed on it.

The first round was the best. 

Everyone except Judge, Bellinger, and Sano seemed to run out of gas after the first round

Edited by soulflower

I didn't like the pace. Several times, pitches were thrown while the previous ball was still in the air. I thought ball had to land before next pitch was thrown.

16 minutes ago, Rob said:

I didn't like the pace. Several times, pitches were thrown while the previous ball was still in the air. I thought ball had to land before next pitch was thrown.

That's how it was supposed to be...I assumed it was to protect people from getting hit by balls when they weren't looking.