Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Maybe this is Why Trump Wants the Investigation Stopped - At Least Five Florida Counties Targeted by Russian Hack

13 posts in this topic

TALLAHASSEE — Russian hackers tried to break into the computer systems of at least five Florida county elections offices days before the 2016 presidential election, according to five county officials who say they received malicious emails described in a leaked intelligence report.

Election supervisors in Hillsborough, Pasco, Citrus and Clay counties separately told the Times/Herald their offices got the emails, which contained attachments that could have taken over their computers. But all four said their staffers did not open them. Volusia County said it opened one of the infected emails, but not the attachment that could have compromised its systems.

There's been no evidence disclosed publicly that any counties were breached. It's not clear how many counties were targeted, in Florida or across the country. The Times/Herald sent requests for the emails to all 67 elections offices in the state. Nineteen replied back that they searched for them and couldn't find any.

The intelligence report, written by the National Security Agency, was published Monday by the Intercept, an online news outlet, and verified by other national media sources. It described two efforts by a Russian military intelligence unit, the G.R.U., to disrupt the presidential election.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/at-least-2-florida-counties-targeted-by-russian-hacking-attempt/2326339

Posted (edited)

This would be considered a matter of serious national security, however, as you heard yesterday, it apparently doesn't even rise to the level where the AG needs to be made aware of the situation.....this dereliction of duty, under normal circumstances, would be grounds for removal, but we hardly live in normal times....you have the giant orange snowflake still clinging to his belief that the Russian active measures being used are really just fake news........Nero comes to mind

Edited by can you hear me now!

COMEY: “Yes, sir. He actually went further than that. He said. and if some of my satellites did something wrong, it’d be good to find that out.”
RUBIO: “Well that’s the second part. And that is the satellites. He said, if one of my satellites, I imagine by that he meant some of the other people surrounding his campaign did something wrong, it would be great to know that as well.
” COMEY: “Yes, sir, that’s what he said.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/448440/donald-trump-russia-investigation-everything-come-out

Um, wait say what?  They care calling phishing emails a "cyber attack"?  Errrrr....this just became laughable.

I heard there were hanging chads too....Oh my!

Posted (edited)

so the local electioneers were not idiots like Podesta and did not fall for a crude phising scheme. It didn't work. The Russians are always trying to screw with us in various ways, always have been, always will be.  Unless somewhere its shown that Trump somehow participated in the effort, where's the story? What's next, was Ana Chapman an employee of Trump or something?

Edited by Saticon3

They also hacked the wrong counties, all except Hillsborough are firmly conservative counties and would never have gone Hillary.

Hillary handily won Hillsborough-- hmmm, maybe it did work and they hacked in her favor!

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

so the local electioneers were not idiots like Podesta and did not fall for a crude phising scheme. It didn't work. The Russians are always trying to screw with us in various ways, always have been, always will be.  Unless somewhere its shown that Trump somehow participated in the effort, where's the story? What's next, was Ana Chapman an employee of Trump or something?

Do you just say the first things that blow through your ears? The hack was done on the software company. Go back to bed. 

VR Systems' software helps check in voters at the polls and doesn't tabulate ballots. Still, the attack could have infected election workers' computers, VR Systems warned in a Nov. 1 email, which many supervisors credited with helping them avoid opening the files.

Edited by zenwalk

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

They also hacked the wrong counties, all except Hillsborough are firmly conservative counties and would never have gone Hillary.

Hillary handily won Hillsborough-- hmmm, maybe it did work and they hacked in her favor!

Hey Saticon. Welcome back. I thought you were impeached or something. :)

Edited by ncbirdfan

14 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

Do you just say the first things that blow through your ears? The hack was done on the software company. Go back to bed. 

VR Systems' software helps check in voters at the polls and doesn't tabulate ballots. Still, the attack could have infected election workers' computers, VR Systems warned in a Nov. 1 email, which many supervisors credited with helping them avoid opening the files.

It's still a rudimentary phishing scam, and there are millions of them every single day.  If this is the best the "Russians" have to offer, I don't think there is much to worry about.  Then again, some people are actually dumb enough to still open files attached to emails from unknown sources ;)

Just now, alienrace said:

It's still a rudimentary phishing scam, and there are millions of them every single day.  If this is the best the "Russians" have to offer, I don't think there is much to worry about.  Then again, some people are actually dumb enough to still open files attached to emails from unknown sources ;)

The VR systems hack wasn't rudimentary at all.   I haven't read this article but the original Intercept article was posted already on the forum. Here's a Wapo article on it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/06/06/russias-attempt-to-hack-voting-systems-shows-that-our-elections-need-better-security/?utm_term=.8004d8bfb40d

There's nothing to see here folks. Now just move along. :unsure:

1 hour ago, zenwalk said:

The VR systems hack wasn't rudimentary at all.   I haven't read this article but the original Intercept article was posted already on the forum. Here's a Wapo article on it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/06/06/russias-attempt-to-hack-voting-systems-shows-that-our-elections-need-better-security/?utm_term=.8004d8bfb40d

What's funny about this is so many of our rwnj friends have tish-toshed the Russian interference by saying "hey, if it didn't actually affect voting and vote tabulation, no worries".  So like clockwork, when it comes out that the interference DID extend to those areas--whether or not successfully TBD--the song is now "oh shucks, that ain't no serious hacking, my dog does that all the time".

SMH