Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pepper

Road trip

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I miss New England around the last two weeks of September. Summer's gone, autumn is settling in and there is a crispness in the air that I have seen no where else, even in the Rockies.

We were only there for a few months in spring.

6 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Forget the drive...how was Barrett-Jackson?? Did you go to bid? Or just look around? :)

I so want to go to Scottsdale!!

Scottsdale was on a wish list, but flying to Az at that time of year wasn't an option. But you're good at any site. The Moheghan Sun place in Ct. is huge, and Barrett Jackson puts on a serious event. We didn't go to bid, but sat in on some of it. We just wanted to see the cars and get a feel on prices. All the cars were in a parking garage, maybe 5 stories, and different cars rolled in and out as each auction category went to the block.The garage was filled and it had to be in the high hundreds if not over a thousand vehicles. Every type, plus bikes and a surprising number of beautiful farm tractors. We do lots of car shows, but the variety here was insane. Each car was of course for sale. My wife really likes late 60's, early 70's US muscle cars. I like it all, but I really want an old truck. Too many of either type to count, but you can get a really nice driver, truck or car, for less than 25 thousand. But the selection here reminded me of Blockbuster...how the heck do you pick one? The Model A pickup or the 68 RS ? 

The TV presentation is heavily edited, showing  the most expensive, but the majority of cars are in reach if you want it. It's like owning a boat.

They had a really cool setup in a parking lot with a fenced, jersey walled oval, maybe 500 yards long, and pros were making fast, tire smoking laps in track ready Chargers, Corvettes and Mustangs. They had a few Hellcats and I had never seen one in person, let alone with full on tire smoke RPM's. They are awesome, and sound incredible.

By this time in the trip, we were getting sick of the hotel life. A road trip isn't really a vacation as I'm used to. I like the beach trip where the truck stays parked for a week. We drove home straight thru from Ct. and aside from the early rain, it was a nice 6 hours. We took the advice, and came home over the Tappen Zee, to the Garden State Pky, to 95, avoiding NYC entirely.

Thanks for the interesting comments.

8 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Did you take the Cross-Bronx pepper?  I hate that road.

We did going north, and it was bad. We got up to 35 mph in some spots! I love driving though, and especially if it's somewhere I've never been, so it was ok. I saw the NYC skyline for the first time. Even from the GWB, thats impressive. 

57 minutes ago, pepper said:

Scottsdale was on a wish list, but flying to Az at that time of year wasn't an option. But you're good at any site. The Moheghan Sun place in Ct. is huge, and Barrett Jackson puts on a serious event. We didn't go to bid, but sat in on some of it. We just wanted to see the cars and get a feel on prices. All the cars were in a parking garage, maybe 5 stories, and different cars rolled in and out as each auction category went to the block.The garage was filled and it had to be in the high hundreds if not over a thousand vehicles. Every type, plus bikes and a surprising number of beautiful farm tractors. We do lots of car shows, but the variety here was insane. Each car was of course for sale. My wife really likes late 60's, early 70's US muscle cars. I like it all, but I really want an old truck. Too many of either type to count, but you can get a really nice driver, truck or car, for less than 25 thousand. But the selection here reminded me of Blockbuster...how the heck do you pick one? The Model A pickup or the 68 RS ? 

The TV presentation is heavily edited, showing  the most expensive, but the majority of cars are in reach if you want it. It's like owning a boat.

They had a really cool setup in a parking lot with a fenced, jersey walled oval, maybe 500 yards long, and pros were making fast, tire smoking laps in track ready Chargers, Corvettes and Mustangs. They had a few Hellcats and I had never seen one in person, let alone with full on tire smoke RPM's. They are awesome, and sound incredible.

By this time in the trip, we were getting sick of the hotel life. A road trip isn't really a vacation as I'm used to. I like the beach trip where the truck stays parked for a week. We drove home straight thru from Ct. and aside from the early rain, it was a nice 6 hours. We took the advice, and came home over the Tappen Zee, to the Garden State Pky, to 95, avoiding NYC entirely.

Awesome! 

Thursday is the day to pick up something for a sorta reasonable price. I saw a few that I would've bid on if I was there and so inclined. Lol

I like the ones your wife likes - the late 60s early 70s muscle cars. And the 30s.  I'd love to just walk around and see them up close.

It sounds like you two had a great anniversary trip! Thanks for sharing your journal :)

We go up that way a lot, have vacationed in Maine a half dozen times, Nova Scotia, New Hampsire, Vermont....

Visited the usual suspects like Boston, Newport, Mystic and dozens of small towns throughout NE.......

Friend of mine has a hunting camp up on the allagash at top of Me so been to the end of 95 and rt 1 - at both ends :) .....

Also been all through Quebec but that's not 95 although its up over Maine ....

Climbed Mt Washington,  Mt Katadin and dozens of smaller peaks throughout NE, Quebec and the Maritimes.........

Arcadia and Bar Harbor is an east coast must .....

Also think the north lakes area of NH is really cool with the lakes to the south and white mountains to the north for a great outdoors vacation ......

Top of Nova Scotia, cape Breton island is special .....

Boston is an awesome city and Newport is fun in the summer.....

We aren't a laying on the beach family, just got back from 10 days in the keys and spent 1 day at bahia Honda on the beach .....

I love the rocky coastlines once you get above NJ /NY and areas up in me, nova Scotia and Quebec are like being on the west coast with much of Quebec like being in Europe ....

We outgrew hotel rooms years ago and rent houses when traveling with the kids, usually on the water .....

I use what a call the hub and spoke method usa to see several areas and try to keep from moving too many times, take day trips from a central location .....

On longer family vacations, we do spend 2-3 days in hotel just to get close to the house a few days before check in, usually for a 10 or 11 day vacation ......

On the east coast hung out in Boston on way to Arcadia, hung out in Newport on way to Moosehead lake maine,  in Montreal and Quebec City on way to New Hampshire, Bar Harbor on way to Nova Scotia, etc.  .....

Done that on the west coast several times and for 15 days in Italy as well, staying 3-5 days at a time ....

And I usually take tappen zee as well ......

We did the NE road trip last summer. I'll post the details tomorrow.

Posted (edited)

Some years ago I drove a meandering route to Lake Placid, NY by way of I-95.

Baltimore to Kennebunkport and Portland the first day.

Second day, northwest through Maine and into New Hampshire past Bretton Woods (where the 1944 conference to set up post WW II financial order was held). Ate the best blueberry pancakes I ever had in a small joint nearby. Into New York and hugged the shore of Lake Champlain for awhile. Later in the day arrived at Lake Placid just as the sun was setting; cafes were filling up and had a nice golden glow to them in contrast to the cold, purple sky outside. 

Spent the next few days skiing moguls on Whiteface.

Edited by boink

Posted (edited)

On 6/25/2017 at 7:16 PM, pepper said:

If you ever get to Scottsdale, check out Frank Lloyd Wright's western studio, Taliesin West http://franklloydwright.org/taliesin-west/ 

There's also a Taliesin East in Wisconsin.

Farther north, Sedona with its crystal houses and "vortex energy" tours. Ground zero for new age types.

In between off 17 in the desert like a mirage, there's urban laboratory Arcosanti   https://arcosanti.org

Edited by boink

11 minutes ago, boink said:

If you ever get to Scottsdale, check out Frank Lloyd Wright's western studio, Taliesin West http://franklloydwright.org/taliesin-west/ 

There's also a Taliesin East in Wisconsin.

Farther north, Sedona with its crystal houses and "vortex energy" tours. Ground zero for new age types.

In between off 17 in the desert like a mirage, there's urban laboratory Arcosanti   https://arcosanti.org

Definitely on my list ?

Not a roadtrip up 95 but for folks looking to fly, prices have dropped about 25% on swa in the past month for airfare this fall......

Been planning a trip to the bay area and Napa for this fall and printed out my air fares less than month ago and one ways were around $200+ one way or $400+ rt......

Booked them last week at ~ $140 each leg, less than $280 rt to the bay area with no extra costs for bags, etc ......

One direct flight I had been watching dropped from $206 to $134 from Oakland to Baltimore ......

Only 16,000 points for rt to cali for those with the swa points  .....

That's not many more points that I usedto go to the keys this spring .....