Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zenwalk

delete

66 posts in this topic

Amazing how congenial this forum can be, when political discourse is removed. 

On 6/17/2017 at 6:47 PM, songfourone said:

They both sound pretty good, but that is coming from someone who just had Reuben eggrolls at Irish Eyes....

;)

I've had them before, can't remember where but we love them ......

Had an open face rueben at the Carnegie this past December a few days before they closed their doors for good ....

Don't know what I expected for $29.95 but it could have fed a small family :) ....

On 6/17/2017 at 7:15 PM, volperdinger said:

On 6/17/2017 at 7:15 PM, volperdinger said:

Amazing how congenial this forum can be, when political discourse is removed. 

Yup.  
Also amazing how bad seafood can be in Colorado.  I actually ordered crab cakes for fathers day, along with an "Ahi Tower" and some kind of sea food platter.  I should have gone for the chili.  

You guys are lucky with the seafood, but probably don't get buffalo filet that often.  But I bet buffalo travels better than crab.  

4 hours ago, jdsample said:

Yup.  
Also amazing how bad seafood can be in Colorado.  I actually ordered crab cakes for fathers day, along with an "Ahi Tower" and some kind of sea food platter.  I should have gone for the chili.  

You guys are lucky with the seafood, but probably don't get buffalo filet that often.  But I bet buffalo travels better than crab.  

Some farms raise bison locally. Hard to farm crabs in Colorado! :P

My rule of thumb is simple. Once I cross the MD border, I never order crab cakes. 

1 hour ago, mlatoman said:

Some farms raise bison locally. Hard to farm crabs in Colorado! :P

My rule of thumb is simple. Once I cross the MD border, I never order crab cakes. 

A lot of places have them as appetizers, small little things more like coddies.....

I've dropped $10 in a dozen states just to see what they are calling MD crab cakes .....

It's interesting to say the least .....

Usually has some sort of aoli....

I enjoy all foods on their on merits and try not to get hung up on how it's different . ...

2 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

A lot of places have them as appetizers, small little things more like coddies.....

I've dropped $10 in a dozen states just to see what they are calling MD crab cakes .....

It's interesting to say the least .....

Usually has some sort of aoli....

I enjoy all foods on their on merits and try not to get hung up on how it's different . ...

My opinion: call 'em crabcakes. Don't label them as Maryland crabcakes, when they clearly aren't lol. No mango salsa or red pepper aioli with my crabcakes please! :P

While in Maiine I tried their steamed shrimp, yuck, they were boiled with no seasonings whatsoever.

I was on vacation with my sisters and the menu said "Maryland crab cakes" so my sister asked the waiter if they were really Maryland crab cakes because we were from Maryland.  The waiter told her not to bother ordering them.

14 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

While in Maiine I tried their steamed shrimp, yuck, they were boiled with no seasonings whatsoever.

I was on vacation with my sisters and the menu said "Maryland crab cakes" so my sister asked the waiter if they were really Maryland crab cakes because we were from Maryland.  The waiter told her not to bother ordering them.

I had the same thing happen in s.carolina. 

Bull and oyster roasts seem to be a peculiarly local thing as well.....sno-balls also.

Posted (edited)

On 6/17/2017 at 11:32 AM, songfourone said:

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name Pannhaas or "pan rabbit",[1][2] is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as an American food of the Mid-Atlantic states (Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia). Scrapple and panhaas are commonly considered an ethnic food of the Pennsylvania Dutch, including the Mennonites and Amish. Scrapple is found in supermarkets throughout the region in both fresh and frozen refrigerated cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

The more common definition of scrapple, when folks are asked whats' in it, is "everything but the squeal". It is a mid-Atlantic delicacy! Whenever I go out for breakfast and it is on the menu I order it (my wife hates it so we don't cook it at home - plus it is very hard to get it nice and crispy when all you can do is try to pan fry it). If you go to the Ballpark Restaurant on Conowingo Road, just north of Bel Air and order it you get two slices! Yum! :D

Edited by Papi

2 minutes ago, Papi said:

The more common definition of scrapple, when folks are asked whats in it, is "everything but the squeal". It is a mid-Atlantic delicacy! Whenever I go out for breakfast and it is on the menu I order it (my wife hates it so we don't cook it at home - plus it is very hard to get it nice and crispy when all you can do is try to pan fry it). If you go to the Ballpark Restaurant on Conawingo Road, just north of Bel Air and order it you get two slices! Yum! :D

The Aberdeen dinner also has it on their menu and it was nice and crispy the last time I had it there.

My husband doesn't like it but our sons and I do so when the sons are home for breakfast (unfortunately not very often now-a-days) I make scrapple and banana pancakes.

12 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

The Aberdeen dinner also has it on their menu and it was nice and crispy the last time I had it there.

My husband doesn't like it but our sons and I do so when the sons are home for breakfast (unfortunately not very often now-a-days) I make scrapple and banana pancakes.

Sounds delicious. Some folks put maple syrup on their scrapple - but I like ketchup on mine (and have been told by scrapple purists that it is heresy to do so). :lol:

8 minutes ago, Papi said:

Sounds delicious. Some folks put maple syrup on their scrapple - but I like ketchup on mine (and have been told by scrapple purists that it is heresy to do so). :lol:

I put ketchup on mine too :lol:

2 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

I put ketchup on mine too :lol:

I suppose we will meet some day in scrapple purgatory, if the purists are correct. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Papi said:

I suppose we will meet some day in scrapple purgatory, if the purists are correct. :lol:

You may be right!! :lol::lol:

In Philly, I used to get the breakfast "special".  Egg, scrapple, sausage and bacon on a Kaiser with cheese. 

A heart attack on a roll for sure. But go-ood! 

8 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

In Philly, I used to get the breakfast "special".  Egg, scrapple, sausage and bacon on a Kaiser with cheese. 

A heart attack on a roll for sure. But go-ood! 

That sounds like my type of breakfast!