Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

AP: School districts rethink meal debt policies that shame kids

59 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jtowne-swim said:

Look I am not anti education and I could buy into this just understand school budgets and taxes would need to go up.

Have they ever gone down? I'm just saying what's the difference. If you want to see what is really wrong with public education, drive by Youth's Benefit Elementary school on Fallston Road (Rt. 152).  

16 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

Have they ever gone down? I'm just saying what's the difference. If you want to see what is really wrong with public education, drive by Youth's Benefit Elementary school on Fallston Road (Rt. 152).  

Why do you say that?

I assume you don't believe the old school was outdated and still viable?

Im not disagreeing I just don't know the particulars.

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

That's why I included the words you capitalized.

What does the rest of your post have to do with school lunches?

That that is why some kids desperately need the school lunch.

1 minute ago, mcorioles said:

Why do you say that?

I assume you don't believe the old school was outdated and still viable?

Im not disagreeing I just don't know the particulars.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/aegis/ph-ag-youth-benefit-delay-0519-20170518-story.html

There's been a substantial construction delay due to some issues with the footings.

As the site is under control of the general contractor, the problem can't be placed on the shoulders of the Board of Education.

I understand the expense of feeding children, I understand that some parents don't pay when they should.  But, what's the purpose of throwing away good food?  The school system has already paid for the food so throwing it away hasn't saved them any money.  The parents are not in the school and are not being shamed.  So why throw the food away to shame the child who cannot pay for it and has no control over it?

3 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

I understand the expense of feeding children, I understand that some parents don't pay when they should.  But, what's the purpose of throwing away good food?  The school system has already paid for the food so throwing it away hasn't saved them any money.  The parents are not in the school and are not being shamed.  So why throw the food away to shame the child who cannot pay for it and has no control over it?

If 'cafeteria ladies' now are anything like they were when I was in school, I totally understand. :D

9 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/aegis/ph-ag-youth-benefit-delay-0519-20170518-story.html

There's been a substantial construction delay due to some issues with the footings.

As the site is under control of the general contractor, the problem can't be placed on the shoulders of the Board of Education.

No it can't be. But the hideously complicated architecture can be. You need to see it to believe it.

1 hour ago, mrsmlh said:

I agree they shouldn't throw away food.  And no kid should ever feel shame for not having money to pay for a lunch.. Matter of fact, I think if a kid doesn't have money and he/she is not in the free lunch program, the school should have a system in line where the child's lunch get's paid through an account that is already set up. And if their isn't an account set up and the kid isn't the free lunch program, give the kid a lunch and bill the parents with as little as attention as possible. 

There are ways to assure the child lunch without shaming them.

14 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I agree they shouldn't throw away food.  And no kid should ever feel shame for not having money to pay for a lunch.. Matter of fact, I think if a kid doesn't have money and he/she is not in the free lunch program, the school should have a system in line where the child's lunch get's paid through an account that is already set up. And if their isn't an account set up and the kid isn't the free lunch program, give the kid a lunch and bill the parents with as little as attention as possible. 

There are ways to assure the child lunch without shaming them.

I agree with everything you have stated.

23 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

exactly right

bill the parents account

no kid should be hungry at school

1 hour ago, DreadPirateRoberts said:

exactly right

bill the parents account

no kid should be hungry at school

Ok and how much of a bill should they run up?

11 minutes ago, jtowne-swim said:

Ok and how much of a bill should they run up?

Whatever it comes to.  Sell it collection agencies and go from there.

38 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Wow, that's exactly what I was going to say.

20 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Wow, that's exactly what I was going to say.

We seem to think alike more and more once we understand each other more.

That's refreshing:D

1 minute ago, jonsensback said:

We seem to think alike more and more once we understand each other more.

That's refreshing:D

Yes it sure is

9 hours ago, jonsensback said:

Which raises the price for everyone

14 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

Which raises the price for everyone

so what's your solution?  let them go hungry?

I don't remember Anyone getting Free Meals back when I was in school. You either brought your own or bought the Cafeteria swill. To this day I can't even look at Kale, makes me Gag! I don't recall anyone sitting around crying 'cause they had nothing to eat. Free Meals came along After I was out of school I think.

On 7/5/2017 at 11:22 AM, blowboatbethesda said:

Who oversees the contractor? Who hired him/her?

10 hours ago, banner1124 said:

so what's your solution?  let them go hungry?

No simply have a line as to how much debt you can owe.

8 hours ago, Bartman said:

I don't remember Anyone getting Free Meals back when I was in school. You either brought your own or bought the Cafeteria swill. To this day I can't even look at Kale, makes me Gag! I don't recall anyone sitting around crying 'cause they had nothing to eat. Free Meals came along After I was out of school I think.

What exactly does that get off my lawn type rant have to do with the discussion?

For the record, there were plenty of people who didn't have anything to eat when you were in school.  And just like then there's no one "sitting around crying cause they had nothing to eat".  And just like then those students likely did much worse than everyone else because they were freaking hungry.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

No simply have a line as to how much debt you can owe.

And then what?

Say the line is at $100.  The parents don't pay and the line is crossed and they now owe $105.

Edited by mrsmlh

4 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

And then what?

Say the line is at $100.  The parents don't pay and the line is crossed and they now owe $105.

I think the problem is that some may never pay.  I wonder if the parents not paying are getting snap?  If so, just deduct from the snap the cost of the school lunch.  After all, the snap is to feed the kids anyway. 

If there are no repercussions, some will never pay.

The money could easily come out of the administrative budget, which is as always highly inflated and unmerited.