soulflower

Shooting at GOP baseball practice

309 posts in this topic

"The Second Amendment people could act . . "

This is probably not what Little Two Scoops had in mind.

Since we don't know the motive of the shooter yet, could he be a disgruntled Republican - maybe a WV coal miner who just know realized that he isn't getting his coal mining job back and he is going to lose his health insurance that he has under the ACA?

3 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

It's definitely about gun control, but not in the way you think.

This would have been a massacre had the Capitol police not been there.  And I'm sure you already realize that Scalese, because of the high elected position he holds in Congress, had protection there because of that position that the others did not have.

Martin O'Malley's tweet looks it was one of the first by a political figure to politicize this act of domestic terrorism that targeted Republicans. 

I'll take the word of those Republicans who came under attack about the need for self-protection.  The 66 year old man who did this, like all criminals and terrorists, don't give a damn about the law.

Virginia is open carry

Somehow, this is all Obama's fault.

3 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Since we don't know the motive of the shooter yet, could he be a disgruntled Republican - maybe a WV coal miner who just know realized that he isn't getting his coal mining job back and he is going to lose his health insurance that he has under the ACA?

Yeah,you wish

The Washington Post reports that Hodgkinson is a resident of Belleville, Illinois and is the owner of a home inspection business. Records in St. Clair County, Illinois show that Hodgkinson in  April 2006 was charged with battery and aiding damage to a motor vehicle.

His Twitter profile shows that Hodgkinson is a left-wing supporter of Bernie Sanders who has also posted several memes on his Facebook page critical of President Donald Trump. He also called Georgia Republican congressional candidate Karen Handel a “*****” for saying she didn’t support a living wage during a debate with Democratic rival Jon Ossoff.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/gop-baseball-practice-shooter-identified-as-66-year-old-james-t-hodgkinson/

6 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

There was a massive fire in a high rise London apartment building last night. Many were killed and injured. Is this the wrong time to talk about fire safety and prevention?

Great analogy...not.  BTW, DC has probably the toughest gun control laws in the country.  Worked great, right?

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Capitol police, Scalise has a security detail.

Had Scalise not been there, this could have been a massacre.

Edited by CajunRaven
typo

Again, gun proliferation has no bearing on this.  Guns are a tool - and there are other tools available if guns are not(see, example A, recent London attacks). 

What we have is an anger problem.  Irresponsible politicians, and even moreso, irresponsible media, have gotten people across the globe lathered up in a way that was not possible before the Information Age. 

It seems rather likely, if not obvious, that the shooting was politically motivated.  This is how divided, hopelessly so, our country(and the world) has become.  Politics, across the world have created a divide so wide that it seems the only conclusion will be civil unrest, riots, and anarchy.  No matter what, there are always those who just want to see the world burn. 

I have no solutions to it.  Gun control stops nothing.  Gun elimination stops nothing.  Seems to me, the only thing that will heal this Earth is if people are actually forced to band up and work together...you know...like an alien invasion or something.  Even then, humans will go right back, eventually, to hating and dividing. 

4 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Then wouldn't you think he'd target Trump, since he said it ..???

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

And your point? It doesn't take a genius to figure that it would be someone that is anti-GOP, but it doesn't make your comment about this being a result of laft-wing hate any less false:

"...given the climate and hatred spewing from the left I have little hope I am wrong"

Edited by ncbirdfan

7 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

The 66 year old man who did this, like all criminals and terrorists, don't give a damn about the law.

I totally agree with that. It takes a special kind of crazy to shoot at people based on their political persuasion. 

Just now, FatBoy said:

I totally agree with that. It takes a special kind of crazy to shoot at people based on their political persuasion. 

We all have something in which we agree.

1 minute ago, ncbirdfan said:

And your point? It doesn't take a genius to figure that it would be someone that is anti-GOP, but it doesn't make your comment about this being a result of laft-wing hate true:

Read what you typed and t\ell us all what sense does than nonsense make.

He clearly was anti GOP and practiced hate fueled rhetoric himself.

I hope you are not serious but given the history...

1 minute ago, mcorioles said:

Great post!

It's being reported that Scalise is out of surgery and doing well.  That is very good news.  Hopefully the other folks who were shot by this nutcase are doing well also

6 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

The Washington Post reports that Hodgkinson is a resident of Belleville, Illinois and is the owner of a home inspection business. Records in St. Clair County, Illinois show that Hodgkinson in  April 2006 was charged with battery and aiding damage to a motor vehicle.

His Twitter profile shows that Hodgkinson is a left-wing supporter of Bernie Sanders who has also posted several memes on his Facebook page critical of President Donald Trump. He also called Georgia Republican congressional candidate Karen Handel a “*****” for saying she didn’t support a living wage during a debate with Democratic rival Jon Ossoff.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/gop-baseball-practice-shooter-identified-as-66-year-old-james-t-hodgkinson/

A "second Amendment" solution?

6 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

And your point? It doesn't take a genius to figure that it would be someone that is anti-GOP, but it doesn't make your comment about this being a result of laft-wing hate any less false:

Shelia Lee disagrees with you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/2017/live-updates/public-safety/updates-shooting-at-congressional-baseball-practice-in-virginia/rep-lee-we-must-address-the-seeming-anger/?utm_term=.9608f93b0a4c

1 minute ago, jonsensback said:

Read what you typed and t\ell us all what sense does than nonsense make.

He clearly was anti GOP and practiced hate fueled rhetoric himself.

I hope you are not serious but given the history...

But you claimed that this was because of " hatred spewing from the left." But what hatred? Do you have any evidence where someone on the left was advocating shooting a GOP-politician? Was there cheering after this happened this morning? Is there dancing in the streets? No. Everyone seems to be solemn about this and rightfully so. No one is high-fiving what this disturbed man did.

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

It's definitely about gun control, but not in the way you think.

This would have been a massacre had the Capitol police not been there.  And I'm sure you already realize that Scalese, because of the high elected position he holds in Congress, had protection there because of that position that the others did not have.

Martin O'Malley's tweet looks it was one of the first by a political figure to politicize this act of domestic terrorism that targeted Republicans. 

I'll take the word of those Republicans who came under attack about the need for self-protection.  The 66 year old man who did this, like all criminals and terrorists, don't give a damn about the law.

This 66 year old criminal lives in a country where he can get his hands on a M4 Assault weapon! Luck is not that the Capitol Police were there,... luck is that this 66 year old clown didn't know how to optimize his having this type of weapon. Trust me!

And for you knuckleheads bent on politicizing this tragedy,... I'll feed your silliness with this one and only comment: This 66 year old clown is starting to profile out as a right wing, Trump voting, ObamaCare hating, Xenophobic, gun nut, individual. Just sayin'! Now that they've identified who this knot-head is and where he came from,... more about his character and motive will soon come to light. And it's looking more and more like he will not fit your 'crazed left wing soldier' narrative!

Edited by ericpd

11 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

He could be, but since you're speculating on political affiliation or who the gunman might have supported, I will also speculate that it is far more likely that he was someone who hated Trump and sounds more like he'd be yet another unhinged Bernout Sanders supporter.

I might be wrong, but that is my guess. 

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, ericpd said:

This 66 year old criminal lives in a country where he can get his hands on a M4 Assault weapon! Luck is not that the Capitol Police were there,... luck is that this 66 year old clown didn't know how to optimize his having this type of weapon. Trust me!

And for you knuckleheads bent on politicizing this tragedy,... I'll feed your silliness with this one and only comment: This 66 year old clown is starting to profile out as a right wing, Trump voting, ObamaCare hating, Xenophobic, gun nut, individual. Just sayin'! Now that they've identified who this knot-head is and where he came from,... more about his character and motive will soon come to light.

He lives in Illinois where you have to have a gun owners card to buy a single shot shotgun.

M4 assault weapon?  Not in Illinois. 

Edited by jonsensback
correction