Smokey 1

Did John McEnroe diss Serena Williams with comments?

30 posts in this topic

John McEnroe was asked if he thought Serena Williams was the best tennis player in the world.  He responded that he thought she was the best female tennis player in the world but would only be ranked about 700 in the mens circuit.  Now McEnroe is being criticized for dissing Serena by critics who claim that she is the best in the world period.

Sorry but McEnroe is right.  If women want to be compared to men for the best in the world status then they should give up "womens" only sport leagues and compete directly against men.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/19734541/john-mcenroe-says-serena-williams-no-700-world-played-men-circuit

I don't know about that 700 number, but I agree that if somebody can beat you, you're not the best in the world.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

John McEnroe was asked if he thought Serena Williams was the best tennis player in the world.  He responded that he thought she was the best female tennis player in the world but would only be ranked about 700 in the mens circuit.  Now McEnroe is being criticized for dissing Serena by critics who claim that she is the best in the world period.

Sorry but McEnroe is right.  If women want to be compared to men for the best in the world status then they should give up "womens" only sport leagues and compete directly against men.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/19734541/john-mcenroe-says-serena-williams-no-700-world-played-men-circuit

He's right, but like Cameron posted I don't know where he the 700 number comes from.

But if anyone is old enough to remember when Billie Jean King played a out of shape 50 year old tennis Hustler back in the 70's, that pretty much proved the point that the best women's player in the world was equal to hustler whose name I can't even remember.   

Edited by jonsensback

Posted (edited)

I guess the question is did he need to bring the sexes into it?

If so,he is correct.

IMO the commentator was probably referring to women players since that's how it's done.

Edited by mcorioles

Just now, mcorioles said:

I guess the question is did he need to bring the sexes into it?

If so,he is correct.

IMO the commentator was probably referring to women players since that's how it's done.

The sports columnists who was interviewing McEnroe brought up Serena Williams and asked him straight up if he thought she was the best in the world.  Some people commenting were incensed claiming that McEnroe's comment was sexist and that Serena is the best in the world period.

Is it sexist to admit that women can't compete equally with men in most sports?

Is the best woman ever going to beat the best man at tennis or any other physical sport? Men are always going to be able to hit the ball harder, it's just biology.  I find it inappropriate to try and compare the two. 

I don't know about the 700 number but I think it's fair to assume she might not be as good as the top male Tennis players

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Cameron said:

I don't know about that 700 number, but I agree that if somebody can beat you, you're not the best in the world.

I frankly don't follow tennis enough to say.  But is Williams thought she could beat the male pros she would have already done it.  It would make for incredible television.

I figured there would be a massive difference between the speeds of the male and female games.  I was wrong.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/09/sabine_lisicki_record_serve_science_explains_why_female_tennis_players_can.html

Lisicki, who lost in the third round of the U.S. Open to Maria Sharapova, stuck around long enough to blast the speediest serve of any woman at this year’s U.S. Open (124 mph). That’s just barely slower than the best effort in the Open of top men’s seed Novak Djokovic (125 mph) and equal to or better than the fastest serves of at least 29 men, including seeded players Kei Nishikori, Richard Gasquet, David Ferrer, Guillermo García-López, and Mikhail Youzhny. (I say at least 29 men because not every player in the men’s and women’s singles draw played on a court equipped with a serve-measuring radar gun. Also, a necessary caveat: There has been some dispute about the accuracy of tennis radar gun measurements.)

Serena Williams’ top serve at this year’s Open (122 mph) has also outpaced that of Ferrer (119 mph), García-López (118 mph), and Youzhny (117 mph). And women can compete with the men on average first-serve speed as well. Serena Williams’ average (108 mph) in her quarterfinal match against Flavia Pennetta was better than that of No. 12 men’s seed Gasquet (104 mph) in his third-round loss to Gaël Monfils. And No. 10 seed Nishikori, a U.S. Open semifinalist, has an average first-serve speed of 108 mph—the same as Serena’s highest—in three of his five matches thus far.

Edited by demopublican

23 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

He's right, but like Cameron posted I don't know where he the 700 number comes from.

But if anyone is old enough to remember when Billie Jean King played a out of shape 50 year old tennis Hustler back in the 70's, that pretty much proved the point that the best women's player in the world was equal to hustler whose name I can't even remember.   

McEnroe, 60,  says he could beat Williams today - - - and he's pushing a book.

serena already admitted she would lose straight sets without winning a game to the best mens player

“If I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose 6–0, 6–0, in 5 to 6 minutes,” Serena Williams told David Letterman on the Late Show last week. “I wouldn’t do Billie Jean any justice, so Andy, stop it. I’m not gonna let you kill me.”

Perhaps more pertinent, in 1998, Venus and Serena—just 17 and 16 years old, respectively—boasted that they could defeat men outside the ATP 200. German Karsten Braasch, then ranked No. 203, accepted the test in one-set exhibitions with each following their defeats at the Australian Open. The 31-year-old beat Serena, 6–1, and then Venus, 6–2, reportedly smoking a cigarette during the changeover.

35 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

When BJK played Bobby Riggs, she was not the best women's player in the world.

The #1 ranked women's tennis player at that time was Margaret Court.  

While she was ranked #1, she played Bobby Riggs (4 months before he played BJK in the famous "Battle Of The Sexes").

Riggs beat the #1 ranked Margaret Court 6-1 6-2.

The article I linked didn't have comments but on the TV News this morning they aired some comments that were very heated against what Mac said and claimed that he was sexist for his statements and for not admitting that Serena is the best in the world period.  Very amusing.  Some people must live in a delusional world where they believe that what they wish was true actually is.  :D

17 minutes ago, Cameron said:

McEnroe, 60,  says he could beat Williams today - - - and he's pushing a book.

My money would be on Serena.  She can hit the ball as well as some male pro's and for a 60 year old former pro that had a issue with losing it on the court in high pressure matches.

4 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

My money would be on Serena.  She can hit the ball as well as some male pro's and for a 60 year old former pro that had a issue with losing it on the court in high pressure matches.

Like demo, I don't follow tennis too much.  Williams can beat a whole lot of men, but that doesn't make her the best in the world.

She's the best in the world if she can beat the best men.

I'd believe that the best nuclear  physicist could be a woman, but it's a hard sell that the best soccer player, golfer, basketball player, tennis player, etc. could be a woman.

Just now, Cameron said:

Like demo, I don't follow tennis too much.  Williams can beat a whole lot of men, but that doesn't make her the best in the world.

She's the best in the world if she can beat the best men.

I'd believe that the best nuclear  physicist could be a woman, but it's a hard sell that the best soccer player, golfer, basketball player, tennis player, etc. could be a woman.

Best golfer maybe. I could buy that.

Just now, Heisenberg said:

Naw, more so with golf it's the power of the swing that will get you farther on the green.

It's not an accident the ladies tee is several yards behind the men's.

5 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Not even close if they played the men's tees. 

5 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Naw, more so with golf it's the power of the swing that will get you farther on the green.

Ok, well, that shows you what I know about golf.

4 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

"Drive for show. Putt for dough."  :D

But I agree with you.

Women, generally, do not have the upper body strength that men have.

11 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

you got it backward

ladies tee is not behind the mens

its many yards in front of

Just now, DreadPirateRoberts said:

you got it backward

ladies tee is not behind the mens

its many yards in front of

You are right of course:D.

Long weekend and I even played golf from the men's tees twice.

3 hours ago, jonsensback said:

Bobby Riggs

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

Bobby Riggs

Why was this thread moved to pro sports when the topic was political?  McEnroe was called a sexist for stating something that is common knowledge because some feminists can't face the facts that men are generally physically stronger than women.  This thread will die here now.  Thanks. :mad:

Edited by Smokey 1

8 hours ago, demopublican said:

I frankly don't follow tennis enough to say.  But is Williams thought she could beat the male pros she would have already done it.  It would make for incredible television.

I figured there would be a massive difference between the speeds of the male and female games.  I was wrong.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/09/sabine_lisicki_record_serve_science_explains_why_female_tennis_players_can.html

That's largely because with today's equipment pretty much anyone with decent athleticism can blast a tennisball 120mph.  The trick is blasting it that hard and keeping it in the lines.  Taller men and women have a huge advantage on serves - simple math really - because shorter players have to put a bit more spin on the ball to get it to curve down enough to stay in(not just on serves). 

7 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

Why was this thread moved to pro sports when the topic was political?  McEnroe was called a sexist for stating something that is common knowledge because some feminists can't face the facts that men are generally physically stronger than women.  This thread will die here now.  Thanks. :mad:

I'll take A for 500..........because it's pro sports.

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/p/8/005/068/218/131eb59.jpg