Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmore_ken

Watson Restructures

13 posts in this topic

Watson, who also has played for the Saints, Browns, and Patriots, accepted a restructured contract last week, per a source with knowledge of the situation. Previously due to make $3 million in 2017, Watson has reduced his base salary to $1.25 million. Of that amount, $750,000 is fully guaranteed.

The deal also has incentive thresholds that can bump his compensation up to a maximum of $3 million

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/13/benjamin-watson-restructured-his-contract-last-week/

Flacco's turn to step up for the good of the team. The O line still needs help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that Flacco just restructured recently, but I would not be surprised if he does it again.  He's got to know that they are gearing up for a run, and could really use the space to get him a center and more line help.  I think the guy wants to win, and getting Maclin should be a good indication that Ozzie is now working on beefing up the offense after focusing so heavily on defense during the offseason so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watson is still overpaid but Flacco  is too selfish to even consider restructuring his deal. His me-first attitude mirrors the defensive players under Brian Billick. I hate to say it, but if he underperformance in 2017, it will be time to blow this team up and start anew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Manny said:

Watson is still overpaid but Flacco  is too selfish to even consider restructuring his deal. His me-first attitude mirrors the defensive players under Brian Billick. I hate to say it, but if he underperformance in 2017, it will be time to blow this team up and start anew.

Blow it up how? Regardless of how Flacco performs, he's not getting cut. Cutting him only results in a boatload of dead money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Blow it up how? Regardless of how Flacco performs, he's not getting cut. Cutting him only results in a boatload of dead money.

Take a year of purgatory to free ourselves from his disastrous contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Manny said:

Take a year of purgatory to free ourselves from his disastrous contract.

Has he lived up to the contract?  No, and he'd probably be the first to say it.  Disastrous?  That's quite an emotional stretch, if you ask me. 

Flacco hasn't been great, but the team around him hasn't either - and not because of his contract.  In 2013 he didn't take up that much space, but the team suffered a lot of injuries and just couldn't overcome them.  2014, ditto, still not taking up a ton of room, and he had a career best year.  They likely would have won another Superbowl that year had the secondary not been completely decimated by the playoffs.  2015 he was injured, and the defense blew a ton of games early that Flacco gave leads to.  2016 it clearly took him a while to get back into game-shape/rythmn, and he definitely didn't trust his knee early on.  The defense again, simimlary blew leads, and they missed the playoffs by a whisker thanks to that defense blowing a lead in Pittsburgh at the end of the season. 

Flacco hasn't been great, but objectively you have to consider how the defense couldn't close out games the past 3 years.  That is why Ozzie basically went nuts in the offseason on the defense. 

Either way, I suspect Flacco will restructure again, and free up some money, and soon.  Much like with Brady, or others, you won't hear about it until it's a done deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Manny said:

Take a year of purgatory to free ourselves from his disastrous contract.

We're stuck with that contract minus any restructuring he does.

If he plays lousy in 2017 and you release him you're looking at  carrying over $20M in dead money for 2018, $16M in 2019, $8M in 2020. He's signed through 2021, but the last year of the deal doesn't include any bonus money. I'm assuming that's a result of the last restructuring. 2020 and 2021 are the only years he can be released without major cap ramifications. Like it or not, we're stuck with him for the forseeable future.  Unless of course you want to become the Cleveland Browns for 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that there are some question marks surrounding Joe Flacco's play over the last several years, but he isn't going anywhere.  QB is the hardest position to get a good fit in the NFL.  Over the past 15 years, the AFC has won 10 superbowls.   There is only one QB not named Brady, Manning, or Roethlisberger that has a Super Bowl ring for the AFC.  And that is Joe Flacco.  What would the alternative be?  Ryan Mallet.  Please, don't make me laugh.  Mallet is a loser and has been since college.  That would be the quickest way for the Ravens to insure a long term decent into mediocrity.  The contract that Flacco has is probably inflated considering his overall talent.  He is not in the elite tier of QBs, but he is in that second level and has won a Super Bowl.  The Raven's FO has nobody but their selves to blame for overpaying.  They could have extended Flacco the year before at a cheaper price, but chose to wait.  When he had an incredible playoff run and won a Super Bowl his agent could basically name the contract and the Ravens had little choice but to pay.  Had they worked on an extension the year before, they may have gotten a more favorable contract and had more favorable cap numbers.  I'm still not sure why they didn't do that.  Where else were they going to go for a QB?  They went nearly a decade without a good QB.  They weren't about to start over at that point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Restructuring Flacco could be a disaster( I say could be?). Adding more years to his contract would be nuts if he does not produce. He is paid like an elite tier QB and everyone must admit he has not lived up to his elite status payment. The Ravens are one of the top franchises in the NFL and to take a risk, if lets say we do not make the playoffs again and changes have to be made. Cap hell is what would await us in 2018. The players,and coaches are well aware they are playing for their jobs in 2017. It would kill us if those changes are forced apron us and there is no cash to make the moves needed. It is time for the players, and coaches to live up to Raven style expectations of a wining team before raises or more seasons are added to any new or existing contract.

Edited by UTAH RAVEN
not finished

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, cprenegade said:

I agree that there are some question marks surrounding Joe Flacco's play over the last several years, but he isn't going anywhere.  QB is the hardest position to get a good fit in the NFL.  Over the past 15 years, the AFC has won 10 superbowls.   There is only one QB not named Brady, Manning, or Roethlisberger that has a Super Bowl ring for the AFC.  And that is Joe Flacco.  What would the alternative be?  Ryan Mallet.  Please, don't make me laugh.  Mallet is a loser and has been since college.  That would be the quickest way for the Ravens to insure a long term decent into mediocrity.  The contract that Flacco has is probably inflated considering his overall talent.  He is not in the elite tier of QBs, but he is in that second level and has won a Super Bowl.  The Raven's FO has nobody but their selves to blame for overpaying.  They could have extended Flacco the year before at a cheaper price, but chose to wait.  When he had an incredible playoff run and won a Super Bowl his agent could basically name the contract and the Ravens had little choice but to pay.  Had they worked on an extension the year before, they may have gotten a more favorable contract and had more favorable cap numbers.  I'm still not sure why they didn't do that.  Where else were they going to go for a QB?  They went nearly a decade without a good QB.  They weren't about to start over at that point.  

The Ravens and Flacco were reportedly close to a deal before the 2012 season. The team was said to be offering a package worth some $15 million per season with $35 million guaranteed, though the two sides supposedly couldn't agree on a final figure. Ultimately, Flacco balked at the offer, played out his option, and wound up landing a deal worth some $20 million per season with $52 million guaranteed. Of course, if he hadn't had that strong playoff run, or if the Ravens had exited the playoffs early or not qualified at all, he might have been happy to play for the Ravens' figure. Flacco had a decent year in 2012, but he wasn't any great shakes.

What also happened right about that time is that the salary cap flattened out considerably after the 2011 CBA. That's one reason why his first deal was so back-loaded, and why the Ravens had to do an extension after 2015 to gain cap relief. 

I guess the common thread in the Flacco contract negotiations is that the Ravens were, at least to some extent, victims of circumstance, while Flacco has most assuredly been the beneficiary.

Edited by mdrunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cprenegade said:

they worked on an extension the year before, they may have gotten a more favorable contract and had more favorable cap numbers.  I'm still not sure why they didn't do that.  Where else were they going to go for a QB?  They went nearly a decade without a good QB.  They weren't about to start over at that point.  

They gambled and lost. Up until that SB run, Flacco had average stats, even in the SB year. Take away that SB run and even as a franchise qb, he's a whole lot cheaper. If you can get away with paying your franchise qb $80M instead of $120M that's a win. They just didn't see the SB run coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

57 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

They just didn't see the SB run coming.

I saw it :D  Well, let me say, I saw it after they demolished the Giants at Met Life in the second to last week of the season.  They had suddenly gotten healthy.  There was all this talk of "Losing 2 out of the last 3 games" by the talking heads, and I remember thinking they must not have been watching the games, given the Bengals game they pulled their starters, and that against Denver, they had half of their starters out.  Then Ray goes on his "Last Ride" propaganda, and I started thinking, what a story it would be if they wind up winning it all?  I knew they could beat New England if they got another shot, and the Colts had no shot to beat us.  The roadblock was Denver, but after I saw how Flacco played against the Giants, then the Colts after sitting out the Bengals game, I was believing.  At halftime, I thought, the Ravens are the better team.  Broncos are only in this because of two runbacks on special teams.  Then they fell behind at the end, and I have to admit, I thought it was over...disappointed because I knew their window had closed - really - the 2011 team was far better, and so was the 2010 team.  Then Flacco comes up with one of the greatest plays in playoff history - not just because of the time, or the circumstance - but because he had to escape a collapsing pocket, with Von Miller coming right into his face, and made a play only Joe Flacco could make - firing a moonshot pass that came down like a punt into the unsure hands of Jacoby Jones.  Yup, he earned that contract right there.  After that play, I was 100% certain the Ravens were winning the SuperBowl.  No way were they losing again to the Pats, and no way was any NFC team even close to being a threat that year.

I don't think though, that anyone saw 11-0 TD to INT ratio coming ;)

Edited by alienrace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flacco is overpaid, but so are most QBs especially some of the scrubs that desperate teams signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0