Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tooldtocare

KJV of the Old Testament

14 posts in this topic

KJV of the Old Testament; Who HE was talking too and why

Here is the linage from Noah to Rachel to Joseph

(Gen 5:28 KJV)  And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son:

(Gen 5:29 KJV)  And he called his name Noah

(Gen 5:32 KJV)  And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem

(Gen 10:21 KJV)  Unto Shem also, the father of all the children of Eber

(Gen 10:25 KJV)  And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg;

(Gen 11:18 KJV)  And Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu:

(Gen 11:20 KJV)  And Reu lived two and thirty years, and begat Serug:

(Gen 11:22 KJV)  And Serug lived thirty years, and begat Nahor:

(Gen 22:20 KJV)  And it came to pass after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, Behold, Milcah, she hath also born children unto thy brother Nahor;

(Gen 22:21 KJV)  Huz his firstborn, and Buz his brother, and Kemuel the father of Aram,

(Gen 22:22 KJV)  And Chesed, and Hazo, and Pildash, and Jidlaph, and Bethuel.

(Gen 22:23 KJV)  And Bethuel begat Rebekah

(Gen 24:29 KJV)  And Rebekah had a brother, and his name was Laban.

(Gen 29:16 KJV)  And Laban had two daughters.,.and the name of the younger was Rachel

(Gen 30:25 KJV)  And it came to pass, when Rachel had born Joseph.

.,.,.,.,.,And Joseph is where I begin this unfolding story---

Joseph, sold into slavery by his brothers, is taken to Egypt where he is sold to Potiphar as a household slave. Potiphar makes Joseph the head of his household, but Potiphar's wife, furious at Joseph for resisting her attempts to seduce him into sleeping with her, accuses him falsely of attempting to rape her. Potiphar casts Joseph into prison, where he comes to the notice of Pharaoh through his ability to interpret the dreams of other prisoners.

Potiphar's wife is not named in either the Yahwist or Elohist stories. The mediaeval Sefer HaYashar, a commentary on the Torah, gives it as Zuleika, as does the Persian poem called Yusuf and Zulaikha (from Jami's Haft Awrang ("Seven thrones")). For more on the nameless in the Holy Bible, please see List of names for the Biblical nameless.

It is difficult to place Potiphar or Joseph accurately to a particular pharaoh or time period. On the Jewish calendar, Joseph was purchased in the year 2216, which is 1544 BCE, at the end of the Second Intermediate Period or very beginning of the New Kingdom.

According to the documentary hypothesis, the story of Potiphar and his wife derives from the Yahwist source, and stands in the same place that the stories of the butler and the baker and Pharaoh's dreams stand in the Elohist text.

According to Dr G.J. Wenham (IVP New Bible Commentary) execution was normal for rape cases, so Potiphar may have had doubts about his wife`s story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potiphar

Posted (edited)

During this period Joseph is betrayed by his own people and sold into slavery for 20 pieces of silver. The Pharaoh brings him to his house and treats him kindly and makes him ruler over all of Egypt.

(Gen 37:3 KJV)  Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age: and he made him a coat of many colours.

(Gen 37:23 KJV)  And it came to pass, when Joseph was come unto his brethren, that they stripped Joseph out of his coat, his coat of many colours that was on him;

(Gen 37:24 KJV)  And they took him, and cast him into a pit: and the pit was empty, there was no water in it.

But before they "Murder" him they get a better idea and decide to sell him as a slave to the Midianites

(Gen 37:25 KJV)  And they sat down to eat bread: and they lifted up their eyes and looked, and, behold, a company of Ishmeelites came from Gilead with their camels bearing spicery and balm and myrrh, going to carry it down to Egypt.

(Gen 37:27 KJV)  Come, and let us sell him to the Ishmeelites, and let not our hand be upon him; for he is our brother and our flesh. And his brethren were content.

(Gen 37:28 KJV)  Then there passed by Midianites merchantmen; and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph to the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver: and they brought Joseph into Egypt.

he Midianites in turn sell Joseph to a Egyptian

(Gen 37:36 KJV)  And the Midianites sold him into Egypt unto Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh's, and captain of the guard.

Joseph’s master believes that Joseph was trying to seduce his wife and casts him into a prison

(Gen 39:20 KJV)  And Joseph's master took him, and put him into the prison, a place where the king's prisoners were bound: and he was there in the prison.

(Gen 39:22 KJV)  And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph's hand all the prisoners that were in the prison; and whatsoever they did there, he was the doer of it.

Joseph interprets some dreams and his interpretations come true. The Pharaoh gets word of this and brings Joseph out of the prison to stay in the Pharaoh’s house.

(Gen 41:39 KJV)  And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, Forasmuch as God hath showed thee all this, there is none so discreet and wise as thou art:

(Gen 41:40 KJV)  Thou shalt be over my house, and according unto thy word shall all my people be ruled: only in the throne will I be greater than thou.

(Gen 41:41 KJV)  And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, See, I have set thee over all the land of Egypt.

(Gen 41:42 KJV)  And Pharaoh took off his ring from his hand, and put it upon Joseph's hand, and arrayed him in vestures of fine linen, and put a gold chain about his neck;

(Gen 41:43 KJV)  And he made him to ride in the second chariot which he had; and they cried before him, Bow the knee: and he made him ruler over all the land of Egypt.

(Gen 41:44 KJV)  And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, I am Pharaoh, and without thee shall no man lift up his hand or foot in all the land of Egypt.

(Gen 41:46 KJV)  And Joseph was thirty years old when he stood before Pharaoh king of Egypt. And Joseph went out from the presence of Pharaoh, and went throughout all the land of Egypt.

Edited by tooldtocare
did not edit

Posted (edited)

Joseph who is now the de facto ruler over all of Egypt saves the Israelites who are experiencing a great famine and moves them to Egypt and gives them power over all the agriculture lands. Clearly they were not slaves as some would have believed.

(Gen 41:57 KJV)  And all countries came into Egypt to Joseph for to buy corn; because that the famine was so sore in all lands.

(Gen 42:1 KJV)  Now when Jacob saw that there was corn in Egypt, Jacob said unto his sons, Why do ye look one upon another?

(Gen 42:2 KJV)  And he said, Behold, I have heard that there is corn in Egypt: get you down thither, and buy for us from thence;

(Gen 42:3 KJV)  And Joseph's ten brethren went down to buy corn in Egypt.

(Gen 42:5 KJV)  And the sons of Israel came to buy corn among those that came: for the famine was in the land of Canaan.

(Gen 42:6 KJV)  And Joseph was the governor over the land, and he it was that sold to all the people of the land:

(Gen 42:25 KJV)  Then Joseph commanded to fill their sacks with corn, and to restore every man's money into his sack, and to give them provision for the way:

(Gen 45:20 KJV)  Also regard not your stuff; for the good of all the land of Egypt is yours.

(Gen 45:21 KJV)  And the children of Israel did so: and Joseph gave them wagons, according to the commandment of Pharaoh, and gave them provision for the way.

(Gen 47:1 KJV)  Then Joseph came and told Pharaoh, and said, My father [ISRAEL] and my brethren, and their flocks, and their herds, and all that they have, are come out of the land of Canaan; and, behold, they are in the land of Goshen.

(Gen 47:3 KJV)  And Pharaoh said unto his brethren, What is your occupation? And they said unto Pharaoh, Thy servants are shepherds, both we, and also our fathers.

(Gen 47:4 KJV)  They said moreover unto Pharaoh, For to sojourn in the land are we come; for thy servants have no pasture for their flocks; for the famine is sore in the land of Canaan: now therefore, we pray thee, let thy servants dwell in the land of Goshen.

(Gen 47:5 KJV)  And Pharaoh spake unto Joseph, saying, Thy father [ISRAEL] and thy brethren are come unto thee:

(Gen 47:6 KJV)  The land of Egypt is before thee; in the best of the land make thy father and brethren to dwell; in the land of Goshen let them dwell: and if thou knowest any men of activity among them, then make them rulers over my cattle.

(Gen 47:11 KJV)  And Joseph placed his father [ISRAEL] and his brethren, and gave them a possession in the land of Egypt, in the best of the land, in the land of Rameses, as Pharaoh had commanded.

NOTE: The Israelites pack up everything and move to Egypt leaving everything behind and live in Egypt for 400+ years   

Edited by tooldtocare

(Genesis 32:28) And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Iacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God, and with men, and hast preuailed.

Folks, I cannot place the time frame for the above name change.

help?

I'm partial to aesop's myself ......

11 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

I'm partial to aesop's myself ......

I prefer Greek Mythology. Every God had a purpose.

Is there a point to all this?

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

Is there a point to all this?

There sure was a whole lot of begatting going on back then ...

Posted (edited)

First thing I thought of on the Title of the post was the KG-V, King George 5th, Brit Battlewagon. 

Edited by Bartman

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I prefer Greek Mythology. Every God had a purpose.

Jason & the Argonauts still one of my all time Fav movies!

I got a pretty good kick out of Caligula too, some Wild dude there!

One Folder I have on one of my Ext HDs with movies is named "Swords, Togas, Muscles" for all those kind of flicks.

Edited by Bartman

3 hours ago, Bartman said:

Jason & the Argonauts still one of my all time Fav movies!

I got a pretty good kick out of Caligula too, some Wild dude there!

One Folder I have on one of my Ext HDs with movies is named "Swords, Togas, Muscles" for all those kind of flicks.

:)

Just some of the "Classics". Victor Mature pulling down the Temple, Jason & the Argonauts, think there are a couple more of Harryhausens stop motion animation flicks like the Sinbad ones. A couple of the Dubbed ones we saw as kids in the movies way back when. Steve Reeves was George (Superman) Reeves' brother. That's just some of what you saw at the movies on Saturdays for a Quarter. Those and Elvis movies.