Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Eight people were shot, six fatally in five separate shooting incidents from Monday night through Tuesday morning.

48 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, naive said:

I was at Soundstage on Tuesday and the Arena last night. Survived both nights. Had a great time.

Stay hunkered down in your bunker.

WOW!!!!! 

You just might be the bravest person in the whole state!  Soundstage and everything!!!

18 minutes ago, naive said:

Not brave at all. I'm down there all the time, and honestly, I did not see one cop while walking to and from the venues.

Obviously, I don't know how much you walked but that is strange you didn't see on patrol car or on foot. I don't have a 'photographic' memory but I am pretty sure I always see at least one. And that was way before all hell broke loose in BC.

Strange.

31 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Obviously, I don't know how much you walked but that is strange you didn't see on patrol car or on foot. I don't have a 'photographic' memory but I am pretty sure I always see at least one. And that was way before all hell broke loose in BC.

Strange.

Unbelievable strange since every uniformed cop in the city has been working mandatory 12 hour days since Tuesday, that you wouldn't see one cop at the most popular venues in town.

45 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

WOW!!!!! 

You just might be the bravest person in the whole state!  Soundstage and everything!!!

Not brave at all, just like doing things. I'll be back downtown this weekend for the O's and dinner in Little Italy. 

Do you think you may actually go outside this weekend, or simply stay heavily armed in your fortress waiting for the bad guys to come?

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Strange.

Too many other people down there. Packed with people, actually.   Unless they were wearing plain clothes, I did not see, or notice them. Granted, I was not looking for any.

Edit: A police car did pass us last night as I was driving into the parking garage 2 blocks from the arena.

Edited by naive

21 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Unbelievable strange since every uniformed cop in the city has been working mandatory 12 hour days since Tuesday, that you wouldn't see one cop at the most popular venues in town.

Yeah.  Now naïve is bragging about going to see the Orioles play too.  No cops down there either, I suppose. 

12 minutes ago, naive said:

Not brave at all, just like doing things. I'll be back downtown this weekend for the O's and dinner in Little Italy. 

Do you think you may actually go outside this weekend, or simply stay heavily armed in your fortress waiting for the bad guys to come?

I remained in my bunker you keep referring to in your posts.

Location of said bunker: In your head and rent free.

1 minute ago, Ode2Joy said:

Yeah.  Now naïve is bragging about going to see the Orioles play too.  No cops down there either, I suppose. 

That dog doesn't hunt because I go to O's games fairly frequently and I will see a cop on every block from inner harbor to the ball park.

Posted (edited)

Always see cops at O's games. They direct traffic etc.

I said I did not see any the last 2 nights. They certainly weren't directing the traffic getting into the arena. It was nuts last night coming off of 395. Lots of people downtown.

Edited by naive

2 hours ago, naive said:

Too many other people down there. Packed with people, actually.   Unless they were wearing plain clothes, I did not see, or notice them. Granted, I was not looking for any.

Edit: A police car did pass us last night as I was driving into the parking garage 2 blocks from the arena.

Still that isn't very reassuring. So much for a 'heavy' presence.

18 hours ago, naive said:

In my case hitting, 65 soon, I don't go anywhere 'cept to Work every day, Yes Still. I'll retire when they hit me in the face with the Shovel. I go food shopping early Sat AM right when the store opens and before many people are up yet, I'm used to getting up at 5AM. Then there's my weekly Poker Game at my club on Sat nites in Balto County. Don't ask where, I'm not telling. I just don't feel any "Need" to go anywhere anymore like I used to when I was younger. Seems like when you're Young you think you might be Missing something if you stay home. After the years you realize that you really aren't. Now I just look fwd to my vacations in LV and sometimes a shorter drive to AC for a couple nights midweek. As for the other part, I have my Makarov and my stainless .357 ready to go and in reach in 2 places in the house. During the "Uprising" I pulled the 12ga Pump & Mini-14 out of the cabinet just in case. Not Paranoid, just Ready. I've had Sketchy people knocking on my door besides the Jehovah's Witnesses & Scammers trying to sell me Electricity or other stuff. The 2 Utes in their Hoodies asking to use my phone some years ago closed the deal for me. I oughta put up a sign, "Beware, Armed Grumpy Old Man Inside".

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

In my case hitting, 65 soon, I don't go anywhere 'cept to Work every day, Yes Still. I'll retire when they hit me in the face with the Shovel. I go food shopping early Sat AM right when the store opens and before many people are up yet, I'm used to getting up at 5AM. Then there's my weekly Poker Game at my club on Sat nites in Balto County. Don't ask where, I'm not telling. I just don't feel any "Need" to go anywhere anymore like I used to when I was younger. Seems like when you're Young you think you might be Missing something if you stay home. After the years you realize that you really aren't. Now I just look fwd to my vacations in LV and sometimes a shorter drive to AC for a couple nights midweek. As for the other part, I have my Makarov and my stainless .357 ready to go and in reach in 2 places in the house. During the "Uprising" I pulled the 12ga Pump & Mini-14 out of the cabinet just in case. Not Paranoid, just Ready. I've had Sketchy people knocking on my door besides the Jehovah's Witnesses & Scammers trying to sell me Electricity or other stuff. The 2 Utes in their Hoodies asking to use my phone some years ago closed the deal for me. I oughta put up a sign, "Beware, Armed Grumpy Old Man Inside".

Thanks for the upbeat post sunshine ....

I can always count on you to help me start the weekend off with a smile .....

It really doesn't matter who has survived being in Baltimore.   That's not the point.  Sabastian Dvorak did not.  And many others did not.

I am in Baltimore every day. I have survived. I don't brag about it because that's how it's supposed to go. Then again, I know that it's not all about me.

On 6/16/2017 at 5:58 AM, Bartman said:

My favorites are in no particular order.

• This home is protected by Smith and Wesson
  • If you are reading this sign....you will be shot in 30 seconds
  • No Trespassing. No warning shots will be fired due to an ammunition shortage
  • No Trespassing. Unless you can run faster than a 9mm round.

:D

Posted (edited)

On 6/16/2017 at 7:51 AM, Sprightly said:

It really doesn't matter who has survived being in Baltimore.   That's not the point.  Sabastian Dvorak did not.  And many others did not.

I am in Baltimore every day. I have survived. I don't brag about it because that's how it's supposed to go. Then again, I know that it's not all about me.

I used to while working commute 3 hours a day round trip to DC/Virginia down 95. And I survived. Staistically I had a higher chance of being killed in an auto accident than someone being shot and killed (well at least in some areas) in BC.

Why do I say that. Well driving to work is something you do....I assume most people get in their car and don't immediately think...Oh poop I may die in an auto accident. On the other hand IMHO i do think that people going into the city DO think....Oh poop I may get mugged, shot or die.

That is the dark cloud that is hanging over BC.

I don't know if any of you are into the Batman movies(not the OS) or Gotham. Unfortunately, I see so much of BC in how Gotham is portrayed. Again this my opinion and not really a debatable point.

Edited by Guido2

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I used to while working commute 3 hours a day round trip to DC/Virginia down 95. And I survived. Staistically I had a higher chance of being killed in an auto accident than someone being shot and killed (well at least in some areas) in BC.

Why do I say that. Well driving to work is something you do....I assume most people get in their car and don't immediately think...Oh poop I may die in an auto accident. On the other hand IMHO i do think that people going into the city DO think....Oh poop I may get mugged, shot or die.

That is the dark cloud that is hanging over BC.

I don't know if any of you are into the Batman movies(not the OS) or Gotham. Unfortunately, I see so much of BC in how Gotham is portrayed. Again this my opinion and not really a debatable point.

There is not doubt that there is a cloud hanging over Baltimore. As someone whose maternal family side -- and trust me -- it's a huge extended family -- that settled in Baltimore many generations ago, it saddens me. I grew up in Baltimore and Savannah.  My family - vast majority lived in Canton for generations. Some still do. My mother refused to leave Baltimore and lived there until her death five years ago.

I don't just go into Baltimore for work and stay in the safety of my office. (Not in the inner harbor or Fell's Pt. btw), I stay after work for meals and entertainment. I visit family and friends on weekends.

People who don't spend time in Baltimore are shocked by what they see outside of the "safer" areas. For example, a couple of years ago I broke my foot and could not drive.  A co-worker who commutes from Virginia gave me a ride home.  I wanted her to see how far too many people live so I took her on my normal route - MLK, Franklin, Monroe, Washington Blvd.  Her reaction was priceless with comments such as, "Oh my God! Look at all those boarded up houses! Look at all that trash!"

I pointed out to her that residents of these areas are some of our clients. She sees them every day. Her snobbery was not shocking to me but her lack of realization was.

Yeah, so unless you spend time in the real Baltimore, it's not debatable that you really don't know Baltimore.

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

There is not doubt that there is a cloud hanging over Baltimore. As someone whose maternal family side -- and trust me -- it's a huge extended family -- that settled in Baltimore many generations ago, it saddens me. I grew up in Baltimore and Savannah.  My family - vast majority lived in Canton for generations. Some still do. My mother refused to leave Baltimore and lived there until her death five years ago.

I don't just go into Baltimore for work and stay in the safety of my office. (Not in the inner harbor or Fell's Pt. btw), I stay after work for meals and entertainment. I visit family and friends on weekends.

People who don't spend time in Baltimore are shocked by what they see outside of the "safer" areas. For example, a couple of years ago I broke my foot and could not drive.  A co-worker who commutes from Virginia gave me a ride home.  I wanted her to see how far too many people live so I took her on my normal route - MLK, Franklin, Monroe, Washington Blvd.  Her reaction was priceless with comments such as, "Oh my God! Look at all those boarded up houses! Look at all that trash!"

I pointed out to her that residents of these areas are some of our clients. She sees them every day. Her snobbery was not shocking to me but her lack of realization was.

Yeah, so unless you spend time in the real Baltimore, it's not debatable that you really don't know Baltimore.

If you don't mind my asking but what is it that you do? I'd like to comment but without knowing that I really feel it uncomfortable commenting on 'her snobbery'. This is interesting.

But in the meantime. The Dark cloud has been generated due to (and this is a big summarization and a IMHO). That for too long the BC gooberment has played kick the can down the road on most all issues related to the drag (take your pick). Also the 'you have to understand' card has been played so many times that you can see through it. And the judicial system is nothing but a joke. JTMs

Edited by Guido2

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

If you don't mind my asking but what is it that you do? I'd like to comment but without knowing that I really feel it uncomfortable commenting on 'her snobbery'. This is interesting.

What I do isn't germane to this conversation.

2 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

What I do isn't germane to this conversation.

Ok let me try this....you said Her snobbery was not shocking to me but her lack of realization was.

So I wonder why she was a snob and 'her lack' was shocking. I am not getting nor do I want to be adversarial about this. But to me especially since you mentioned your line of work implies that she should not be one the first and fully aware of the second. Yet she is.

As an analogy...to me; This is sort of of like if you two worked in a dynamite factory this is sort of like someone smoking high end Sherman cigarettes (mmmm they are good) and not realizing the danger of striking a match at the plant.

Hope you can see my confusion.

14 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Ok let me try this....you said Her snobbery was not shocking to me but her lack of realization was.

So I wonder why she was a snob and 'her lack' was shocking. I am not getting nor do I want to be adversarial about this. But to me especially since you mentioned your line of work implies that she should not be one the first and fully aware of the second. Yet she is.

As an analogy...to me; This is sort of of like if you two worked in a dynamite factory this is sort of like someone smoking high end Sherman cigarettes (mmmm they are good) and not realizing the danger of striking a match at the plant.

Hope you can see my confusion.

The lack of realization comment is based on the fact that until this job, she had never spent a moment in Baltimore City. She has lived a very nice life and a very expensive Virginia. And despite the fact that she has worked at my organization for a while, she still doesn't understand the clients we serve. That's all. And, yes, her comments were snobbish. Someone who has never seen boarded up homes, and shows that level of shock, doesn't live in the real world. (P.s. the next time she drove me home, she would only drive the MLK - 95 routes.) No surprise.

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

The lack of realization comment is based on the fact that until this job, she had never spent a moment in Baltimore City. She has lived a very nice life and a very expensive Virginia. And despite the fact that she has worked at my organization for a while, she still doesn't understand the clients we serve. That's all. And, yes, her comments were snobbish. Someone who has never seen boarded up homes, and shows that level of shock, doesn't live in the real world. (P.s. the next time she drove me home, she would only drive the MLK - 95 routes.) No surprise.

OK...that was all I was looking for....and now it makes total sense.

I guess this case is just a variation of what we see day in and day out but more focused.

BTIM....all the highly educatedj mostly affluent....we know betters....making pronouncements and laws and rules...and never ...as they say 'walked a mile.......' in the real world.

I hate to pick at a scab but as an example; those higher ups, with guarded communities, body guards, etc. That slam CCWs....especially in MD.

Not derailing....just say'n

And btw ...just for the record...when I moved to Gwynn Oak ...I always took the the 'backways' (Wilkens Ave and so on) never gave it a thought. Now? No way!

Edited by Guido2