Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dshawg1

We MUST trade Manny-no choice really

19 posts in this topic

I love Manny but not really a decision. No player is worth the risk of $30-$50 million a year unless you are a huge market like NY or LA, just the economics of baseball.

Plus, our system is depleted as we all know and Manny plays in a position more prone to injury. Much of his value is his defense which could take a turn with a bad injury.

He might be great his whole contract but very unlikely and Baltimore isn't a team that can afford the risk.

The time for a rebuild is now. Manny can wait until the offseason but other pieces must be dealt now.

3 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

I love Manny but not really a decision. No player is worth the risk of $30-$50 million a year unless you are a huge market like NY or LA, just the economics of baseball.

Plus, our system is depleted as we all know and Manny plays in a position more prone to injury. Much of his value is his defense which could take a turn with a bad injury.

He might be great his whole contract but very unlikely and Baltimore isn't a team that can afford the risk.

The time for a rebuild is now. Manny can wait until the offseason but other pieces must be dealt now.

Actually now is the best time to move him, a team get 1 1/2 of him. 

I'd keep him but start the contract process now. Plus which team has 4-5 top players to give up? 

4 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

Actually now is the best time to move him, a team get 1 1/2 of him. 

I'd keep him but start the contract process now. Plus which team has 4-5 top players to give up? 

Perhaps, but remember Tampa traded David Price to Detroit at the deadline in 2014 when he still had another season to go before free agency. The Tigers then traded him to Toronto at the deadline the following year and arguably got more in return than did Tampa.

6 minutes ago, dunning said:

Perhaps, but remember Tampa traded David Price to Detroit at the deadline in 2014 when he still had another season to go before free agency. The Tigers then traded him to Toronto at the deadline the following year and arguably got more in return than did Tampa.

True fact, but the Orioles should still listen to trade offers from other teams. I would guess the Yankees would want him an maybe pay a decent bounty of talent.

13 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

If you are going to rebuild, Manny is one of the pieces that should be dealt sooner than later.

The problem is that the Orioles are two games out of the second wild card slot, and their most attractive trade piece is underperforming offensively. ( slash line .215/.286/.427)

His OPS is .713 right now which is 100 points below his lifetime number. The best hope for a quicker rebuild is for Manny to get hot over the next several weeks and for the 

team to slide about six games back in the wild card standings. I doubt that both of these things happen. ( If Manny gets hot, the team will be more of a contender.)

I do not think that the Orioles will blow up the team if they are in the wild card hunt in July. I can see them making moves to bring in a starting pitcher and reliever to shore up

the pitching staff.  My hope is that the Machado can get his offensive numbers closer to his career norms and move him in the offseason. Further, the Orioles trade pieces on

the major league roster are limited ( Britton is injured, Davis is injured and has a bad contract, Trumbo can veto a trade to seven teams, Hardy has zero trade value, etc.), 

and their most attractive pieces ( Mancini, Schoop) are most likely the type of players that you want as part of your rebuild or retool .IMO,. If Manny is dealt during the seaso

the  Orioles will be receiving players in return to help them with a playoff push rather than the start of a rebuilding process.  

10 hours ago, UTAH RAVEN said:

True fact, but the Orioles should still listen to trade offers from other teams. I would guess the Yankees would want him an maybe pay a decent bounty of talent.

•  
  • https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
  • One Nationals source says the team thinks the Dodgers could be Washington’s biggest competition for Bryce Harper when the star outfielder reaches free agency after the 2018 season.  Harper has seemingly been linked to the Yankees for years, though as Heyman notes, Aaron Judge’s emergence in right field could mean that New York instead pursues Manny Machado first among the star-studded 2018-19 free agent class before looking into Harper.  Then again, if the Yankees are able to “get below the [luxury tax] threshold, there’s no telling what they may try to do” that winter, given how their tax penalty clock will be reset just as multiple superstar players will hit the open market.

Manny's not going anywhere :D Maybe next year. 

According to MLB The Show 18 you can trade Manny to the dodgers for Bellinger Sheffield and Puig 

Just hit square Dan

5 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

According to MLB The Show 18 you can trade Manny to the dodgers for Bellinger Sheffield and Puig 

Just hit square Dan

Just say NO to Puig!!!!!! If I was the dodgers I'd give the O's some other junk too. 

16 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

Just say NO to Puig!!!!!! If I was the dodgers I'd give the O's some other junk too. 

Lol

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Lol

Yeah-well that is a joke of an offer and nobody wants Puig. LOL. 

Well-this board is smarter than most. Most understand that even though our hearts want us to keep Manny-we just can't. MAYBE if we wouldn't have signed Davis but...no way now.

And yes I agree with all of you, at the deadline would be best BUT DD is still here and he isn't the GM for that-so I think he gets traded in the offseason by someone else (DD leaves).

May as well move Manny to SS now.

Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy’s wrist is “not good” after he took a 93 mph Lance Lynn fastball off it Sunday, manager Buck Showalter told reporters (via Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com). “We took an X-ray here, saw something that concerned us,” continued Showalter. “I know he’s got a scan in the morning and we’ll have a little more definitive idea there.” It’s likely Hardy will head to the disabled list, per Kubatko, meaning the Orioles would have two regular infielders on the DL (first baseman Chris Davis is the other). Ruben Tejada, Paul Janish and Luis Sardinas are the in-house options to fill in for Hardy, notes Kubatko, though Tejada’s the only one on Baltimore’s 40-man roster. The 34-year-old Hardy isn’t exactly an irreplaceable cog at this stage of his career, evidenced by his .211/.248/.308 batting line in 239 plate appearances. The only qualified hitter with a worse wRC+ than Hardy’s (43) is Royals shortstop Alcides Escobar (19).

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, dshawg1 said:

I think I'd wait to the off season before making a move.  You could try one last time to do an extension.  If that doesn't pan out open the market up.  You have way more teams to work with in the off season.  Plus with Manny having such a poor year, maybe you don't get full value right now.

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I think I'd wait to the off season before making a move.  You could try one last time to do an extension.  If that doesn't pan out open the market up.  You have way more teams to work with in the off season.  Plus with Manny having such a poor year, maybe you don't get full value right now.

I don't think his offensive dip is going to impact a trade. 

I would still like to sign him to a long term deal that includes a opt out after 4-5 years.

However, I would also be OK trading him for a package of players that could essentially be the core of the team in the way that Jones/Machado/Davis/Schoop/Tillman/Britton/etc... have been the core since 2012.

But the easiest way to consistently be competitive is to draft and develop players -- something the O's have never been good at during my 30+ years as a fan. You shouldn't have to trade the best player you've developed in 30 years to make up for sucking at developing players and for not being smart in other areas.

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

I don't think his offensive dip is going to impact a trade. 

Maybe, maybe not.  Its a moot point cause Petey won't throw towel in even if we are 10 or 12 out of WC chase. Teams aren't stupid and they see some serious flaws in Manny's approach at the plate.  He fell in love with the home run and is doing his Crush upper cut impression.  He has been downright lousy this year.  And I think his consistency with the glove has suffered as well.  His head isn't in the game sometimes.  lackadaisical is the best word I can come up with.

With all that being said, I think you get your biggest haul this winter.  But if DD and Pete had the stones to deal him to the Yanks in July, you would get your kings ransom of prospects.

Here is another long shot.  If Manny continues to be lousy this year, would he take a little less on a hometown discount this year.  Or risk a second consecutive crap year that would hurt his value in the open market at the end of 2018.  If he hits .210 for two years in a row, is he really a 30-35mil/yr player???  Just food for thought.

4 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Its a moot point cause Petey won't throw towel in even if we are 10 or 12 out of WC chase. Teams aren't stupid and they see some serious flaws in Manny's approach at the plate.  He fell in love with the home run and is doing his Crush upper cut impression.  He has been downright lousy this year.  And I think his consistency with the glove has suffered as well.  His head isn't in the game sometimes.  lackadaisical is the best word I can come up with.

With all that being said, I think you get your biggest haul this winter.  But if DD and Pete had the stones to deal him to the Yanks in July, you would get your kings ransom of prospects.

Here is another long shot.  If Manny continues to be lousy this year, would he take a little less on a hometown discount this year.  Or risk a second consecutive crap year that would hurt his value in the open market at the end of 2018.  If he hits .210 for two years in a row, is he really a 30-35mil/yr player???  Just food for thought.

I just don't see his 2017 stats (to date) being a factor in a trade or extension. Manny isn't going to doubt his ability to play. He's not going to freak out and beg the O's to extend him. Regarding the broader question of his value, I suppose I think of it from this perspective. Where would the O's be standing, if they didn't have Manny? Does Manny make them so much better, that he's worth dedicating 33% of their total roster payroll to one man. 

3 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

They have to make the "appearance" they tried to extend him. My thoughts exactly. Good post.

23 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I just don't see his 2017 stats (to date) being a factor in a trade or extension. Manny isn't going to doubt his ability to play. He's not going to freak out and beg the O's to extend him. Regarding the broader question of his value, I suppose I think of it from this perspective. Where would the O's be standing, if they didn't have Manny? Does Manny make them so much better, that he's worth dedicating 33% of their total roster payroll to one man. 

Might be more than that...depending on who bids on him.

I just can't believe they spent that much on Chris Davis. We might have been able to extend Manny without a CD signing.