Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
confused fan

Is Flacco more Concerned with having a Big Contract than Actually Winning Championships?

18 posts in this topic

Although Ben Watson did not play last season, he is the latest Raven to take a pay cut. Prior to getting injured Dennis Pitta agreed to a pay reduction. According to reports, Joe Flacco is going to count 24 million against the cap. Although there are a few factors contributing to the Ravens not making the playoffs that were outside of Flacco’s control, is he really playing like a 24 million a year quarterback? If Flacco takes a pay cut, you can bring a few more players that can have an impact on the Ravens for 2017.  It is the Raven’s fault for agreeing on the contract, but from a fan’s perspective if Flacco is not going to help take the Ravens to the Superbowl on the field (on a consistent basis) maybe he can help off the field.

He would be worth every dollar of that 24 mil if he comes back to form. I think the only way he takes a pay cut is if he gets a restructured contract. The Ravens would be foolish if they did that. Lets face it the Ravens are locked in with Flacco for better or worse and at 24 mil. Flacco should have a top tier defense this upcoming season. I say get him a few lineman when other teams make their cuts and roll the dice baby.If Flacco does not produce it will be his fault no excuses, and if he fails he could cost a lot of coaches and players to be ex Ravens.

11 hours ago, confused fan said:

Although Ben Watson did not play last season, he is the latest Raven to take a pay cut. Prior to getting injured Dennis Pitta agreed to a pay reduction. According to reports, Joe Flacco is going to count 24 million against the cap. Although there are a few factors contributing to the Ravens not making the playoffs that were outside of Flacco’s control, is he really playing like a 24 million a year quarterback? If Flacco takes a pay cut, you can bring a few more players that can have an impact on the Ravens for 2017.  It is the Raven’s fault for agreeing on the contract, but from a fan’s perspective if Flacco is not going to help take the Ravens to the Superbowl on the field (on a consistent basis) maybe he can help off the field.

You really need to work on your compare and contrast when making these types of posts.  Ben Watson is at the end of his career, signed with the Ravens last year and missed the entire season.  Of course he'll take a pay cut since he would have likely been released and the market for an aging tight end coming off injury is probably small.  Pitta took a pay cut considering he'd played in 7 games between 2013-15 right after signing a 5 year deal.

At least find a player who regularly plays and takes a pay cut.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

You really need to work on your compare and contrast when making these types of posts.  Ben Watson is at the end of his career, signed with the Ravens last year and missed the entire season.  Of course he'll take a pay cut since he would have likely been released and the market for an aging tight end coming off injury is probably small.  Pitta took a pay cut considering he'd played in 7 games between 2013-15 right after signing a 5 year deal.

At least find a player who regularly plays and takes a pay cut.  :rolleyes:

Well, he certainly has been living up to his moniker :)

Why has there been ZERO talk about restructuring Flacco's deal? Tom Brady has really helped the Patriots cap by restructuring several times.

Is Flacco selfish?

59 minutes ago, Rob said:

Why has there been ZERO talk about restructuring Flacco's deal? Tom Brady has really helped the Patriots cap by restructuring several times.

Is Flacco selfish?

As I recall there was no talk about the last restructure until it was done.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Is Flacco selfish?

I thought Flacco just restructured his deal just last year or the year before. If this is indeed the case, should he restructure his deal every year or two? 

From what I read, Brady's deal includes the team sending players to his rehab clinic to compensate for the lack of money going against the cap. The team even sends players there when doctors and trainers say it isn't necessary 

Flacco did not restructure his last contract. It was an extension with $66 million in new money.

1 hour ago, dunning said:

Flacco did not restructure his last contract. It was an extension with $66 million in new money.

That is right. I would not give him more cash till he proves he can win again. Most elite QB's could work with the offence Flacco has.. He will have an upgraded defense this year that is an upgraded D from last year who lost games in the 4th Quarter. 

12 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Forgive me of my ignorance but going by what you said, am I to believe Zflacco is looking at a 186 million dollar contract? 

13 hours ago, mdrunning said:

45 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Forgive me of my ignorance but going by what you said, am I to believe Zflacco is looking at a 186 million dollar contract? 

It was an extension to lower his cap number which was a defacto restructuring. Technically however it was an extension

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

It was an extension to lower his cap number which was a defacto restructuring. Technically however it was an extension

Edited by RavingManiac

Scary thing is by next year Flaccos contract may well be considered a bargain. NFL QB salaries are about to go up. I know the skins want to sign Cousins long term( He might just get a boat load of cash). Then there is  Carr he wants a huge contract, then there is Bree's ect. The simple fact is QBs get the larger percentage of teams salary cap.

Not sure how Brady's contract works, Iam just a Ravens homer and think that dude is a devious sob.

7 hours ago, UTAH RAVEN said:

Not sure how Brady's contract works, Iam just a Ravens homer and think that dude is a devious sob.

Brady's cap # for 2017 is $14M. Flacco's is $24.5. Yeah Brady is devious. :rolleyes:

Sticking to the Watson and Pitta comparisons for a moment... one is a 36 year-old TE coming off a missed season due to a torn Achilles, and the other is a 31 year-old TE with two major hip injuries (and now a 3rd).  If you're those guys and a team comes to you and says, "We'd like to restructure your deal, or we're not sure we can keep you on the roster"... you probably have to consider your chances of even getting another deal with guaranteed money AT ALL from another team.  Maybe you don't care about playing anymore, so you say no and cash out whatever they are already forced to give you. Or maybe you want to keep playing so you go along with it.

There's a bit of a difference between a guy who might have to hold out a "will work for food" sign if he's released, and a guy who would have at least half a dozen teams begging him to come in for a talk to be their starting QB.

Brady is a different animal.  You just sort of have to let that one go...

IMO, to suggest Flacco is "more Concerned with having a Big Contract than Actually Winning Championships," is pretty small thinking. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. To win a championship I think you need a big-time QB, and chances are that individual will have at some point in their career a big, unreasonable looking contract. Has Joe shown since the contract all that we might have hoped? No, not consistently at least, notwithstanding a severe leg injury and some inconsistent team support. Seeing him get it all together for a season or at least a playoff run would put discussion of his contract off the board. This also requires getting it all together from everyone from Head Coach to  coordinators, from stars to bottom of the depth chart, at least as much as possible and at the right time. It could happen. It sure would help if a solid OL gels.

You only have to look at the last play of the last game VS Steelers to see how concerned he is about winning.  Instead of a Hail Mary or laterals  he dumps off a short pass that is intercepted.