Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zenwalk

The Surprising Number of American Adults Who Think Chocolate Milk Comes From Brown Cows

16 posts in this topic

This could explain a lot of things.

Seven percent of all American adults believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a nationally representative online survey commissioned by the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy.

If you do the math, that works out to 16.4 million misinformed, milk-drinking people. The equivalent of the population of Pennsylvania (and then some!) does not know that chocolate milk is milk, cocoa and sugar.

http://www.greensboro.com/news/us_world/the-surprising-number-of-us-adults-who-think-chocolate-milk/article_3794c777-9723-5d59-a228-e80dbbaee590.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda wish it were true to be honest. Seems sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone knows chocolate milk comes from the Easter Bunny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zenwalk said:

This could explain a lot of things.

Seven percent of all American adults believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a nationally representative online survey commissioned by the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy.

If you do the math, that works out to 16.4 million misinformed, milk-drinking people. The equivalent of the population of Pennsylvania (and then some!) does not know that chocolate milk is milk, cocoa and sugar.

http://www.greensboro.com/news/us_world/the-surprising-number-of-us-adults-who-think-chocolate-milk/article_3794c777-9723-5d59-a228-e80dbbaee590.html

I find that hard to believe and maybe people who responded did so jokingly. Now, strawberry milk does come from pink cows; but that's for another thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How? Now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is not really surprising, the only thing that surprises me is that the number is not higher.  I have overheard people arguing that chocolate milk is made by feeding chocolate to cows, or that strawberry milk is similarly made by feeding strawberries to cows.  My late father once recalled some workmates of his arguing that raisins are grown as raisins, not dried from grapes.  This is an the inevitable result of a highly urban society where few people have any relationship with farms or farmers, even in their most remotely extended family networks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An even more surprising number voted for our President. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kandace said:

That is not really surprising, the only thing that surprises me is that the number is not higher.  I have overheard people arguing that chocolate milk is made by feeding chocolate to cows, or that strawberry milk is similarly made by feeding strawberries to cows.  My late father once recalled some workmates of his arguing that raisins are grown as raisins, not dried from grapes.  This is an the inevitable result of a highly urban society where few people have any relationship with farms or farmers, even in their most remotely extended family networks. 

Yes, we've drifted away from knowing the source of our food largely because the industry probably likes it that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

52 minutes ago, kandace said:

That is not really surprising, the only thing that surprises me is that the number is not higher.  I have overheard people arguing that chocolate milk is made by feeding chocolate to cows, or that strawberry milk is similarly made by feeding strawberries to cows.  My late father once recalled some workmates of his arguing that raisins are grown as raisins, not dried from grapes.  This is an the inevitable result of a highly urban society where few people have any relationship with farms or farmers, even in their most remotely extended family networks. 

 

39 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

Yes, we've drifted away from knowing the source of our food largely because the industry probably likes it that way. 

So true.  It used to be that every major city had farms that ringed its countryside and fed it.  Now much of our nations fruits and vegetables are grown in one state: California.  here is an excerpt from a 2008 Slate article:

California produces a sizable majority of many American fruits, vegetables, and nuts: 99 percent of artichokes, 99 percent of walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis, 97 percent of plums, 95 percent of celery, 95 percent of garlic, 89 percent of cauliflower, 71 percent of spinach, and 69 percent of carrots (and the list goes on and on). Some of this is due to climate and soil. No other state, or even a combination of states, can match California’s output per acre. Lemon yields in California, for example, are more than 50 percent higher than in Arizona. California spinach yield per acre is 60 percent higher than the national average.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Nothing has substantially changed since the article was written.

Edited by kandace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess chocolate milk shakes come from really cold brown cows.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, veritas said:

I guess chocolate milk shakes come from really cold brown cows.:)

Great. Now I have a craving for a chocolate shake...😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll bet a lot of them attend Flat Earth Society meetings -- and Bernie Sanders/Elizabeth Warren rallies!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

I find that hard to believe and maybe people who responded did so jokingly. Now, strawberry milk does come from pink cows; but that's for another thread.

Of course they answered jokingly. Wouldn't you? Just like the jokes started on here. 

 

1 hour ago, regularguy said:

An even more surprising number voted for our President. ;)

Wow, you can literally connect anything to Trump, can't you? :rolleyes:

 

 

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 6/17/2017 at 0:36 PM, zenwalk said:

Everyone knows chocolate milk comes from the Easter Bunny.

No, that's where liberal polices come from. :lol:

Edited by Papi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am worried about the younger generation watching the movie Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2017 at 9:56 AM, zenwalk said:

This could explain a lot of things.

Seven percent of all American adults believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a nationally representative online survey commissioned by the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy.

If you do the math, that works out to 16.4 million misinformed, milk-drinking people. The equivalent of the population of Pennsylvania (and then some!) does not know that chocolate milk is milk, cocoa and sugar.

http://www.greensboro.com/news/us_world/the-surprising-number-of-us-adults-who-think-chocolate-milk/article_3794c777-9723-5d59-a228-e80dbbaee590.html

 

Are you sure they are misinformed?  I have a black cow that makes licorice-flavored milk, and a white and brown cow that alternates between chocolate and vanilla.  But I am lactose intolerant and plan a BBQ for both cows.  That should be interesting.  I never had a steak made out of white meat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0