Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BayAreaBmore

Will the O's ever win another game Game Thread 6/13 vs White Sox

41 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

How many more seasons of Trumbo?

It was only a three year deal. Was anyone else even interested? It seemed pretty obvious he had a great first few months and then he finished the season pretty meh. He's picked up where he left off.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

How many more seasons of Trumbo?

Too many 

Mancini works the count, works a lot of pitches, and drives a double to the gap (opposite field).

Schoop follows with a helicopter swing pop-up / out... on the first pitch.  Runner doesn't move over.

Castillo swinging for the fences, comes up short, Mancini (who would have scored had Schoop moved him over) has to go back to 2nd.

Hardy flies out to end it.

This team is so stubborn about trying to hit the ball out of the park at ALL times, it's absolutely infuriating.

LOL. And there ya have it.

Posted (edited)

Big Dan and Peter Angelos fiddle while...well, you know the rest.

Edited by pitbull

Buck sitting idly by while everyone else knew what was coming...

Hey...where's that bird brain who kept saying stuff like: "BUT THE O's ARE ONLY A GAME OUT OF FIRST PLACE"!!! and "THE O's ARE ON A PACE TO WIN 94 GAMES"!!!? Where is that guy now, eh?

Buck is starting to look like a clueless manager 

56 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Buck is starting to look like a clueless manager 

I would fire Buck and promote John Russell. If that doesn't turn it around. Blow everything up.

5 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

I would fire Buck and promote John Russell. If that doesn't turn it around. Blow everything up.

Nobody wants to return to the pre-Buck days, but something has to change here and it has to be major, not minor.

3 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

I don't think I would fire Buck.  You can't give a guy total crap for a pitching staff and an offense that can't score other than hitting home runs and then turn around and blame him.  I admit it looks like he is struggling to handle when to take out pitchers, but then when you have absolutely nothing other than Bundy to work with it's hard to fault the guy.  Tillman obviously needs surgery and is useless right now.  I never believed Guasman was much of anything.  Miley and Jimenez are crap pitchers that have gone from team to team.  Everyone else they have brought up is not ready and may never be because the Orioles farm system is a total mess.  If anyone gets fired it should be Dan, but then he can only do so much when you have the worst owner in sports.  The guy pays his pet favorites like Davis who should have been allowed to walk, but won't pay for any decent starters.   I would say it may end eventually when Angelos finally kicks the bucket, but if the team is left to his sons it may get even worse.  A sad decline for what was a model franchise from the mid 60's to the early 80's.  

Posted (edited)

Hell, the Orioles haven't had a decent owner since Jerry Hoffberger got out in 1979. First Edward Bennett Williams, then Eli Jacobs and now Angelos--lawyers everyone of them. I think there should be a bylaw prohibiting lawyers from owning professional sports franchises (think Donald Sterling).

I don't want to see Showalter fired and I doubt if he's in any serious danger of being so. To me, he's still one of the five best managers in baseball, but Casey Stengel, John J. McGraw or even The Earl himself would be hard-pressed to do make good with the way the pitching's been this year. Regardless, I don't want to go back to the days of over-matched drones like Dave Trembley and Sam Perlozzo.

I think it was Whitey Herzog who once said that "having a good pitching staff makes me smarter."

Edited by mdrunning

8 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

Mancini works the count, works a lot of pitches, and drives a double to the gap (opposite field).

Schoop follows with a helicopter swing pop-up / out... on the first pitch.  Runner doesn't move over.

Castillo swinging for the fences, comes up short, Mancini (who would have scored had Schoop moved him over) has to go back to 2nd.

Hardy flies out to end it.

This team is so stubborn about trying to hit the ball out of the park at ALL times, it's absolutely infuriating.

It's all they know.  It's all they can do.  On and on it goes.....

Posted (edited)

You don't fire Buck out of respect for what he did with this team. But I have to believe that the tension between him and DD forces one of them to step down.

Buck always had an expiration date -- he had one everywhere else he's ever been: 4 years in NYY, 3 in ARZ, 4 in TEX...Baltimore has been his longest stint by far, 7+ seasons. And it may have been the best managerial work of his career.

So you can't fire him for a month of bad baseball when he's dealt with injuries and then given trash and told to make gold.

That said, his in-game managing is good but not great. His best assets take place off the field, but after 7 years I don't know how much more he can motivate players or get them to buy in, especially when you're going 9-22 and losing 11 in a row on the road.

By then, nothing you say works.

Edited by Pickle20