Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

The "Against Better Judgement I'm Going to Watch" Game Thread - O's v Sox 6/12

31 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, pitbull said:

I agree with you about firing DD

I seriously wonder if Buck hasn't lost the clubhouse. Too many guys are underperforming

30 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

I seriously wonder if Buck hasn't lost the clubhouse. Too many guys are underperforming

I don't think that's the case. Here's why, many of those guys are here because of Buck. I don't think a player can look at what he's done here, and spit on him because of one really bad season. Plus, there's no one part of the team to point the finger at. The offense is anemic, the starting rotation can't get out of the 3rd inning (aside from Bundy). And the BP is giving up the few leads they manage to get. Which is kind of understandable, given that they have to cover 7 innings of each game.   

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

This season has descended into comedy.

Absolutely. The O's are simply not a good team right now. And even IF that were to MIRACULOUSLY change by the All Star break, the hole the CURRENT O's are digging is going to be impossible to climb out of. Not this year. (And beyond that who knows.) So anyone saying: "Well, we can HOPE, can't we?" Sure, you can do whatever you want. But hope isn't going to fix what's wrong with the team now, in July, in September, and/or in October. It's done for 2017, folks. Done.

And the more I think about it the game against the CWS is the perfect example of the season and of what I'm saying. The O's dug a hole so big that even a half-way decent rally wasn't enough to overcome the deficit. A few runs given up here by UJ dug the hole just big enough to make it unfillable. And the exact same strike out pitch to Adam Jones keeps a bigger rally from taking place. It is deja vu all over again. And again. And again.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

I follow the rule of thumb that any team is in contention, if they're within 5 games of first place at the AS break. 

I'm not going to bog down the conversation with comments like, "teams have come back from worse situations to" The only thing I can do is reiterate OCF's comment, it will take a really surprising turn around, to salvage this season. My concern is that Buck will inspire this team to play good enough to falsely resemble a playoff contender, like they did in 2015. That will just get DD's gears turning, and he'll make another stupid Davies for Parra trade. Because he isn't going to sacrifice today, just to save prospects that he won't be around to see mature into contributing players for future O's teams.  

7 hours ago, weird-O said:

I hate to jump the gun here. But this season already feels like the 2000's, when June meant that it was time to turn our attention to the Ravens, because the O's had given us all they had to offer, for the summer. 

I think it was 2 weeks ago that we had our discussion where I said it would look ugly, but give it a month to shake out (Mostly talking about Tillman returning). Yeah, it may already be too late for all that. 

They gave us a great April though. -_-

This is particularly sad b/c the current team has some talented players, at least much more so than the dark ages of the early 2000's.  

4 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

This is particularly sad b/c the current team has some talented players, at least much more so than the dark ages of the early 2000's.  

True but without pitching, you aren't going anywhere.  And this staff is scary bad.