soulflower

Shooting at GOP baseball practice

309 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

Shootings happen all over the country on a very frequent basis. It even happens at schools, malls  and workplaces sometimes. To my knowledge this is the first time it happened on a ball field. But I didn't do any research on it.

This shooting is different from others in that this is an attack on our government.

These people were targeted specifically because they were members of Congress.

3 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Anything with a clip can be modified with a larger clip.  I have a deer rifle (Rem 742 30.06) that you can buy a 20 shot clip for which do well as an AR.

But this case it mentioned the shooter kept shoot and reloading, which made me thing he had a bolt action or a short clip on a semi.

i hope I don't come across as a jerk here. But 'clip' generally refers to a piece of metal that you can preload with cartridges and load or strip into the internal magazine. A magazine (which is what you are referring to ) is a square box unit that is loaded with your rounds and is attached externally.

Till I got certified as an NRA instructor I used the terms interchangeably also. Man did I catch it from my instructors about that.

8 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

Didn't know that. It's hard to keep up. Not hard to imagine under Trump that we are trending towards one monumental agency with complete policing powers over everything.

The ironic, almost funny part, is an administration like Trump's is historically far more likely to confiscate your guns!

Sieg Heil.

3 minutes ago, VOSA said:

This shooting is different from others in that this is an attack on our government.

Be you a big deal in government or joe six pack. You can be just as dead especially if you can not defend yourself. As they said on the news if the rep was not there with his armed guard.....it would have been a massacre.

Many seem to forget that small point.

1 hour ago, jtowne-swim said:

Stranger that the have jurisdiction in VA.

I'm sure the first thing that went through their minds when the gunman opened fire was "Do we have jurisdiction here?"

Just now, Guido2 said:

Be you a big deal in government or joe six pack. You can be just as dead especially if you can not defend yourself. As they said on the news if the rep was not there with his armed guard.....it would have been a massacre.

Many seem to forget that small point.

The shooter got off 50 rounds.......some security.

1 hour ago, zenwalk said:

They are tasked with protecting Congress and non-Executive nabobs. The SS does the Executive. Meecham from House of Cards was Capitol Police then was brought into the Secret Service when Underwood became prez. And if things aren't confusing enough the SS is a part of the Treasury Dept.

Thank you for letting us know where you get your information on how our government functions.

Any news on a San Fran, shooting at UPS facility?

27 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

Didn't know that. It's hard to keep up. Not hard to imagine under Trump that we are trending towards one monumental agency with complete policing powers over everything.

The ironic, almost funny part, is an administration like Trump's is historically far more likely to confiscate your guns!

Changed after 9-11 with the big shuffle

21 minutes ago, VOSA said:

We don't know that for sure yet. Reasonable assumption but the only one who can say for sure is dead.

Scalise is now in critical condition. Thoughts and prayers.

Watched a republican senator on the TV say to effect, (the hateful speech must stop). Have to wonder did he speak up when donald spewed his hate and then said, 'No regrets'.

"love the old days. They’d be carried out on a stretcher, folks.”
“I’d like to punch him in the face, I tell ya.”

"I think that her bodyguards should drop all weapons,” “I think they should disarm. Immediately.”
“Let’s see what happens to her. Take their guns away, O.K. It’ll be very dangerous.”

"If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do folks.” “Although the Second Amendment people—maybe there is, I don’t know.”

Grab ’em by the *****

'No regrets'

Hate can be deadly, a 70+ year old 'man' should know this, but I don't believe it bothers him one bit.

................................................................................................................................................................................

I remember a few years back Senator McCain I believe was holding a rally.....some woman stood up and started going in on President Obama, calling him Arab and others calling him a terrorist. McCain took the mic from the woman and stated President Obama is a decent man and no he's not Arab.....effectively shutting her hate down. I gained much respect for him that day.

21 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Any news on a San Fran, shooting at UPS facility?

4 dead including the gunman

27 minutes ago, VOSA said:

I'm sure the first thing that went through their minds when the gunman opened fire was "Do we have jurisdiction here?"

I simply was surprised to learn the capitol police do more than handle the physical premises of the capitol.

18 minutes ago, jtowne-swim said:

I simply was surprised to learn the capitol police do more than handle the physical premises of the capitol.

It is kind of a mystery box isn't it. Best I can piece it togeather Secret Service protects the President. Capital Police everyone else deemed 'important'.

Hey we are important where's ours.:lol:.

Posted (edited)

Anyone who tries to politicize this awful event is an Un-American piece of dog [crap].  Period.

Edited by Baltimatt
Language

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

It is kind of a mystery box isn't it. Best I can piece it togeather Secret Service protects the President. Capital Police everyone else deemed 'important'.

Hey we are important where's ours.:lol:.

I just saw this Tweet from Van Hollen on tv

Chris Van HollenVerified account @ChrisVanHollen

An attack on one is an attack on all. Praying for a speedy recovery for Rep. Scalise and other victims. Big salute to Capitol Police!

So an attack on one is an attack on all? I guess we, the regular folks, aren't the "all" because regular citizens have been getting attacked for quite a while while he opposes legislation which allows us to defend ourselves with firearms.

Edited by Woodbuchr

34 minutes ago, FritoPendejo said:

Anyone who tries to politicize this awful event is an Un-American piece of dog [crap].  Period.

Nobody has to "try" to politicize it - the event was a politically motivated shooting.  It does that all on it's own.

8 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

As you can see in this thread, rightwingers are trying to politicize this shooting. I don't care if they are Republican, Democrat, Christian, Muslim, gay, etc. My prayers go out to the victims and I am thankful that things got under control quickly.

To be fair, when the nutball out west was insulting the Muslim women then stabbed the two guys that tried to help them, there were many on the left that said that Trump was the cause. Just like when the Jewish cemeteries were vandalized, they were "emboldened by Trump". So here's what happens when people use a tragedy to push an agenda. Now it's turned on them. The left can't be dropping F bombs at rallys, saying republicans are gonna cause children to die, and poison the air, and ripping apart families, Madonna saying she thinks often of blowing up the white house, Kathy Griffen staging a beheading of the president, a teacher making a pinata out of a Trump head and have the kids beat his head till it comes apart, Schumer saying republicans  are taking food from the elderly, and so on, and so forth.

Posted (edited)

So in the many cases of Trump actually verbally inciting his followers to violence with them eagerly and murderously responding it doesn't reflect on Trump, but one case of a guy actually going against Sanders' stated philosophy reflects on all liberals and we have to be quiet now.

Got it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Calamari

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

I just saw this Tweet from Van Hollen on tv

So an attack on one is an attack on all? I guess we, the regular folks, aren't the "all" because regular citizens have been getting attacked for quite a while while he opposes legislation which allows us to defend ourselves with firearms.

It is very interesting that 'one of their own' gets dinged. Then it is tears and shock. It is called a reality check that they have long deserved. They found out the glass bubble they live in is shattered and now is no longer sacred ground. THEY NOW MAY SEE THE PAIN OF BEING VULNERABLE TO THE WHIMS OF FATE AND BAD GUYS. JUST LIKE US!

To a man....almost everyone of the 'victims' has said 'Thank God for the Capital Police'...what they were really saying was 'Thank God there were good men with guns that knew how to shoot straight otherwise we would be DEAD!'

So as I said to my wife....this thing could swing two ways. The shock of vulnerability even at the level of the anointed may take hold and they realize ...that common man lives with this  day in and day out. And allows us really defend ourselves.

Or after they make sure there asses are secured and covered. Then they will develop selective amnesia and start pushing for more gun laws or worse.

Unfortunately my gutt says; based on track records...it is the latter that will be pushed.

Time will tell.

Edited by Guido2

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

To be fair, when the nutball out west was insulting the Muslim women then stabbed the two guys that tried to help them, there were many on the left that said that Trump was the cause. Just like when the Jewish cemeteries were vandalized, they were "emboldened by Trump". So here's what happens when people use a tragedy to push an agenda. Now it's turned on them. The left can't be dropping F bombs at rallys, saying republicans are gonna cause children to die, and poison the air, and ripping apart families, Madonna saying she thinks often of blowing up the white house, Kathy Griffen staging a beheading of the president, a teacher making a pinata out of a Trump head and have the kids beat his head till it comes apart, Schumer saying republicans  are taking food from the elderly, and so on, and so forth.

You reap what you sow. It is definitely a hostile political climate, and Trump is part of the problem. He could be a leader and publicly denounce all violence but he has encouraged it when it is against HIS enemies. And if Republicans pass their health bill, people ARE going to die and with the pollution deregulation our streams and air WILL be polluted. And I somehow doubt there are many teachers with Trump pinatas.

As far as celebrities - didn't Griffin pay for her mistake with her firing at CNN and loss in public appearances? Didn't the public universally condemn her? And Madonna? Who gets advise from her? And in all of these cases, is anyone advocating violence or killing?  And what leader on the left even comes close to advocating violence as a means to get something accomplished?

Edited by ncbirdfan

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, Calamari said:

So in the many cases of Trump actually verbally inciting his followers to violence with them eagerly and murderously responding it doesn't reflect on Trump, but one case of a guy actually going against Sanders' stated philosophy reflects on all liberals and we have to be quiet now.

Got it. :rolleyes:

The shooter was an absolute Bernie Sanders backer who was full of anger.  He targeted Republican congressmen so he was full of anger against them.  Trump uses strong rhetoric for sure but nothing like the gang of Democrats who continue it and whine about the election outcome.  They will not stop but should shut down their language and work to make the country better.  But they will not.  The media, all of it, needs to calm things down too.  Probably will not and it won't stop. 

Edited by woody

9 minutes ago, woody said:

The shooter was an absolute Bernie Sanders backer who was full of anger.  He targeted Republican congressmen so he was full of anger against them.  Trump uses strong rhetoric for sure but nothing like the gang of Democrats who continue it and whine about the election outcome.  They will not stop but should shut down their language and work to make the country better.  But they will not.  The media, all of it, needs to calm things down too.  Probably will not and it won't stop. 

Maybe for a few days. But its not stopping it on here.