Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dshawg1

2017 MLB Draft Thread

31 posts in this topic

Anyone watching tonight?

Who do we take at 21?

If his name is Hobgood, I am no longer an Orioles fan:) JK

I predict they'll take a pitcher who will come highly touted and fizzle spectacularly.

Four picks in the top one hundred... I'm not sure that's going to replenish the farm

Trumbo cost as pick (as most of your know). They never took Macini seriously. 

12 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

How?

That's a terrific thing the Yankees did. Hats off to them. And I hate the Yankees, but very classy. Much respect.,

Good pick for us. We have such a great track record in developing pitching:)...this is a lock!

If he turns out to be a stud, we can trade him to the Cubs!

We have a player now who's name is DL?

Great.  What could possibly go wrong?

Just now, Slidemaster said:

We have a player now who's name is DL?

Great.  What could possibly go wrong?

At least it isn't TJ:)

Just now, bleedingorangeandblack said:

How did he cost us a pick? I missed that

Do you follow baseball? Serious question. 

1 minute ago, dshawg1 said:

Do you follow baseball? Serious question. 

Very much so hence the reason I asked

Posted (edited)

I have trouble thinking of Trumbo as having "cost" the O's a draft pick.  Signing him just didn't give them an extra pick.  Maybe that's a fine line, but it isn't the same as signing someone off the FA market and giving up your 1st rounder to do so.

Edited by Slidemaster

Just now, Slidemaster said:

I habe trouble thinking of Trumbo as having "cost" the O's a draft pick.  Signing him just didn't give them an extra pick.  Maybe that's a fine line, but it isn't the same as signing someone off the FA market and giving up your 1st rounder to do so.

Hence the question 

thanks slide I know you follow baseball 😉

Here is what a writer at Sports Illustrated had to say about Mr. Hall.

BALTIMORE ORIOLES
D.L. HALL, LHP
6'0", 180 LBS
VALDOSTA (GA.) HIGH SCHOOL

Hall is one of three high school southpaws who may be chosen in the first round of this year’s draft, along with McKenzie Gore and Trevor Rogers. Hall’s mid to high 70’s curve is one of the best in this entire draft class. His fastball sits in the low 90’s and can touch 95.

In his build, stuff and pitching mechanics, Hall screams Cliff Lee. Like Lee, Hall gets terrific lower half power by driving off a severely bent back leg and tilts his upper body backward in mid-delivery. His command is negatively affected by his stiff legged, “spin off” finish; Lee maintained pitch control by staying low, driving forward and finishing with his head and chest out over his front foot.

Is he going to wind up being another Ustinko?? :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, DaJellyBelly said:

Here is what a writer at Sports Illustrated had to say about Mr. Hall.

BALTIMORE ORIOLES
D.L. HALL, LHP
6'0", 180 LBS
VALDOSTA (GA.) HIGH SCHOOL

Hall is one of three high school southpaws who may be chosen in the first round of this year’s draft, along with McKenzie Gore and Trevor Rogers. Hall’s mid to high 70’s curve is one of the best in this entire draft class. His fastball sits in the low 90’s and can touch 95.

In his build, stuff and pitching mechanics, Hall screams Cliff Lee. Like Lee, Hall gets terrific lower half power by driving off a severely bent back leg and tilts his upper body backward in mid-delivery. His command is negatively affected by his stiff legged, “spin off” finish; Lee maintained pitch control by staying low, driving forward and finishing with his head and chest out over his front foot.

Is he going to wind up being another Ustinko?? :rolleyes:

He's going to FSU i don't see him signing 

3 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

He's going to FSU i don't see him signing 

Does that mean the first round pick is wasted?

2 minutes ago, DaJellyBelly said:

Does that mean the first round pick is wasted?

Honestly does it matter developing a pitcher is something we can't seem to do as an orginaztion 

Not a big fan of their second pick. Hall was projected at 99 by BA, we took him at 60. Anytime I hear "raw and toolsy" I k ow it's a bad pick.

1 hour ago, Slidemaster said:

I have trouble thinking of Trumbo as having "cost" the O's a draft pick.  Signing him just didn't give them an extra pick.  Maybe that's a fine line, but it isn't the same as signing someone off the FA market and giving up your 1st rounder to do so.

If we didn't sign Trumbo, we would have had another comp pick in the first round. That's a lost pick. 

3 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

If we didn't sign Trumbo, we would have had another comp pick in the first round. That's a lost pick. 

Yes, but it would have been an extra pick.  I guess I think of it like a bonus we didn't get.

6 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

So did Davis. think about it. Your pitching sucks. You don't have a leadoff hitter. Your outfield defense is questionable. You have two guys in the minors with promise and the ability to play first base (Mancini and Walker). What do you do?

Overpay for a slugging first baseman who strikes out a lot. Release a decent first base prospect for nothing. Force another first base prospect to learn the outfield and dh. And leave your pitching staff virtually untouched.