Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

Solar panel discussion

5 posts in this topic

Who has solar panels and is it worth it?  Has there been a marked reduction in your electric bill? 

Posted (edited)

Lot of solar companies  here in Utah are trying to sell the option of they install the panels for free and charge you less for your electric bill.

Had a guy came over to the house last month from the solar company to sell panels like I mention above. I asked him about the option to buy the panels right out and he told me that it depends on the kilowatts used every month by the house hold. He estimated about 30 grand installed with a 10 year warranty( of course you can extend warranty) this also comes with the ability to connect to the power grid and sell your extra power to the electric company(They are required to buy it from you). My bill in Utah runs about 250 -300 bucks a month, the math to me comes out to a savings depending on how much you do not use and sell back to your power company.

You also need to check in your area for government subsidies. they help out with low cost loans or really good tax break.

I am thinking about it. The newer generation of panels have gotten better. I have not gotten into haggling the price yet but will keep you informed.

Edited by UTAH RAVEN
add on

Interested in hearing solar install stories too.

I've got a perfect southern exposure roof with no shade.

Seeing a lot of new installations even in shaded non southern exposure roofs.

Neighbor did a small install. Says it is a good deal but not as good as he originally thought.

Maybe I'll wait for the Integrated Elon Musk solar roof when it's time to reroof...

The Panels are getting better. I have a co-worker who installed one just for his water heater. He swearers it cut his electric bill.

Someone I know had solar panels installed on her home. This entailed removing some trees. She said that her electric bill was reduced substantially and the cost of the install was worth it. (Although she still heats/cooks by propane gas.)