ncbirdfan

I Don’t Know How To Explain To You That You Should Care About Other People

177 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Personally, I’m happy to pay an extra 4.3 percent for my fast food burger if it means the person making it for me can afford to feed their own family. If you aren’t willing to fork over an extra 17 cents for a Big Mac, you’re a fundamentally different person than I am.

I’m perfectly content to pay taxes that go toward public schools, even though I’m childless and intend to stay that way, because all children deserve a quality, free education. If this seems unfair or unreasonable to you, we are never going to see eye to eye.

If I have to pay a little more with each paycheck to ensure my fellow Americans can access health care? SIGN ME UP. Poverty should not be a death sentence in the richest country in the world. If you’re okay with thousands of people dying of treatable diseases just so the wealthiest among us can hoard still more wealth, there is a divide between our worldviews that can never be bridged.

I have felt this way for some time. I know that my tax money goes to other people and for some things I may not even remotely help me personally. But we are all in this country together. Some people call the US a Christian nation and there is no resemblance of that. We are a country that worships the rich and chastises the poor. I've heard people call the poor lazy parasites.

I've been fortunate thus far to live a successful life. I also know that that can all be taken away if something drastic happens like someone on my family (myself included) getting cancer or being in an automobile accident. For this reason, I am willing to let others enjoy some of the benefits of my fruits and labor. For someday that could be me and I know I could not do it alone.

Edited by Baltimatt
Add quote tag

I agree with this whole heartedly.

But and it's a big one, I can't force those that don't agree with that to follow suit.

Raise the minimum wage to the magic number to 15 bucks an hour today and it wouldn't effect me at all.  Mostly because I avoid fast food like the clap, except for that sausage, egg and cheese biscuit meal (#5) I indulge on once a week. But there are those that may be feeding 5 kids on an occasional belly bomber who may not feel the same and they may choose to forego the belly bomber and settle for a grilled cheese at home.  When that happens profits goes down and so do hours worked and number of employees.

Washington State I believe has been experiencing that as we speak with their own recent minimum wage increase.  So there you have it.  It's a nice feeling but so far not based on reality.

When did schlepping a burger become a career for people supporting families?  If you want a guy behind the counter to be able to support a family of 3-4 and a stay-at-home mom, pay his mortgage or rent, and have an annual vacation, that big Mac is going up a lot more than 17 cents.  Especially since almost all fast food workers are part time.  Should we pay him enough to support a family if he works 4 hours a day, 4 times a week?  If your heart is so tender it is touched by the plight of the acne riddled teenager supporting a wife and 3 kids while trying to pass 10th grade American History, by all means, leave him a tip.  But putting McDonald's out of business will not help him.  

1 hour ago, ncbirdfan said:

Personally, I’m happy to pay an extra 4.3 percent for my fast food burger if it means the person making it for me can afford to feed their own family. If you aren’t willing to fork over an extra 17 cents for a Big Mac, you’re a fundamentally different person than I am.

I’m perfectly content to pay taxes that go toward public schools, even though I’m childless and intend to stay that way, because all children deserve a quality, free education. If this seems unfair or unreasonable to you, we are never going to see eye to eye.

If I have to pay a little more with each paycheck to ensure my fellow Americans can access health care? SIGN ME UP. Poverty should not be a death sentence in the richest country in the world. If you’re okay with thousands of people dying of treatable diseases just so the wealthiest among us can hoard still more wealth, there is a divide between our worldviews that can never be bridged.

I have felt this way for some time. I know that my tax money goes to other people and for some things I may not even remotely help me personally. But we are all in this country together. Some people call the US a Christian nation and there is no resemblance of that. We are a country that worships the rich and chastises the poor. I've heard people call the poor lazy parasites.

I've been fortunate thus far to live a successful life. I also know that that can all be taken away if something drastic happens like someone on my family (myself included) getting cancer or being in an automobile accident. For this reason, I am willing to let others enjoy some of the benefits of my fruits and labor. For someday that could be me and I know I could not do it alone.

Good post, and I agree 

20 minutes ago, jdsample said:

When did schlepping a burger become a career for people supporting families?  If you want a guy behind the counter to be able to support a family of 3-4 and a stay-at-home mom, pay his mortgage or rent, and have an annual vacation, that big Mac is going up a lot more than 17 cents.  Especially since almost all fast food workers are part time.  Should we pay him enough to support a family if he works 4 hours a day, 4 times a week?  If your heart is so tender it is touched by the plight of the acne riddled teenager supporting a wife and 3 kids while trying to pass 10th grade American History, by all means, leave him a tip.  But putting McDonald's out of business will not help him.  

Nothing is going to put McD out of business. 

IMO jumping from about $7.50 per hour to $15 per hour was/is too much too fast.  If it was done in increments of say $1 or $2 per year, I don't think it would so bad.

49 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

IMO jumping from about $7.50 per hour to $15 per hour was/is too much too fast.  If it was done in increments of say $1 or $2 per year, I don't think it would so bad.

But it IS being done incrementally in the places that are doing it.  Not ONE single place is jumping from 7.50 to 15

2 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

Absolutely agree with this article.

1 hour ago, jdsample said:

When you travel as much as I did in the past you get a different perspective.  Those people "schlepping a burger" do a whole helluva lot more than folks like you give them credit for.  Paying people a decent wage isn't going to put McDonald's out of business.

I don't think anyone would disagree with this.

People have a problem and on WASTING tax dollars.

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

When you travel as much as I did in the past you get a different perspective.  Those people "schlepping a burger" do a whole helluva lot more than folks like you give them credit for.  Paying people a decent wage isn't going to put McDonald's out of business.

It won't put them out of business but less sales mean less hours for employees and less jobs.

Not to sound like an elitist, but a good deal of fast food customers come from low to mid low earners. And raising the price of their products will undoubtedly curtail sales.  As I said or should have said, I wish everyone could earn a livable wage to raise a family regardless to what they do, but unfortunately that's not reality based in a capitalist system.  

Edited by jonsensback

1 hour ago, jdsample said:

If you are going to put a value on every person's contribution to what you think their toils are worth to your way of life, then I guess a return to the feudal system is for you. Frankly, I neither know, nor care much what the price of a Big Mac is, but whatever it is, if you doubled it they would still sell shedfuls of the crap. And if they did go bust, then tough-titty. There is absolutely nothing commie about a fair days pay for a fair days work, perhaps your Big Mac is too cheap to start with.

"I Don’t Know How To Explain To You That You Should Care About Other People "

When this stops we can talk.  

And there are many ways you can  show you care about other people.  

3 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

It won't put them out of business but less sales mean less hours for employees and less jobs.

Not to sound like an elitist, but a good deal of fast food customers come from low to mid low earners. And raising the price of their products will undoubtedly curtail sales.  As I said or should have said, I wish everyone could earn a livable wage to raise a family regardless to what they do, but unfortunately that's not reality based in a capitalist system.  

I don't think their sales are going to be hurt one bit.  And you'd be surprised how many people who are not low to mid low earners go to fast food joints.  Hell, our current president is pretty dang rich and admittedly has eaten fast food for years.  As someone who traveled that's also a place where they rake in some big bucks because not only are they often the only option, it's usually also at a price that's marked up.  There are other capitalist systems that manage to take care of their people so it's not like it's some impossible pipe dream

Just now, workerbee said:

"I Don’t Know How To Explain To You That You Should Care About Other People "

When this stops we can talk.  

And there are many ways you can  show you care about other people.  

Sorry, but if fraud has to stop completely then why do we have any programs of any kind whatsoever?  There will ALWAYS be folks out there looking to game the system.  But to use them as a reason to avoid setting up a system at all is a pretty weak argument.

2 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

Great piece. Being human is a lost art at the zombie jamboree we call the GOP. Then when things blow up they look around like startled cows.  

7 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Do you have any links to support your claim? If so I would like to see it. I have friends living in Washington State and they claim that it has been successful there.

11 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

I don't think anyone would disagree with this.

People have a problem and on WASTING tax dollars.

By far, most of the waste is in the military budget, and people on the right just want it increased, more and more, while slashing threadbare programs that help people.

Just now, hst2 said:

By far, most of the waste is in the military budget, and people on the right just want it increased, more and more, while slashing threadbare programs that help people.

Your opinion is not fact

4 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

If you are going to put a value on every person's contribution to what you think their toils are worth to your way of life, then I guess a return to the feudal system is for you. Frankly, I neither know, nor care much what the price of a Big Mac is, but whatever it is, if you doubled it they would still sell shedfuls of the crap. And if they did go bust, then tough-titty. There is absolutely nothing commie about a fair days pay for a fair days work, perhaps your Big Mac is too cheap to start with.

Every single employee agreed to the wages they receive and are free to leave anytime.  That is called liberty.  Now you as a third party may disagree with the wage agreed upon by an employer and an employee, and you are welcome to not eat there and do your best to make the employee unemployed.  Do your worst. 

3 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Your opinion is not fact

In fact it is a flat out lie. 

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Do you have any links to support your claim? If so I would like to see it. I have friends living in Washington State and they claim that it has been successful there.

Do you or friends have Google?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/business/economy/seattle-minimum-wage.html

If you believe Berkley's study it would have little effect.

If you believe U of Washington which I read is more data based it has a "significant" effect. 

Three years ago, Seattle became one of the first jurisdictions in the nation to embrace a $15-an-hour minimum wage, to be phased in over several years.

Over the past week, two studies have purported to demonstrate the effects of the first stages of that increase — but with starkly diverging results.

The first study, by a team of researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, supports the conclusion of numerous studies before it, that increasing the minimum wage up to a level that is about half or less of an area’s typical wage leads to at most a small reduction in employment.

That roughly describes Seattle, which first increased its minimum wage to $11 an hour from $9.47 for large businesses in April 2015, then to $13 an hour for many of those businesses in January 2016. (Small businesses, and large ones that provide health insurance for workers, had lower increases.)

By contrast, the second study, which a group of researchers at the University of Washington released on Monday, suggests that the minimum wage has had a far more negative effect on employment than even skeptics of minimum-wage increases typically find. (Neither study has been formally peer-reviewed.)

The University of Washington authors held one significant advantage over other economists studying the issue: detailed data on hours and earnings for workers affected by the increase.

Several more articles available with the bulk of them depending on data used go with WU findings.

Edited by jonsensback

So what you are claiming is that there isn't enough data at this point - since there are two separate studies that disagree with each other?

Isn't the Berkley study more in line with virtually every other study that's ever been done on raising the minimum wage in the past?

1 minute ago, ncbirdfan said:

So what you are claiming is that there isn't enough data at this point - since there are two separate studies that disagree with each other?

I believe following the local study would make more sense than someone from afar .....