Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

I think this is the worst pitching staff I've ever seen

30 posts in this topic

Top to bottom.  Starters to relievers.  Everyone is freaking terrible outside of Brach and maybe Bundy.

This team is a joke, and I'm sick of seeing this same collection of players together.  Blow the whole thing up already.  This is bloody painful to behold.

7 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

Top to bottom.  Starters to relievers.  Everyone is freaking terrible outside of Brach and maybe Bundy.

This team is a joke, and I'm sick of seeing this same collection of players together.  Blow the whole thing up already.  This is bloody painful to behold.

Wallace and Chiti were miracle workers it seems.

At some point in time you have to start wondering about the Orioles handling of pitchers.  Guasman was not that bad the last two years.  Tillman was not that bad, but he may be hurt.  Jiminez actually pitched well the second half of last year, and now he seems to have regressed back to his old habits and nobody does anything about it.  I give Bundy another year and he will probably be a 5+ era pitcher if he stays here.  Is there nobody in this organization that can work with pitchers and help develop them?  And then you have guys like Arrieta who leave and suddenly become aces.   It really just all points to the fact that the Orioles handling of pitchers really sucks.  

Posted (edited)

On 6/16/2017 at 9:35 PM, Slidemaster said:

You're right, Slide. Spot on!!!

Edited by pitbull

45 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

At some point in time you have to start wondering about the Orioles handling of pitchers.  Guasman was not that bad the last two years.  Tillman was not that bad, but he may be hurt.  Jiminez actually pitched well the second half of last year, and now he seems to have regressed back to his old habits and nobody does anything about it.  I give Bundy another year and he will probably be a 5+ era pitcher if he stays here.  Is there nobody in this organization that can work with pitchers and help develop them?  And then you have guys like Arrieta who leave and suddenly become aces.   It really just all points to the fact that the Orioles handling of pitchers really sucks.  

At some point? Everyone's known they can't develop squat, pitching OR hitting but mostly pitching for about twenty five years. Everyone who comes here with a clue on how to pitch regresses themselves out of baseball it seems. I can only imagine what happens to Bundy. That's the fundamental flaw with this organization. Their inability to develop pitchers. Been that way since, ohhhh, 1990. 

Posted (edited)

This all or nothing offense isn't any better than the pitching. Yeah we look good when we hit 4 homers in a game but no pitching can make up for what this offense brings to the table far too often. Winning more games than any other team in 5 years is commendable but to truly be a title contender this organization needs a change in offensive and pitching philosophies. Homers, defense and a great bullpen have gotten us as far as we can go but when all 3 aren't clicking at the same time this team is dreadful. Better starting pitching and a more consistent offense are where this organization needs to focus.

Edited by 85Knight

Posted (edited)

How you could enter the season with Miley and Ubaldo in the rotation is beyond me. And this is coming from someone who thought Ubaldo could continue his success from the second half of last year. When you consider Tillman was hurt in December, it becomes even more reprehensible. How this team started 22-10 is up there with how the universe was created. 

Duquette's wack pack of pitching acquisitions should get him fired.

Edited by Pickle20

On 6/16/2017 at 9:35 PM, Slidemaster said:

And most of on here knew this coming into the season, yet the Front Office won't do anything about it.

26 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

How you could enter the season with Miley and Ubaldo in the rotation is beyond me. And this is coming from someone who thought Ubaldo could continue his success from the second half of last year. When you consider Tillman was hurt in December, it becomes even more reprehensible. How this team started 22-10 is up there with how the universe was created. 

Duquette's wack pack of pitching acquisitions should get him fired.

And however anyone wants to slice it the departure of Wallace and Chiti looks like it has had a huge impact.  We could of at least kept Chiti, for some continuity.  But no Brady put his thumb in the soup and DD couldn't refused to pick up the phone.  And Buck sat there on his hands.  These three wouldn't know good pitching if it bit them on the rear end.  Just a disgusting way to run a team.

Just now, pitbull said:

And most of on here knew this coming into the season, yet the Front Office won't do anything about it.

Agreed, what FAs and/or trades would you have made?

1 minute ago, weird-O said:

Agreed, what FAs and/or trades would you have made?

That's the problem.  The FA pitching market for starters was dreadful.  And we had almost nothing to trade other than Mancini and Sisco. 

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

That's the problem.  The FA pitching market for starters was dreadful.  And we had almost nothing to trade other than Mancini and Sisco. 

Well for starters you could have held onto the decent prospects you traded for nothing and kept Gonzalez and Miranda.

They should be bullish on their own pitching prospects but they've traded them on a whim for AAAA fodder. But therein lies the Catch-22...they can't develop pitching.

Edited by Pickle20

3 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Well for starters you could have held onto the decent prospects you traded for nothing and kept Gonzalez and Miranda.

They should be bullish on their own pitching prospects but they've traded them on a whim for AAAA fodder. But therein lies the Catch-22...they can't develop pitching.

Agree.  The Miranda deal shows how inept the O's are on evaluating pitching talent. 

20 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Arm-chair quarterbacking. I don't know what the equivalent is in baseball. Maybe it was time for Seattle to get the better of at least one of the deals with the Orioles. And is Miranda anything special? And with Gonzalez, it was definitely a salary dump. But at the time his velocity was down, he had a poor second half the previous year and a dreadful Spring Training. In hindsight of course the Orioles would have liked to have those two...

...in hindsight. You don't get to press the rewind button and do it over again.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Arm-chair quarterbacking. I don't know what the equivalent is in baseball. Maybe it was time for Seattle to get the better of at least one of the deals with the Orioles. And is Miranda anything special? And with Gonzalez, it was definitely a salary dump. But at the time his velocity was down, he had a poor second half the previous year and a dreadful Spring Training. In hindsight of course the Orioles would have liked to have those two...

I just looked at Gonzalez's stats. They are quite awful. ERA at 5.49; WHIP is 1.5; he has given up more earned runs than he has strikeouts (45 Ks/48 ER in 78 IP) . If he were on the Orioles he would be part of the "worst pitching staff ever seen."

Edited by ncbirdfan

26 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Personally, I can say with certainty, that I saw the Miley trade as a bust, the minute it was announced. When that trade was being floated, I disapproved, because Miley got owned by the AL east, when he was with Boston. I think I have a balanced opinion of DD. But this was a disastrous trade. Not because of who they gave up., but because of who they acquired. DD coveted Miley for a long time, and he was going to get him, no matter how crappy he was. So no, Miranda isn't anything special. But a rag arm in the minors is less harmful than Miley being with the O's. Look at Miranda's stats, then imagine his stats, if he pitched in the east. I wouldn't want to see that gas can trying to pitch in the Yard.     

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

That's what  I was thinking too. That's why I was curious about who Pitbull would have acquired. Moaning is easy, but if you don't offer a solution, then moaning is just boring. Especially when the same moan is offered up, in every post. 

2 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Personally, I can say with certainty, that I saw the Miley trade as a bust, the minute it was announced. When that trade was being floated, I disapproved, because Miley got owned by the AL east, when he was with Boston. I think I have a balanced opinion of DD. But this was a disastrous trade. Not because of who they gave up., but because of who they acquired. DD coveted Miley for a long time, and he was going to get him, no matter how crappy he was. So no, Miranda isn't anything special. But a rag arm in the minors is less harmful than Miley being with the O's. Look at Miranda's stats, then imagine his stats, if he pitched in the east. I wouldn't want to see that gas can trying to pitch in the Yard.     

I agree and I was just replying to the post that made it sound like the players that were traded were somehow CY Young pitchers now (I know this will start Arrieta replies :D ).

On a side note, the Orioles might as some point have to make the decision to shut down Bundy (or at least give him a good break).

1 minute ago, weird-O said:

That's what  I was thinking too. That's why I was curious about who Pitbull would have acquired. Moaning is easy, but if you don't offer a solution, then moaning is just boring. Especially when the same moan is offered up, in every post. 

I believe a lot of the problem is that Angelos does not want to put the money into the minors  or with scouting/development. Any GM would have a difficult time building up a decent farm system with the current ownership.

26 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I believe a lot of the problem is that Angelos does not want to put the money into the minors  or with scouting/development. Any GM would have a difficult time building up a decent farm system with the current ownership.

Look how long it took him to commit to a MLB caliber, spring training facility. The guy just doesn't get it.   

Miley has actually been passable.

Overall, at what point do you start firing people? There's something going on here. Look at all the pitching coaches we have gone through over the past couple of years. One guy even left in the middle of the season. Is it that pitching coaches can't stand Buck or is it that they can't figure out how to coach these pitchers?

I'm kinda rooting for them to beat the 1920-whatever Phillies' record!

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

There's also horrible investments in international drafts/scouting/players.

At one point I think Melvin Mora was going to try and help them in Venezuela but they just don't spend the money there.

Edited by JoyinMudville

32 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Miley has actually been passable.

Overall, at what point do you start firing people? There's something going on here. Look at all the pitching coaches we have gone through over the past couple of years. One guy even left in the middle of the season. Is it that pitching coaches can't stand Buck or is it that they can't figure out how to coach these pitchers?

Under normal circumstances, people would get fired when you've had the track record developing pitching (and talent) that we've had during the last 20+ years.

However, you've got an owner who prefers yes men over people actually good at their jobs. 

The coaches and scouts in our system may be good people and trying their hardest, but it's not working.

It's business 101. When performance goes to crap, heads should roll.

But I seriously doubt they will here. Not any time soon.