Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dshawg1

Wow-things have gotten worse-it's obvious the O's MUST sell

8 posts in this topic

My biggest question is does DD oversee such an event? If so, I am not sure that is a good move. DD isn't a bad GM (with the exception of his ineptitude to assemble good starting pitching), but has he ever managed a rebuilding effort? What's his track record? I would much rather bring someone in.

This is who I would trade:

If healthy-Britton has to go. He is a FA and a Boras client.

Brach-tons of value.

Seth Smith-obvious.

Kim-Buck hates him anyways-ha ha. 

Castillo-I will say this, I would rather the O's extend him if they can't get much (I think they can get a good prospect for him though), I rather they look into extending him. I do not think Chance Cisco is the long term answer despite his prospect ranking. His CS% is not good. His defense in general is not up to par for Buck's standards (assuming he sticks around). 

AJ-not a lot of value and he is the soul of this team-he stays or we riot:)

Manny-biggest piece but probably stays until the offseason unless BLOWN away at the deadline. And when I say BLOWN away-like 3 top 20 prospects.

Schoop-stays

Miley-very little value, but trade him

Ubaldo-he can't even eat innings. what a turd of a signing by DD, just atrocious. he is the poster boy of the DD era

Gassman-Little value, but he is much better than this-you gotta keep him at this point

TIllman-FA at the end of the year, but just been terrible. If given a decent offer, I would trade him but I don't think he is healthy.

Bundy-Stays unless blown away (2 top prospects)

Givens can probably get you a hull-but that would leave you nobody

O'day-would love to unload him, but with that contract, good luck

Hardy-not healthy, or would have value for someone as a defensive asset, probably could get a B-c prospect for him.

Macini-keep

Chris Davis-please, that contract is an albatross

Thoughts?

I would trade literally everyone if the value in return is adequate.

Posted (edited)

Davis isn't going anywhere because of that contract. Jones is a 10-and-5 and can veto any trade. I didn't see Trumbo's name mentioned, but as I said in a similar breakdown, he has little value due to having two more years on his deal (and a limited no-trade). That practically takes the National League out of the equation since he's primarily a DH.

You don't trade guys like Bundy and Givens who are still under team control for another four years after this season. The most immediate impact trades right now would be to offer bullpen pieces to Washington, who are desperate for anyone who can help stabilize that bullpen.

I do tend to agree about Duquette in the respect that he's never had to oversee a rebuild, even during his short time in Montreal. Frankly though, I'm not sure he's going to be asked to do so in whatever time he has left in Baltimore.

Edited by mdrunning

22 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

My biggest question is does DD oversee such an event? If so, I am not sure that is a good move. DD isn't a bad GM (with the exception of his ineptitude to assemble good starting pitching), but has he ever managed a rebuilding effort? What's his track record? I would much rather bring someone in.

This is who I would trade:

If healthy-Britton has to go. He is a FA and a Boras client.

Brach-tons of value.

Seth Smith-obvious.

Kim-Buck hates him anyways-ha ha. 

Castillo-I will say this, I would rather the O's extend him if they can't get much (I think they can get a good prospect for him though), I rather they look into extending him. I do not think Chance Cisco is the long term answer despite his prospect ranking. His CS% is not good. His defense in general is not up to par for Buck's standards (assuming he sticks around). 

AJ-not a lot of value and he is the soul of this team-he stays or we riot:)

Manny-biggest piece but probably stays until the offseason unless BLOWN away at the deadline. And when I say BLOWN away-like 3 top 20 prospects.

Schoop-stays

Miley-very little value, but trade him

Ubaldo-he can't even eat innings. what a turd of a signing by DD, just atrocious. he is the poster boy of the DD era

Gassman-Little value, but he is much better than this-you gotta keep him at this point

TIllman-FA at the end of the year, but just been terrible. If given a decent offer, I would trade him but I don't think he is healthy.

Bundy-Stays unless blown away (2 top prospects)

Givens can probably get you a hull-but that would leave you nobody

O'day-would love to unload him, but with that contract, good luck

Hardy-not healthy, or would have value for someone as a defensive asset, probably could get a B-c prospect for him.

Macini-keep

Chris Davis-please, that contract is an albatross

Thoughts?

I agree with most of your assessments. But Hardy has zero value as his 14mil option kicks in if traded.  No one and I mean no one is trading for him. He just isn't very good anymore. And Tillman has zero value. At his salary - someone have to pick up 5 mil or so - and his horrendous performance, he is a zero.

At this point in time other than Manny and some of the young core guys we shouldn't trade, Brach has the most value - a ton. Agree with you on that, 

On 6/24/2017 at 11:31 AM, dshawg1 said:

My biggest question is does DD oversee such an event? If so, I am not sure that is a good move. DD isn't a bad GM (with the exception of his ineptitude to assemble good starting pitching), but has he ever managed a rebuilding effort? What's his track record?

He rebuilt the Montreal Expos. He was the GM behind the fabled 1994 team. They were considered the best team in the sport, and a WS contender. Then the strike happened, and the team was dismantled after DD left for Boston. In Boston he built the majority of the 2004 WS champion Boston team. You know how folks on this board gleefully point out that AM built the current, competitive O's, and that DD did little more than add individual pieces. Those same folks credit Theo with the Red Sox championship. They give DD no credit.

Meanwhile, DD, who hasn't benefited from annual top 10 picks, like AM had, has nearly matched AM in the area of drafting, if you're judging by the standard of drafted players who have had an impact in Baltimore. 

DD works for an owner who doesn't value pitching, and will not sign off on a market value contract for a top of the rotation pitcher. An owner who has hired 8 GMs, and only 2 of them have managed a team with a winning record and playoff appearances. And he quickly drove off the first GM who did it. DD is also sharing power with a field manager who has the owner's ear, and wants a line up of 9 guys that all have 35 HRs, 290 Ks, and a .280 OBP. 

IMO, DD is more than capable of rebuilding the organization, and building a WS contending team. But he probably won't be able to do that here, because he doesn't have the unquestioned authority that most, if not all, GMs enjoy as an industry standard.    

He's been in charge of three organization, and all three were built into WS contenders, with one of them bringing home the trophy.

Given carte blanche, I think he could do a great job.  

5 minutes ago, weird-O said:

He rebuilt the Montreal Expos. He was the GM behind the fabled 1994 team. They were considered the best team in the sport, and a WS contender. Then the strike happened, and the team was dismantled after DD left for Boston. In Boston he built the majority of the 2004 WS champion Boston team. You know how folks on this board gleefully point out that AM built the current, competitive O's, and that DD did little more than add individual pieces. Those same folks credit Theo with the Red Sox championship. They give DD no credit.

Meanwhile, DD, who hasn't benefited from annual top 10 picks, like AM had, has nearly matched AM in the area of drafting, if you're judging by the standard of drafted players who have had an impact in Baltimore. 

DD works for an owner who doesn't value pitching, and will not sign off on a market value contract for a top of the rotation pitcher. An owner who has hired 8 GMs, and only 2 of them have managed a team with a winning record and playoff appearances. And he quickly drove off the first GM who did it. DD is also sharing power with a field manager who has the owner's ear, and wants a line up of 9 guys that all have 35 HRs, 290 Ks, and a .280 OBP. 

IMO, DD is more than capable of rebuilding the organization, and building a WS contending team. But he probably won't be able to do that here, because he doesn't have the unquestioned authority that most, if not all, GMs enjoy as an industry standard.    

He's been in charge of three organization, and all three were built into WS contenders, with one of them bringing home the trophy.

Excellent post.

People should be careful what they wish for, the heir apparent for the GM job is Brady Anderson.

The same guy who while a member of the FO has a locker in the clubhouse, works out with the team from time to time in pregame, and undermines pitching coaches

and bullpen coaches when he is working out with pitchers in the off season.  

13 hours ago, weird-O said:

I agree with russ. Really good post here. 

As I said previously, it's difficult enough attracting talented people to work under Angelos, so cutting people loose after one bad stretch isn't going to benefit the team long-term. The net effect will likely result in making Oriole executive positions even less attractive than they already are. 

Is anyone knocking on the Orioles trade door I think other teams don't need mediocre players.