Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaJellyBelly

The Orioles' Power Outage

15 posts in this topic

Buck and DD are signed through next season. And yes, the friction has been public knowledge for a few years. Essentially, they have never worked together, smoothly, because they have some very different baseball philosophies. When the O's were searching for a GM, and signed DD, there was talk in the warehouse that Buck would take the job. Pete asked him if he wanted the job, then he could hire his own replacement. Buck said he preferred being a field manager. In Oct of 2018, it will have been 6 years since Buck made that decision. It's possible that he would now welcome the chance to remove the daily travel from his job. But Buck's fingerprints are on this team, every bit as much as DD's, so I'm not sure that I have the same confidence in Buck's ability to build a WS champion, as I did a few years ago. He's just as in love with power hitters as DD is. That seems to be where their mutual philosophies intersect.  

Live and die by the HR.

Everyone and their mother knew this team needed more OBP. 

OBP is nice, but it takes a balanced line up. This team needs about 7 more situational hitters. I've seen several writers congratulate O's management for continuing Weaver's famous "two bloops and a blast" approach. And that confuses me, because it's not what the DD/Buck O's have ever done. It's been solo blast, solo blast, solo blast, then lose 6 games because they didn't hit a bunch of solo dingers. 

Last season, I commented that Manny is falling in love with his power, and he seemed a less complete hitter, than the years before. I wasn't criticized for that comment, but everyone who responded, was confused by it. Because Manny was having a statistically better year than he did in 2015. Look at those two seasons now, and you see how he trended. His OBP dropped, and his SOs spiked to a career high. Meanwhile, he only had 2 more HRs and 10 more RBI than 2015. Now he's struggling and his solution is to swing harder. He's on pace to smash his season high SO total, and his OBP is .50 points off from last year.

Mancini looks good right now. He's hitting to all fields, working the count, and has an above avg OBP. It won't last, because this team has a culture trying to kill every pitch. It won't be long before he's infected, and starts flailing away at junk in the dirt.    

Checking out Nats games really makes one jealous 

I love that Trea Turner kid 

18 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Checking out Nats games really makes one jealous 

I love that Trea Turner kid 

If they had better announcers I might watch more of their games.

8 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

If they had better announcers I might watch more of their games.

I know our guys stink but they really make the game unbearable to watch 

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

"SEE- YOU- LATER...."  Even their play by play guy has to make the same homerun every frickin time.  Is this the new thing in baseball announcing?  Beyond irritating. 

1 minute ago, jamesdean said:

"SEE- YOU- LATER...."  Even their play by play guy has to make the same homerun every frickin time.  Is this the new thing in baseball announcing?  Beyond irritating. 

I will now be drinking through every os game since summer has now started in my household

Please excuse all typos lol

9 hours ago, weird-O said:

Mancini looks good right now. He's hitting to all fields, working the count, and has an above avg OBP. It won't last, because this team has a culture trying to kill every pitch. It won't be long before he's infected, and starts flailing away at junk in the dirt.    

We can only hope. I've seen better at bats from Jones this year and it seems like Schoop is making progress.

12 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

I will now be drinking through every os game since summer has now started in my household

Please excuse all typos lol

Why don't you create a drinking game on how many times Gary Thorne can say "GOODBYE, HOMERUN!!"  And if Jim Hunter's announcing..."THAT BALL IS GONE!!" Invite some buddies over and have a blast!  That way you can ignore the ineptitude of the team. (LOL) 

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

Why don't you create a drinking game on how many times Gary Thorne can say "GOODBYE, HOMERUN!!"  And if Jim Hunter's announcing..."THAT BALL IS GONE!!" Invite some buddies over and have a blast!  That way you can ignore the ineptitude of the team. (LOL) 

Lol my liver would walk out on me 

14 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Palmer and Thorne are great. Probably among the best duo in baseball. Hunter and Bordick are probably amongst the worst.

Posted (edited)

It's hands down been the most consistently frustrating part of watching this team to me in recent years, as crazy as that sounds.  I'll always preface it with saying, it's been way more interesting watching them contend and come up short than it was watching them basically eliminated by July 1st for 14 straight years.  When they stunk all around, folks would argue at times about needing more pitching or more hitting, as if one alone would solve all their problems.  You score more runs, you'll start winning more poorly pitched games too.  They needed both to be better.

Problem is, this "explosive" HR-or-nothing offense is inherently built to wow and amaze people for stretches of time, and then in turn go in to prolonged funks that lead to losing streaks.  A couple years back a season-destroying losing streak started right around the time they get swept at home by the Twins (sound familiar), and THAT time they didn't even pitch all that poorly, they just stopped hitting HRs... therefore they stopped scoring.  And they're so insanely stubborn about it, I can't stand it.  Their answer to struggling in the runs column is always, swing up more, and swing harder.  And no matter how many games they manage to win in the regular season, you typically get to the playoffs and encounter a more complete pitching staff who can throw 3 or 4 starters at you that can: hit their spots, change speeds, and keep you off balance.  That's the Achilles heel of any all-or-nothing offense.  The ball carries a little less in October, the opponent can line up a rested pitching staff, and can usually throw several guys at you that won't just be counting on their fastball to win the game.   A Davis or Trumbo July HR 3 rows deep to LC winds up a warning track out in October.  Meanwhile, the other team's bases clearing double to the gap is still a bases clearing double to the gap.

My guess is that at some point soon, they start hitting 2 to 5 HRs a night again for a week or so... and it'll look like the cold stretch was just a thing of the past.  Until the next one comes along.

Edited by Ravens2006

16 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

It's hands down been the most consistently frustrating part of watching this team to me in recent years, as crazy as that sounds.  I'll always preface it with saying, it's been way more interesting watching them contend and come up short than it was watching them basically eliminated by July 1st for 14 straight years.  When they stunk all around, folks would argue at times about needing more pitching or more hitting, as if one alone would solve all their problems.  You score more runs, you'll start winning more poorly pitched games too.  They needed both to be better.

Problem is, this "explosive" HR-or-nothing offense is inherently built to wow and amaze people for stretches of time, and then in turn go in to prolonged funks that lead to losing streaks.  A couple years back a season-destroying losing streak started right around the time they get swept at home by the Twins (sound familiar), and THAT time they didn't even pitch all that poorly, they just stopped hitting HRs... therefore they stopped scoring.  And they're so insanely stubborn about it, I can't stand it.  Their answer to struggling in the runs column is always, swing up more, and swing harder.  And no matter how many games they manage to win in the regular season, you typically get to the playoffs and encounter a more complete pitching staff who can throw 3 or 4 starters at you that can: hit their spots, change speeds, and keep you off balance.  That's the Achilles heel of any all-or-nothing offense.  The ball carries a little less in October, the opponent can line up a rested pitching staff, and can usually throw several guys at you that won't just be counting on their fastball to win the game.   A Davis or Trumbo July HR 3 rows deep to LC winds up a warning track out in October.  Meanwhile, the other team's bases clearing double to the gap is still a bases clearing double to the gap.

My guess is that at some point soon, they start hitting 2 to 5 HRs a night again for a week or so... and it'll look like the cold stretch was just a thing of the past.  Until the next one comes along.

Yep