Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Why Does Big Dan Have a Job?

25 posts in this topic

Can anyone seriously answer this question?

He's the only person who'd work for Pete?

i honestly don't know what you'll do when he leaves though. So enjoy it while it lasts. 

2 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

He's the only person who'd work for Pete?

i honestly don't know what you'll do when he leaves though. So enjoy it while it lasts. 

?????

i have been here for 15 years.

1 hour ago, pitbull said:

Hmmm....having the best combined W-L record in the AL East the past 5 years?

He's won pretty much wherever he's been? I certainly don't put him up there with the greatest GMs of all time, but he sure as hell isn't the worst.

It's hard enough getting competent executives here to work under Angelos. Making heads roll after one bad (OK, bordering on horrendous) stretch is only going to compound that problem. Duquette will be gone one day, either under his own terms or not and someone is going to have to replace him. Potential candidates are going to take note of hair-trigger reactions from ownership. 

Accountability begins at the top. In my opinion, Big Dan doesn't have much time remaining...

Too bad Syd Thrift isn't available to make everyone happy again.

11 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

Hmmm....having the best combined W-L record in the AL East the past 5 years?

That and $6 will get you a Starbucks coffee.

Posted (edited)

Time to blow it up.  I said before that keeping Manny was going to be the test of whether they were serious about winning but, knowing that they won't keep him, they should trade him right now and get a raft of pitchers.  That's much better than making some non-competitive offer and seeing him go to the Yankees.  Find some NL team and make a deal.  Heck, at this point, I'd look to move Davis, too.  Let Mancini take over first for now.  This team is going nowhere fast so they may as well get the overhaul started.  

Edited by veritas

Only two teams in the AL have worse records!!!

It is time to can this buffoon!

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, pitbull said:

I understand you think in terms all all things negative when it comes to the Orioles, but so what! The Orioles are only 2 games out of the Wildcard spot and still in the mix. While it's true that there are currently only two teams with worse records in the AL ( 3 others have identical records with the Orioles), there are 10 teams (including the Orioles) with only 3 wins separating them. In other words, your statement is misinformed.

Edited by ncbirdfan

The Orioles have been outscored 112-61 in June.

2 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

I understand you think in terms all all things negative when it comes to the Orioles, but so what! The Orioles are only 2 games out of the Wildcard spot and still in the mix. While it's true that there are currently only two teams with worse records in the AL ( 3 others have identical records with the Orioles), there are 10 teams (including the Orioles) with only 3 wins separating them. In other words, your statement is misinformed.

?????

Evidently, you don't read any of my posts.

DD gets a B+ from me. Remember his boss is difficult. He can't sign $$$ free agent pitchers. Should they rebuild, yes, but the team assets are weak. The Nats would love Zack but he hasn't pitched in 2 months. Davis and his contract are here to stay. Miley and UJ are not good so no one wants them, unless they get hot the next 6 weeks. Hardy- move him but where. 

Pray another team has an injury and gets in a jam. 

The O's are like a flea market, some has to want the stuff/junk you have.

10 hours ago, pitbull said:

The Cubs have the same record as the Orioles. Should they can Theo Epstein? 

11 hours ago, veritas said:

Time to blow it up.  I said before that keeping Manny was going to be the test of whether they were serious about winning but, knowing that they won't keep him, they should trade him right now and get a raft of pitchers.  That's much better than making some non-competitive offer and seeing him go to the Yankees.  Find some NL team and make a deal.  Heck, at this point, I'd look to move Davis, too.  Let Mancini take over first for now.  This team is going nowhere fast so they may as well get the overhaul started.  

Davis isn't going anywhere with that contract. 

14 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Davis isn't going anywhere with that contract. 

Which is too bad. He was sentimental signing but in retrospect it didn't really make sense with Mancini and Walker knocking on the door.

43 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Which is too bad. He was sentimental signing but in retrospect it didn't really make sense with Mancini and Walker knocking on the door.

I agree. (Well, I'm not sure if Walker was a bona fide major-league prospect.) My immediate reaction, however, when I heard of the Davis signing was that it was good in the respect that at least the Orioles were willing to spend money. What I didn't like was that it was clear the Orioles had brought back Davis not on their terms, but on his (well, on Scott Boras's terms).

It's unclear how many suitors Davis actually had, but in cases such as this, coming in second is probably the best thing which could have happened.

1 hour ago, JoyinMudville said:

In hindsight, shoulda kept Cruz and said bye bye to Chris Davis.

On 6/17/2017 at 0:47 PM, pitbull said:

Two days later, now 6 teams have worse records.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, ncbirdfan said:

As per normal

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:13 PM, pitbull said:

Yeah DD has pulled some boners for sure, but I find it hard to lay all the blame at his feet when you have Pete,  the Baby A's , Brady and Buck with their thumbs in the soup.  I mean the FO structure would make it very difficult to make all the moves you really want to make.  And the O's record the last 5 years has been really good.  So its been working somehow. But there have been a couple big moves that have come home to roost this year coupled with some devastating injuries have  tanked this team.  The Big moves that are killing this team are Davis,  failed starting pitching moves (UJ, Gallardo and Miley to some degree) and the poisoned Wallace/Chiti relationship.  DD will be more than happy to move on after 2018.

40 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

How many seasons will the next GM have to deliver a WS title?

As many as he wants as long as he lets Pete , the Babys, Brady and Buck play in the GM sand box.  Next GM will probably be Brady if Buck wants to keep managing.  If Buck is ready to slow down then it might be Buck.  But it will still be the committee approach and no top flight GM will touch that job with the other thumbs in the soup.

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

How many seasons will the next GM have to deliver a WS title?

Lack of continuity in the position is certainly the way to get there.