Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blessed1

Reclassification

32 posts in this topic

What are the NCAA rules for high School Reclass? I know of a Parent that is interested in transferring her son from a Harford co public to private ,with hopes of getting College offers

Posted (edited)

I don't think the NCAA care about high school reclassifications, just that one graduated or holds an accredited diploma / equivalency.  But I could be wrong on this issue.  Yet here is what I took from a chat I had months ago from an public school administrator.  Its school district has requirements that must be met to graduate and the courses completed with what's needed to complete all requirements determine class.  He cited examples of students coming in who were so-called reclass'd down and even up based on transcripts to complete graduation but most are on par so that if they were juniors where they were, they were juniors at the new school.  But in no case I was told could a parent say I want my kid to repeat 9th-grade classes so he/she would be better at football, baseball, track, or any other extra activity to include maturity.

Edited by DayWalker

1 hour ago, Blessed1 said:

What are the NCAA rules for high School Reclass? I know of a Parent that is interested in transferring her son from a Harford co public to private ,with hopes of getting College offers

His academic eligibility will be based on his first 4 years in high school. 5th year, only can replace 1-2 classes. 10 classes will be locked in after 6 semesters. 

Maroon is correct. If he is a good student, he should have no issues with a reclass. if he is a marginal student, he will be academically ineligible the first year, it is not a red shirt year, it is a lost year, thus leaving you 3 years of eligibility. Most schools will not deal with reclass kids that have questionable grades.

How many years has the kid played thus far? Thats the first question. I know kids that have done it but they missed a year playing HS ball. One kid I know took advantage of missing his Jr year on the court and reclassed at another school. He could only retake (1) class the rest of his classes were Sr classes. And in his Sr year he had a half-day schedule. And yes he is cleared thru NCAA.

2 hours ago, Tomslick said:

How many years has the kid played thus far? Thats the first question. I know kids that have done it but they missed a year playing HS ball. One kid I know took advantage of missing his Jr year on the court and reclassed at another school. He could only retake (1) class the rest of his classes were Sr classes. And in his Sr year he had a half-day schedule. And yes he is cleared thru NCAA.

He played 3 so far

Why would he have to reclass if he is moving from public to private. He would be able to play this year. He can only play 4 yrs supposedly 

8 hours ago, jbmad said:

Why would he have to reclass if he is moving from public to private. He would be able to play this year. He can only play 4 yrs supposedly 

The kid is a rising senior and my guess is he has no college offers...The kid want to reclass with hopes of recruitment opening up

how will it open up if you are not playing......he has already played 3 years so he wouldn't play this season if he reclasses........so in my opinion, he would be further behind by sitting a  year

28 minutes ago, araiderfan said:

how will it open up if you are not playing......he has already played 3 years so he wouldn't play this season if he reclasses........so in my opinion, he would be further behind by sitting a  year

Why wouldn't. He be able to play

you only have 4 years of eligibility........if he has already played 3.......and then reclass........then you have 1 year of eligibility and 2 years of high school left.....

Long as your under 19 before the start of the season...you should be able to play I thought

4 years of eligibility regardless. You mentioned he has already played 3. He has 1 year left to play football..........

I'm with Blessed.  It's not 19 also and not 4-years regardless.  Two factors must hold.

Yes it is, you only have 4 years of eligibility to play sports in high school. But as we all know some get away with playing more

11 hours ago, Blessed1 said:

He played 3 so far

There was one school locally that I knew who would take him but they have gotten away from the 5th year kids because it was hard to get games scheduled. Go ball out and look into the other divisions that play ball including NAIA.

59 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Yes it is, you only have 4 years of eligibility to play sports in high school. But as we all know some get away with playing more

That's even if you transfer schools?Do they really keep up with that? Just curious

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Blessed1 said:

That's even if you transfer schools?Do they really keep up with that? Just curious

Situation like an out of state kid who played at previous school for two years.  At his new school and review of his transcript, he is assessed to only have completed freshman requirements and he his classified as a sophomore.  Kid says nothing about two year play at previous school.  He could do three seasons at new school with none the wiser.  Is that possible....and likely?????

Edited by DayWalker

Just trying to return some information on the situation, before the kid end up not playing his senior year

What I think you are talking about happened to a basketball player who transferred from a private school to a public school, DuVal I think it was, and he did so thinking he had two years of play left only to learn he could play one season and he spent his senior academic year watching his team as a fan.

Exactly DW, your academic years have nothing to do with how many years you have played. They dont give you extra years to play. 

Posted (edited)

The player I am referring to started out at Carroll in DC and then played a couple years for basketball power Paul VI in VA.  He then transferred to DuVal in MD and could only do the one season.  Again, I think the player and family understood he was classified a junior by his transcript academically at third school DuVal but they didn't know the years he played governed his remaining play time although he would not have been 19 his senior year.

You must know the rules....

Edited by DayWalker

If he transfers into a new school as a junior who has already played 3 years he only has 1 year left, regardless of age. Anyone who advises him otherwise is not looking out for the best interests of this young man AND they are putting the new school in a precarious position if they do try and play a 5th year. You dont get to re-play your life, or pause it because you think you're entitled to a scholarship. Play hard your senior year and see what happens.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, HY3:13 said:

If he transfers into a new school as a junior who has already played 3 years he only has 1 year left, regardless of age. Anyone who advises him otherwise is not looking out for the best interests of this young man AND they are putting the new school in a precarious position if they do try and play a 5th year. You dont get to re-play your life, or pause it because you think you're entitled to a scholarship. Play hard your senior year and see what happens.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:07 PM, ShoNuff07 said:

Exactly HY3:13! That would be Page 21 Section D of the handbook above. He's only allowed to play 4 years of sports, but he still can't be 19 before the end of August, which is Section C on page 21.

Edited by ShoNuff07