Heisenberg

Man who thinks tearing down confederate statues is akin to ISIS almost wins Republican nomination for VA Gov

150 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Sorry, I don't support murder or murderers like Brown.

Indeed, "like Brown" - in the cause of freedom and equality. That has been established beyond a shadow of a doubt. Violence and murder in the cause of racial  oppression? Meh.

12 minutes ago, Duke of Earl said:

Since the Confederate States of America never sought to take over the territory of the USA, I'm   sure that  there would be statues of Grant in the north .

I am surprised that there are so few statues in the South commemorating the liberation of so many of its people.

8 minutes ago, hst2 said:

I am surprised that there are so few statues in the South commemorating the liberation of so many of its people.

Raise money and build some. I don't   care if you  put  up a statue to the Mills Brother as long as you leave ours alone .

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

You support the redemption. It was violent and full of murder. You have no moral ground to criticize Brown. Quite the antithesis.

John Brown was the Charles Manson of 1859 .

2 minutes ago, Duke of Earl said:

Raise money and build some. I don't   care if you  put  up a statue to the Mills Brother as long as you leave ours alone .

Don't the people of the south appreciate freedom? I would think that they would do it without my prompting.

Statues in public areas should reflect values that we all share: freedom, equality, social progress and the like. That you want "your" statues there suggests a division that does not serve us well.

3 minutes ago, Duke of Earl said:

John Brown was the Charles Manson of 1859 .

Another freedom and equality hating poster. So sad!

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

Another freedom and equality hating poster. So sad!

That is rich coming from someone who believes the government should determine where we can live or not live based on race, that private property should be abolished and who believes some groups should be treated differently under the law than others.

Edited by Smokey 1

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, hst2 said:

Don't the people of the south appreciate freedom? I would think that they would do it without my prompting.

Statues in public areas should reflect values that we all share: freedom, equality, social progress and the like. That you want "your" statues there suggests a division that does not serve us well.

They reflect the  values at the time  and  that's  good enough . I'm perfectly happy with division.  It always has existed one way or the other and always will:  Royalist  / Round Heads , Protestant / Catholic,  Federalist / Anti Federalist, Labor / Capital , Dems / GOP . etc 

Edited by Duke of Earl

2 hours ago, hst2 said:

By all means add more statues and additional public explanation. I see no reason to remove statues 

4 hours ago, Duke of Earl said:

They reflect the  values at the time  and  that's  good enough . I'm perfectly happy with division.  It always has existed one way or the other and always will:  Royalist Round Heads , Protestant / Catholic,  Federalist / Anti Federalist, Labor / Capital , Dems / GOP . etc 

Black/white?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, demopublican said:

ISIS had an excuse as well

You didn't read the speech, did you?

ISIS is destroying historical artifqacts; communities like New Orleans are removing propaganda and placing them in a more appropriate location.

Edited by hst2

18 minutes ago, hst2 said:

You didn't read the speech, did you?

ISIS is destroying historical artifqacts; communities like New Orleans are removing propaganda and placing them in a more appropriate location.

Get back to me on crime stats and we can talk speeches from my second home town of New Orleans 

8 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Get back to me on crime stats and we can talk speeches from my second home town of New Orleans 

Boy, you sure gave up on the monuments discussion in a hurry.

1 minute ago, hst2 said:

Boy, you sure gave up on the monuments discussion in a hurry.

No.  Just refusing to debate when you won't.  

On 6/14/2017 at 5:57 AM, hst2 said:

"The Party of Lincoln"

Which is not your party.  Your ilk fought Lincoln tooth and nail.  

Posted (edited)

On 6/14/2017 at 11:56 AM, ncbirdfan said:

You are right. The monuments should have been destroyed (or at least put in museums) over 100 years ago. And if you think the combatants made peace after the Civil War you surely do not live in the south. The ancestors here are very angry about that war and drive around in pickup trucks with rebel flags blazing in the back. And ever since Trump won they have been out in force more than ever.

Including the graves of Confederates.  They should be destroyed too.  Every gravestone should be ground up and used to pave new highways.  

But it is a fact that modern Southern people are far more patriotic than anywhere else in the country.  When I lived in Arkansas, the kids loved to flap a confederate flag while electing black kids class president and prom queen.  And then they joined the military.  Same last names as appear on the little Confederate memorial in the town center.  But now the soldiers are wearing cammies in Afghanistan.  

Growing up I had the same contempt for the South that seems to be so in vogue with liberals.  Then I lived there.  I realized my bigotry toward them was no different from bigotry anywhere else.

Edited by jdsample

7 hours ago, jdsample said:

Including the graves of Confederates.  They should be destroyed too.  Every gravestone should be ground up and used to pave new highways.  

But it is a fact that modern Southern people are far more patriotic than anywhere else in the country.  When I lived in Arkansas, the kids loved to flap a confederate flag while electing black kids class president and prom queen.  And then they joined the military.  Same last names as appear on the little Confederate memorial in the town center.  But now the soldiers are wearing cammies in Afghanistan.  

Growing up I had the same contempt for the South that seems to be so in vogue with liberals.  Then I lived there.  I realized my bigotry toward them was no different from bigotry anywhere else.

Patriotic, but not very bright, apparently.

7 hours ago, jdsample said:

Which is not your party.  Your ilk fought Lincoln tooth and nail.  

Why does his own party abandon him today?

8 hours ago, demopublican said:

No.  Just refusing to debate when you won't.  

Yes. Just refusing to read something that could enlighten you.

9 hours ago, demopublican said:

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Why are you posting in circles? You seem to be determined to remain uniformed on the topic.

Edited by hst2

10 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Why are you posting in circles? You seem to be determined to remain uniformed on the topic.

I have read the speech.  I am fully informed.  But since you refuse to answer me I refuse to answer you

2 minutes ago, demopublican said:

I have read the speech.  I am fully informed.  But since you refuse to answer me I refuse to answer you

What did you ask?