soulflower

Iran fires missile into Syria / US shoots down Syrian Fighter Jet

31 posts in this topic

What the heck is going on in Syria?

Iran showed off their missile technology by launching a missile from Western Iran and striking ISIS in Eastern Syria

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/18/middleeast/iran-launches-missiles-into-syria/index.html

The US shot down a Syrian Fighter jet that they claim was threatening SDF rebels (Pentagon backed Kurdish Rebels). 

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06/18/us-led-coalition-shoots-down-pro-assad-fighter-jets-after-attack-on-partner-forces.html

Damn, you need a score card to keep up with the players over there.

If we had even a bit of independence we'd partner with Iran against ISIS instead of Putin. It's definitely in Iran's interest to see them destroyed.  Their technology seems to be up to snuff as well. Time to get over Israeli hurt feelings.  Time to reassess Saudi Arabia with their sponsorship of terrorism. Time for a lot of things as the end of empire draws near. Lifting the target off our back would be a smart first move under the circumstances. Best to hand things over to those with adult interests instead of corporate ones while we still have the authority.   Just because we are going down doesn't mean we should take the world with us.

46 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

Damn, you need a score card to keep up with the players over there.

More than a scorecard. A room filled with white boards to scribble on and erase.

What goes on in the ME is like a fxrt in the wind.

11 hours ago, soulflower said:

What the heck is going on in Syria?

A cluster _ _ _ _ of epic proportions. Brought to you by the M.I.C

11 hours ago, zenwalk said:

If we had even a bit of independence we'd partner with Iran against ISIS instead of Putin. It's definitely in Iran's interest to see them destroyed.  Their technology seems to be up to snuff as well. Time to get over Israeli hurt feelings.  Time to reassess Saudi Arabia with their sponsorship of terrorism. Time for a lot of things as the end of empire draws near. Lifting the target off our back would be a smart first move under the circumstances. Best to hand things over to those with adult interests instead of corporate ones while we still have the authority.   Just because we are going down doesn't mean we should take the world with us.

About the only thing in this post that makes any real sense is the reassessment of SA.  If you think however that there is something we can do in the ME that will reduce our being targeted, you are seriously deluding yourself.  

20 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

About the only thing in this post that makes any real sense is the reassessment of SA.  If you think however that there is something we can do in the ME that will reduce our being targeted, you are seriously deluding yourself.  

We could get out of the Middle East. That hasn't been tried

49 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

What I've been saying for over a decade.

How's that Arab Spring thing going?

53 minutes ago, soulflower said:

We could get out of the Middle East. That hasn't been tried

We could also click our heels together 3 times, but that still would not cause us not to be attacked.  Such is the mindset of this enemy.

4 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

We could also click our heels together 3 times, but that still would not cause us not to be attacked.  Such is the mindset of this enemy.

You're never going to have zero attacks, but having our troops there isn't doing anything either, so why have them there?

7 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

If we're going to get attacked by terrorists whether we destabilize Middle Eastern countries or not, I'd rather we get out. 

Posted (edited)

Russia is threatening to shoot down US aircraft in Syria

Edited by soulflower

9 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

You're never going to have zero attacks, but having our troops there isn't doing anything either, so why have them there?

8 minutes ago, soulflower said:

If we're going to get attacked by terrorists whether we destabilize Middle Eastern countries or not, I'd rather we get out. 

In practical terms, I agree.  If being there isn't helping, the answer becomes pretty easy to write.  I have two points of contradiction however.  

For good or bad, the US has ties to Israel.  I do not believe we have treaty obligations with that state, but to deny the strength of the tie to Israel, politically and socially is to deny reality.  Getting out of the ME would have to pass some undetermined "test" regarding Israel.  What we would like see is a formal treaty, binding us to specific actions and I am not sure we want that as a formal binding.

Things tend to go from bad to worse when the US leaves the stage in any particular area.  While we tend to bumble from one mis-step to another, without regard to who we have punished by electing him or her President, the US tends to be a balancing force.  I'm not sure we have done a particularly good job in the ME, but I shudder to think what things may have been like with out us trying to keep the various neighbors in their respective corners.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I'm not sure we have done a particularly good job in the ME, but I shudder to think what things may have been like with out us trying to keep the various neighbors in their respective corners.

We've done nothing but screw up the middle east. It's messier than ever. As far as the whole Israel thing, they're big boys. They can take care of themselves. It's way past time to go back to using our military for what it was created for. Defense of the United States, not World Police.

Edited by bmore_ken

This war is not worth it for Saudi / Israel or any pipeline or any stocks

The king of youtube.  

3 hours ago, soulflower said:

Russia is threatening to shoot down US aircraft in Syria

Here comes trump's convenient war distraction.

"What the heck is going on in Syria?"   Mission creep.   This generation's Vietnam?

What do people think should happen if the Russians/Assad shoot down a US aircraft in Syria?

5 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

You're right. Being doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over and over makes far better sense. 

2 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

You're right. Being doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over and over makes far better sense. 

None of it makes sense, so please don't add something to my post that I don't put it in there.

Leaving the ME will change little toward lifting a target off our back, despite your earnest naïveté in thinking so.

1 minute ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

None of it makes sense, so please don't add something to my post that I don't put it in there.

Leaving the ME will change little toward lifting a target off our back, despite your earnest naïveté in thinking so.

Endless war in the ME is expensive. 

We should leave due to the impact on our debt if for no other reason...

1 minute ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I'll grant you partnering with Russia in Syria was worth a try but the naysayers have been proven right. Your republican buddies in the Kremlin have again shown themselves to be willing to use any tragedy as an opportunity. But I can understand your fear of Iran given their meddling in our election and the many ways they have used suicide bombers against us. We have moved from descent into fall mode and if we don't start making preparations now that fall is going to be very ugly. Soulflower is correct. We no longer have the surplus cash to play Middle Eastern games anymore.

20 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Endless war in the ME is expensive. 

We should leave due to the impact on our debt if for no other reason...

... with mediocre results at best and tragic at worst.   So let's get into a shooting contest with the Russians!  What could possibly go wrong?   /facepalm