Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
themamba

NBA's Mecca - Prince George's County

13 posts in this topic

Amazing......

From the article:

" Steve Francis’s basketball renown was limited to being a local playground star when he was discovered in 1996 playing for Team Maryland, a Prince George’s County squad, in the 19-and-under AAU National Championships in Florida. He wasn’t even playing high school ball at the time, but his performance got him a spot on a junior college team in Texas, which he parlayed into a free ride under Gary Williams at the University of Maryland "

WOW......

Francis was inelgible his first year at Blair, 11th man his sophomore year. He transferred to Kennedy his junior season, but did not play after breaking his ankle. His senior year he was back at Blair when his Mom died, he struggled with grades and didn't play. Went to Milford Academy for a prep year, but again, didn't play. Ended up getting his GED and got a shot with San Jac', leading them to the JuCo finals. Got homesick, came back and led Allegany to the tournament, the first and only player to lead two different undefeated schools to the tournament. In his first 6 years in the league, Francis averaged 20 points, 6.5 assists, and better than 6 rebounds per game. That was then.

Posted (edited)

John Thompson use to say it all the time on his radio show.

Edited by Tomslick

9 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

From the article:

" Steve Francis’s basketball renown was limited to being a local playground star when he was discovered in 1996 playing for Team Maryland, a Prince George’s County squad, in the 19-and-under AAU National Championships in Florida. He wasn’t even playing high school ball at the time, but his performance got him a spot on a junior college team in Texas, which he parlayed into a free ride under Gary Williams at the University of Maryland "

WOW......

Francis is a MOCO guy. 

19 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

Francis is a MOCO guy. 

So is Beasley if we're being technical, but they both played AAU ball over in PG. It's the Wale rule. If you rep PG every chance you get, people will forget you're from MOCO. 

Techniically, he grew up in Takoma Park in 2 homes. One on the east side of Carroll, which was PG until it was annexed in 1997. Takoma Park, until then, straddled both counties. The other on Maple Avenue, just on the other side of the border. 

Beasley was born in Cheverly.

4 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

So is Beasley if we're being technical, but they both played AAU ball over in PG. It's the Wale rule. If you rep PG every chance you get, people will forget you're from MOCO. 

It would be far beyond being technical to bring up Beasley.  Actually, I believe Beasley was technically born in Cheverly, PG County MD for a short time they lived in PG.  But the family (his mom) is from MoCo and perhaps Frederick.  But Beasley himself attended a million high schools and was perhaps a basketball nomad who lived away from his family.  Hell, I wonder where Beasely called home as a youngster.....  I think where one play youth / AAU / high school ball is where you're from tag is placed and Beasely played ball around the PG Durant crowd

16 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

It would be far beyond being technical to bring up Beasley.  Actually, I believe Beasley was technically born in Cheverly, PG County MD for a short time they lived in PG.  But the family (his mom) is from MoCo and perhaps Frederick.  But Beasley himself attended a million high schools and was perhaps a basketball nomad who lived away from his family.  Hell, I wonder where Beasely called home as a youngster.....  I think where one play youth / AAU / high school ball is where you're from tag is placed and Beasely played ball around the PG Durant crowd

He was raised in Gaithersburg. Being born somewhere doesn't mean you're from there. But yea, his basketball career was handled in PG.